Ravens extend CB Tavon Young for further 3yrs $26m

AFlaccoSeagulls

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If we hand out a max contract to Judon...lmfao

who said max contract? that guy is playing on a 5th round deal so obviously any contract extension would make him fell "getting paid".

he proved to be a useful piece to this defense so hopefully ED can sign him early for (relatively) cheap. 6m per i would be very ok with.

Interesting to hear that Tavon played most of last season with a sports hernia. Helps explain why the organization thinks there's even better things to come from him.

I like that we're willing to bet on our own players to an extent and extend them early with the idea that their contracts could turn out to be bargains if they really take the next step towards being elite at their position. This seems like the first move we've made that really has the feel of a new DeCosta approach. 

6 hours ago, berlin calling said:

who said max contract? that guy is playing on a 5th round deal so obviously any contract extension would make him fell "getting paid".

he proved to be a useful piece to this defense so hopefully ED can sign him early for (relatively) cheap. 6m per i would be very ok with.

Tavon Young was a 4th round pick and is now the highest paid NB in the NFL. Judon being a 5th rounder means nothing when the team seems to view him as a future centerpiece OLB.

I’m gonna guess that all of these extension deals will run the same number of years. It’ll expire right as Lamar Jackson is set to become a free agent. And we’re either going to be signing him long term (hence having cap space available via contracts coming off the books) or be moving on from him in which case he must’ve done bad enough that we might be in a position to make bold moves and these contracts coming off the books equally would make sense.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:03 PM, DreamKid said:

Doesn't Stanley have two years under control because of the 5th year option? That said, it would give us more leverage in negotiations, just a quibble with the reference to walk-year language.

I would think Pierce is the more pressing guy to try and lock up this season.

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

He does, but that 5th year option is expensive for a guy picked that high. Better to do an extension beforehand to spread that cap hit out later on.

That 5th year should be used for those where you either have doubts about the players actual contribution and similar concerns. We should rather try to extend Stanley and maybe come off cheaper now than after the 5th year where he has more leverage. From my point of view, Stanley is not a player we want to overpay. Similar with Jimmy Smith, Stanley is a player we get 10-12 good games from a year. Paying elite money for good contribution in 50-70 percent of the games in a season isn't money well spent.

Archived