Free agents 2019

finsfan47

Tunsil is going to get 18 mil a season when he signs, whether it is with Miami or not. Due to the salary cap going up, inflation has set in across most positions. Teams that use free agents are going to be paying through the nose. Due to loosing James, and not landing Bridgewater, I think that the Dolphins are going to have to be more aggressive in the draft. Miami has to find a starting DE, OT, and a QB to bring in for competition. Based on who the Dolphins targeted in free agency, it looks like Miami wants a mobile QB. That means that Drew Lock is the only QB that could possibly be there at 13, as Haskins isn't mobile. The free agent offerings at RT are slim to none at this point, and Jesse Davis is the only OT on the roster that has played RT. As of today, our line is Tunsil, Sitton, Kilgore, Asiata, and Davis. That's a whole lot of mediocrity.

1 hour ago, ericsvibe said:

Tunsil is going to get 18 mil a season when he signs, whether it is with Miami or not. Due to the salary cap going up, inflation has set in across most positions. Teams that use free agents are going to be paying through the nose. Due to loosing James, and not landing Bridgewater, I think that the Dolphins are going to have to be more aggressive in the draft. Miami has to find a starting DE, OT, and a QB to bring in for competition. Based on who the Dolphins targeted in free agency, it looks like Miami wants a mobile QB. That means that Drew Lock is the only QB that could possibly be there at 13, as Haskins isn't mobile. The free agent offerings at RT are slim to none at this point, and Jesse Davis is the only OT on the roster that has played RT. As of today, our line is Tunsil, Sitton, Kilgore, Asiata, and Davis. That's a whole lot of mediocrity.

You’re probably correct on Tunsil.  In reference to James to Denver; I’m happy for him but I’m glad we aren’t paying him that much......He exceeded my expectations when we drafted him and has proven that he was indeed a first round talent.

We are reportedly heavily targeting QB Tyrod Taylor after losing out on Bridgewater.  I would personally prefer Taylor over Tannehill and my reasoning is that I believe Taylor is more efficient and has much better pocket awareness.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/tyrod_taylor_reportedly_one_of_top_targets_for_dolphins/s1_127_28621439

Additionally it appears that we have decided to keep Devante Parker for a little longer.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/devante_parker_to_remain_with_dolphins_on_new_two_year_deal/s1_127_28621988

Edited by Swampbilly

Right now my Free Agent hopes are;

QB Tyrod Taylor

NT Danny Shelton

Edge Rusher Cameron Wake

With Juwaun James gone for Denver, Branch and Larsen and Amendola gone, and with Tannehill and Quinn on the outs........we should have the cap to make this happen.......depending on XMans extension numbers.

That would leave our draft priorities as;

Long term QB ( probably not this draft but we will see )

3-4 Hybrid Edge Defender

OG

RT

Center

We could likely come out of the draft with 3 of those 5 positions filled......and that wouldn’t be too awful for year 1.

Edited by Swampbilly

Looks like we just lost Wake to the Titans.  3 years, $23Mil, $10Mil garauntee.

Going to miss seeing Cam in the Aqua and Orange.  I wish him well and hope to see him bust the 100 sacks career mark next season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/12/cameron-wake-agrees-to-three-year-deal-with-titans/

Edited by Swampbilly

I think that the players avoiding the Dolphins speaks volumes about how the league feels about Flores as a HC. Pretty much the only players willing to sign with Miami are former Patriots, and current Dolphins. It has been reported that James had a comparable offer from Miami, but he choose to go to Denver. I'm not worried either because there are going to be ton of unemployed QB's in the next 4 weeks that Miami will be able to choose from, I just don't know if any will fit the style of QB the team wants.

This is exactly what I thought Miami would do and should in FA. Hear me out....

2019 is lost. Rebuild is on.  No reason to shell out big money for anyone.  Get 3rd round comp picks in 2020.  Get younger.

The plan should be to carry over as much cap room as possible.  The more money you can roll over to 2020 the better.  In 2019/2020 the Dolphins will pay BIG money to X. Howard and L. Tunsil.  This is smart.  Paying these two while you have your QB on a cheap rookie deal is the path to success in the NFL.

The positions you pay are QB, DE, LT, CB.  Not WR (Mike Wallace) or LB (Ellerbe, Kiko etc). By 2021 you have Franchise QB on rookie deal, young pass rusher (DE hopefully #13 pick this year) on rookie deal but you retain top talent at LT and CB. By the time you have to pay the QB, Tunsil and X will be older and not command top dollar.  Hopefully you’re finding the next X and L. Tunsil while you’re paying QB and DE.  It’s a cycle.  

DE in 2019

QB in 2020

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

This is exactly what I thought Miami would do and should in FA. Hear me out....

2019 is lost. Rebuild is on.  No reason to shell out big money for anyone.  Get 3rd round comp picks in 2020.  Get younger.

The plan should be to carry over as much cap room as possible.  The more money you can roll over to 2020 the better.  In 2019/2020 the Dolphins will pay BIG money to X. Howard and L. Tunsil.  This is smart.  Paying these two while you have your QB on a cheap rookie deal is the path to success in the NFL.

The positions you pay are QB, DE, LT, CB.  Not WR (Mike Wallace) or LB (Ellerbe, Kiko etc). By 2021 you have Franchise QB on rookie deal, young pass rusher (DE hopefully #13 pick this year) on rookie deal but you retain top talent at LT and CB. By the time you have to pay the QB, Tunsil and X will be older and not command top dollar.  Hopefully you’re finding the next X and L. Tunsil while you’re paying QB and DE.  It’s a cycle.  

DE in 2019

QB in 2020

I agree with you on the Critical positions!!!!!

But in regards to your thoughts on what Miami would do.......As Lee Corso ( fun fact, he’s a Miami native ) would say, “ Not so fast my friend”.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26254248/bridgewater-meets-dolphins-no-deal-done

Apparently the reports of Bridgewater re-signing with New Orleans were premature.

They should definitely sign TB if the price is right. If he looks like his early self in the new system, and is a guy we can move forward with, then I'd be all for it. Especially with him being a Miami native, I think it'sa good move for the franchise. Regardless what happens, we could still be in a position to draft a top QB if we think that's the direction we should go in in 2020.

Apparently the reason we didn’t get QB Tyrod Taylor over LA was a $2Mil difference.  We offered Tyrod and Bridgewater contracts worth $10 Mil over 2 years.  Tyrod got $7 Mil a year with LA and right now New Orleans has a contract for Bridgewater for 1 year $7Mil.

The reason we want to bring in a QB at $5Mil a year has to do with Compensatory picks ( among other more obvious factors ).  If we do land a FA QB at $5Mil a year then that would assure us a 3rd round Compensatory pick for losing RT Jawuan James.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:46 PM, ericsvibe said:

I think that the players avoiding the Dolphins speaks volumes about how the league feels about Flores as a HC. Pretty much the only players willing to sign with Miami are former Patriots, and current Dolphins. It has been reported that James had a comparable offer from Miami, but he choose to go to Denver. I'm not worried either because there are going to be ton of unemployed QB's in the next 4 weeks that Miami will be able to choose from, I just don't know if any will fit the style of QB the team wants.

I think it has much more to do with the fact that the Fins are clearing tanking.  If you could get the same money from a team that has aspirations of being competitive, you choose that every time.