Leisher's 2019 Mock Draft 2-21-19

jleisher

My scenario for this mock is #1: Protect Rodgers, #2: Rush Defense, #3 DB/Safety, #4 Receiving Group and #5. ST.  For this mock, I used Matt Miller's big board dated 2-20-19.   I know I am not the smartest when it comes to contracts and cap space, so bare with me.  

2019 Cap Space:  $34,000,000

Cuts:

#38 - CB <forge-entity title="Tramon Williams" slug="tramon-williams" code="player">Tramon Williams</forge-entity>TWill S/CB  ($4,750,000)  Maybe offer him a coaching intern job?

2018-madison-cole-hsCole Madison G  ($407,833)  Need to cut the cord, IMO he's not going to play again.

#11 - WR <forge-entity title="Trevor Davis" slug="trevor-davis" code="player">Trevor Davis</forge-entity>Trevor Davis RS/WR  ($720,000)

#53 - LB <forge-entity title="Nick Perry" slug="nick-perry" code="player">Nick Perry</forge-entity>Nick Perry Edge  ($3,337,500)

#78 - T <forge-entity title="Jason Spriggs" slug="jason-spriggs" code="player">Jason Spriggs</forge-entity>Jason Spriggs T/G  ($1,000,000)  Just isn't panning out, IMO.

New 2019 Cap Space:  $44,215,333

Resigns ERFA's:  

#81 - WR <forge-entity title="Geronimo Allison" slug="geronimo-allison" code="player">Geronimo Allison</forge-entity>Geronimo Allison WR

#16 - WR Jake KumerowJake Kumerow WR

#85 - TE <forge-entity title="Robert Tonyan" slug="robert-tonyan" code="player">Robert Tonyan</forge-entity>Robert Tonyan TE

#62 - G <forge-entity title="Lucas Patrick" slug="lucas-patrick" code="player">Lucas Patrick</forge-entity>Lucas Patrick C/G  (All others we let walk.)

URFA's:

Smith-Preston-Headshot-2017Preston Smith Edge Redskins  (3yrs/$33m, $10m cap in 2019)

dc2uregfhavj1nmcrhpd.jpgDavid Irving DL Cowboys  (2yrs/$14m, $6m cap in 2019)

Crowder-Jamison-Headshot-2017Jamison Crowder WR Redskins  (2yrs/$10m, $4m cap in 2019)

180606_barrett_headShaquil Barret Edge Denver  (2yrs/$14m, $6m cap in 2019)

New 2019 Cap Space:  $18,215,333  (Gives some wiggle room for ERFA's and FA's contract adjustments if needed.)

2019 Mock Draft:

#12.  T.J. Hockenson NFL

Scouting Report: T.J. Hockenson

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Iowa Position: Tight End Class: Sophomore Height: 6-5 Weight: 245 Projected Draft Round: 1-3

Scouting Report:

One of the best, if not the best run blocking tight end prospect. Sets his feet quickly, and doesn’t lose balance when shuffling right to left back or forward while blocking. Gets his hands locked and is relentless with his blocking assignment through the whistle. Able to find defenders to block at the next level in space as well, and takes good angles to seal off running lanes. As the season progressed, showed off remarkable ability to catch the ball as well, making him one of the most well rounded tight end prospects in the draft. (If he comes in as advertised and beats out Graham for the starters job, Graham could be released.  Would free up some extra $$$, and another vet TE could be signed.)

#30.  Redskins call to trade up, offer #46, #76 and #154 (685pts) for #30 (600pts).  Redskins select Taylor Rapp S  Washington.

#44.  Johnathan Abram NFL

Scouting Report: Johnathan Abram

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s 2019 Mock Draft

School: Mississippi State Position: Safety Class: Senior Height: 6-1 Weight: 200 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

Safeties in the NFL are becoming less and less specialized, so they all start with one dominant skill, but have to display a versatile array of skills to be picked high in the draft. Johnathan Abram comes first as a hard hitting, in the box type safety, and he has plenty of tape to display those talents. However, he has shown good instincts with finding the ball and making plays in coverage. His ability to cover tight ends and running backs, cover deep, and continue to produce against the run and with blitzes, he can secure a high place in the next year’s draft.

#46.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson NFL

Scouting Report: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

2019 NFL Mock Draft

School: Florida Position: Safety Class: Junior Height: 6-0 Weight: 207 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

A converted cornerback, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson had issues adapting to the new position in terms of taking angles on tackles and awareness in a different position. However, as he got more comfortable, he showed flashes of being an elite safety prospect as his comfort level grew.  (Abrams and Gardner-Johnson with Jones.)

#75.  Chris Lindstrom NFL

Scouting Report: Chris Lindstrom

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Boston College Position: Offensive Guard Class: Senior Height: 6-4 Weight: 305 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:

Predominantly man-blocking, old school offensive line blocking scheme teams will find his skillset ideal. He has experienced playing outside as well, but looks more natural as interior man to man blocker, particularly in the run game. Plays with a burst you normally see just with speed rushing defensive ends, and snaps into position off of the snap. Seems to have a lot of natural strength, as he plays stronger than his stated height and weight.

#76.  Zach Allen NFL

Scouting Report: Zach Allen

2019 NFL Mock Draft

School: Boston College Position: Defensive End Class: Senior Height: 6-4 Weight: 284 lbs Projected Draft Round: 1-2

Scouting Report:

Looks the part of a left defensive end in an attacking 4-3 defense, but has the ability to show he has enough explosion and agility to play from the right side as well. Well built, and has the frame to add more weight without losing athleticism, could demonstrate the ability to move inside when needed. With his ideal height, lengthy, and body type, will be interesting to see how he pivots with his development- will he add girth and become more of an interior player, show more explosiveness and become a premier edge rusher, or continue to develop as an excellent run stopper with some pass rush skills.  (Beef him up to play DE, D-Line of Daniels, Clark, Irving, Lowry and Lancaster.)

#114.  Ben Powers NFL

Scouting Report: Ben Powers

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Oklahoma Position: Offensive Guard Class: Senior Height: 6-4 Weight: 315 Projected Draft Round: 1-3

Scouting Report:

Works well in space in Oklahoma’s wide open spread system. Gets to the next level quickly, and is used extensively as a pulling guard. Will have to adapt to having his hand in the dirt more in the NFL game, but appears to have sound technique as far as the scheme that he is in. Good overall build and frame. Very good in pass protection, but not quite a mauler in the run game.  (The new IOL is set, Powers LG, Linsley C and Lindstrom RG.)

#118.  Austin Bryant - 2019 NFL Draft

Scouting Report: Austin Bryant

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Clemson Position: Defensive End Class: Senior Height: 6-5 Weight: 265 lbs Projected Draft Round: 2-5

Scouting Report:

A physically gifted athlete that has all of the athletic ability that NFL evaluators like to see in a defensive end. A fairly raw propsect that needs to continue to work on his technique, particularly his hand work, and developing more pass rush moves. Very productive, but surrounded by elite, future NFL talent, his draft process will be very important, particularly with measuring his explosive potential, which will help determine whether he is better suited as a left defensive end, or if he has the high ceiling allowing him to be a premier, right side defensive end.  (Pass rush, Irving DE, Allen DE, Smith, Barrett, Bryant and Fackrell at Edge.)

#151.  Ben Burr-Kirven NFL

Scouting Report: Ben Burr-Kirven

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Washington Position: Inside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6-0 Weight: 222 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:

Elite athleticism and uses his burst to generate power via momentum. A tackling machine that quickly diagnoses plays and uses a rare explosiveness to punish ball carriers and receivers. Takes good angles, and rarely misses tackles. Able to cover sideline to sideline and not a liability in coverage. Position at the next level could be anywhere from off the ball linebacker to nickel safety to hybrid safety/OLB.  (Offers speed next to Martinez and adds to ST)

#154.  

Scouting Report: Keeland Doss

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: UC Davis Position: Wide Receiver Class: Senior Height: 6’3 Weight: 206 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:

Out of the box ready to play NFL type receiver that runs exceptional routes and understands the subtle aspects of the passing game. Burner for a big man, and can create separation by running past defenders, and wins contested balls. Hits the ball at its highest point and fights for every catch. Very mature, and has superb character and leadership skills.  (This is one of my guys, adds another young WR to the stable.  Could be out J'Mon Moore, forcing Moore and Krumerow to battle for the #7 spot.)

#187.  Kaleb McGary NFL

Scouting Report: Kaleb McGary

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Washington Position: Offensive Tackle Class: Senior Height: 6-6 Weight: 318 Projected Draft Round: 2-4

Scouting Report:

When able to set against a defender is almost impossible to beat, but for a tackle with such a long, athletic frame, has tight footwork. Strong hands and anchor, and when facing a bull rush, stands his ground. Good awareness in pass pro. As with most offensive tackles coming out of this system, will need to completely re-work much of his technique, but his upside is quite high.  (Bulaga's replacement in 2020.)

#196.  Blace Brown NFL

Scouting Report: Blace Brown

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Troy Position: Cornerback Class: Senior Height: 6-0 Weight: 185 Projected Draft Round: 3-5

Scouting Report:

Ballhawk corner that plays with exceptional fluidity and speed. A finesse player that spent his first year in college on offense, he plays the corner position much like a wide receiver that believes he has equal rights to every pass thrown toward the receiver he is covering. Always willing to tackle, he will need to work on his tackling technique to be more effective, and to stay healthy in the long run. (ST ace and CB depth)

#228.  Andrew Wingard

Scouting Report: Andrew Wingard

2019 NFL Mock Draft

DraftGeek’s Mock Draft

School: Wyoming Position: Safety Class: Senior Height: 5-11 Weight: 209 lbs Projected Draft Round: 3-6

Scouting Report:

A fearless defensive back that seemingly has “no self preservation” instincts in regards to his tackling ferocity. Primarily an in the box safety, with exceptional break down skills and ability to wrap up ball carriers. Can cover running backs and tight ends, but could have some issues in deep coverage if asked to play “centerfield” as a safety. Excellent football intelligence and plays hard through the whistle.  (ST player and S depth.)

Scenario is answered:

#1.  Added IOL Powers and Lindstrom.  Powers could push Taylor for the LG spot resulting in Taylor playing swing G or released.  OL of Bak, Taylor, Linsley, Lindstrom, Patrick, McGary and Bulaga.  OL improved.

#2.  Pass rush, added Irving and Allen to the DLine.  Starters Daniels, Clark and Irving.  Lowry, Allen and Lancaster rotational.  Edge, Smith and Barrett starters with Bryant and Fackrell rotational.  Pass rush improved.

#3.  DB/S, Abrams, Gardner-Johnson, Wingard and Brown adds depth and both Abrams and Gardner-Johnson could rotate with Jones as the starters.

#4.  Receiving group, added Jamison as slot, Allison is resigned. Drafted Doss and Hockerson is receiving group is improved. Adams, Allison, MVS, ESB, Jamison, Doss and Krumerow are the 7 WR.  Hockerson, Graham and Tonyan at TE.

#5.  ST, Wingard, Brown, Abram, Gardner-Johnson and Burr-Kiven all offer speed to defense and ST.  ST improved.

This is by far the best mock you’ve done. The FA signings are good. I almost think P. Smith is a lock to be a Packer, or at least we’ll make our push for him. I disagree with cutting Spriggs only because he’s so damn cheap at this point, and has lots of experience. I know he’s not good, but also no real reason to get rid of him. 

The draft is molto bene. I bristle at the idea of a TE at 12, BUT if we’re going to get a top tier prospect at the position, who is graded top tier before having to develop, that is where you have to take one. I think Hock is as good a prospect at TE as you’ll find. 

Then you traded down while still grabbing a few of my favorite players. Abram, CGJ, Allen (who I do think could slip when he tests poorly), and Lindstrom. 

I guess my only criticism is we miss out on an Edge and DL class that is super good at the top of the draft, BUT the players you replaced them with are a bunch of my favorites, so it’s tough for me to complain 

I don't know man.... The FAs you got fill needs, but with all the teams who have money to burn?  I don't think you get any of them at those prices.  In a year where there is soooo much talent in the front seven you walk away with meh.  Heading into the season with Josh Jones as our veteran safety with three rookies?  There is no reason to cut Spriggs or Madison, both are better than Powers and McGary.  I've liked you other efforts better.

Cutting Spriggs and Davis is odd, no backup OT and now no PR/KR. I would not, repeat would not go near Irving of the Cowboys. If Jerry gets rid of him...he's got to be really bad. I live in Dallas area and not sure what it would take for him to turn his life around. 

Draft is void of RB selections and that will be needed for ML's offense. TE is too early and as mentioned above, Allen in the third is questionable. One OT and two OGs drafted, it would be the other way around 2-OTs and 1-OG in the draft. The players you picked are solid, still see a DE/Edge guy at 12 even with the FA additions.

Interesting offseason. I like a lot of the players. I'm not sure this is my most ideal scenario but I get it.

Things I find questionable

1. Spriggs cut- he's a backup level RT who's cheap. There isn't really value cutting him outright. At least in 2019, he'd be better than a rookie midrounder

2. 2 rookie safeties that would likely be starting. I get the Pettine uses 3 safety looks and we need help, but I think a better (and based off the market more realistic scenario) would be drafting 1 S and signing 1 S (maybe swap the Barret signing)

3. Crowder is another guy I'm lukewarm on. If we got him, I'd buy in, but if we're going to get an injury prone wr I'd almost rather sign Cobb back (familiar with AR)

Overall good job. Definitely a body filling draft

Before you give real money to Irving, better check if he will even play.  Lots of issues there.  Don't get me wrong, I'd take a "flier" on him, but it is closer to the league minimum due to his issues right now.

Other than that?  I like the mock.

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Interesting offseason. I like a lot of the players. I'm not sure this is my most ideal scenario but I get it.

Things I find questionable

1. Spriggs cut- he's a backup level RT who's cheap. There isn't really value cutting him outright. At least in 2019, he'd be better than a rookie midrounder

2. 2 rookie safeties that would likely be starting. I get the Pettine uses 3 safety looks and we need help, but I think a better (and based off the market more realistic scenario) would be drafting 1 S and signing 1 S (maybe swap the Barret signing)

3. Crowder is another guy I'm lukewarm on. If we got him, I'd buy in, but if we're going to get an injury prone wr I'd almost rather sign Cobb back (familiar with AR)

Overall good job. Definitely a body filling draft

Understand your concerns, and they are fair.  You still have some other T's, Light or resign McCray or Panky if you wish.  Don't forget, Jones will be in backfield and with $18m in space, Campbell could also be in play.    Crowder, I agree with you, injuries, but wanted to throw a change up in there.  

15 hours ago, jleisher said:

New 2019 Cap Space:  $18,215,333  (Gives some wiggle room for ERFA's and FA's contract adjustments if needed.)

Cutting Spriggs and Davis and Madison when you are still left with $18M in cap space is foolish.  The cap savings you think you are getting needs to be offset by at least the minimum salary of a player to replace them on the roster..figure it as 500K

Don't love or hate it.  If  we got starting caliber production from the 2 UFA OLB signees, we'd be closer to the playoffs than we were last year.  

Protecting Rodgers isn't the #1 goal of this scenario if we're cutting Spriggs.  For such little savings, it doesn't make sense to cut either Madison (who's not costing money or a roster spot) or Spriggs who's a decent back up Tackle.

• - I want nothing to do with Irving for anything outside of veterans minimum.  Whether it's the drugs or his character, he's not the type of guy I'd invite into the locker room.
  • - I'd love an OLB with our first pick but signing Smith and Barret would help our current situation and wouldn't force us to reach for the position early in the draft if one of the top 5 or 6 guys aren't available.
  • - I'd be ok with Crowder at that price but that's an awful packed WR room (Adams, Allison, Crowder, MVS, ESB, Moore, Kumerow and Doss).  We kept 8 WRs on our initial 53 last year but we IRed 2 immediately.  I think 6 is probably the most realistic number.  Don't see a kick or punt returner there and I think we're going to need one from this group.  Don't see us adding both Crowder and Doss.

Draft

• - Though Hock is one of my favorite players in this draft, 12 is too early for my liking.  If he's our first pick, I'd prefer a trade back. 
  • - Like the double dip at safety early since we didn't sign one as UFA in this scenario
  • - Lindstrom and Allen a #75 & #76 would be great value
  • - Don't see Bryant fitting in all that well on this defense. 
  • - Think Doss will be long gone by #154. 
  • - That's an awful lot of DBs.

Archived