Free agents 2019

finsfan47

50 minutes ago, Dolphinmeister said:

If Miami is set on tanking this year I think it would be a lot of fun watching Ryan Fitzpatrick throw the ball all over the field.

Agreed......except Fitzmagic might show up for 3-4 games and that could be 1 or 2 wins too many LOL!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

Agreed......except Fitzmagic might show up for 3-4 games and that could be 1 or 2 wins too many LOL!!!

Yeah if we are going to tank we need to do it right for once. Give me Glennon, Osweiler or Sanchez. Hell I'd roll with Fales before I'd sign Fitzpatrick.

I may be naïve here, but I do not expect any first year coach (or any HC) to tank purposely! I wouldn't want that coach on my team, that's just me. Not only that, but you will lose a lot of the "good" player's hearts in the process. Our cap space should be great and we may add a few more picks to our pouch, no need to throw in towels. "We play to win the game"! next year, we can trade up with some picks and some overachieving divas (I am sure one will blossom) for a top 3 pick depending on where "the one" is projected. I just don't see Flores or even Grier hoping Fitz tanks for the chance at #1 in 2020. If you want to lose the locker room, go with the "tanking" solution so you can continue getting %50 percent from your NFL athletes. *Soap box secured

4 hours ago, PhinsDan said:

I may be naive here, but I do not expect any first year coach (or any HC) to tank purposely! I wouldn't want that coach on my team, that's just me. Not only that, but you will lose a lot of the "good" player's hearts in the process. Our cap space should be great and we may add a few more picks to our pouch, no need to throw in towels. "We play to win the game"! next year, we can trade up with some picks and some overachieving divas (I am sure one will blossom) for a top 3 pick depending on where "the one" is projected. I just don't see Flores or even Grier hoping Fitz tanks for the chance at #1 in 2020. If you want to lose the locker room, go with the "tanking" solution so you can continue getting %50 percent from your NFL athletes. *Soap box secured

I don't think its naive.  We are just going to have to wait and see how the season plays out.  It's quite possible we end up with a top 5 pick looking at our talent on the roster right now, but this draft and Fitzpatrick could change that ( I hope not ).  I expect us to go Defense heavy in this draft with 1 starting caliber OLineman in the first three rounds, be it a RT, OG, or C since all are needed.  Probably one more OLineman in the other rounds for depth.  If eveything works out then I would expect a potential franchise QB in the 2020 first round with another OLineman in rounds 1 to 3 and then yet another for depth in rounds 4-7. 

Sorry about the draft talk, I'm getting excited for it.  Anyways I don't think it's naive to think a new HC and first time true GM want to field the very best product they can for now and the long term.  It seems Grier is trying to manage both.......otherwise why sign ANY Free Agents.

I think we as a fan base have hopped on the tank bandwagon, but I heard it explained another way which makes more sense. I was listening to a draft podcast that wasn't Dolphins specific. When it came to 13, the couple of guys starting talking about the Dolphins. One said that it is very clear to him that Miami is taking this year to clear the salary cap mess, not to tank for a better pick in 20. He explained that cutting the fat out of the roster clears the way to make a big free agent push in 21, when they are scheduled to have a huge amount of space. They build with this draft and some smart free agents such as Ryan Fitz, let all of the dead cap wash out, and then address next year what ever holes appear this year. They all agreed that Miami will spend all of it's picks in the trenches, and they will most likely trade out of pick 13 to get some additional picks in the top 3 rounds. I have to agree that I don't think Miami is tanking. I love watching Fitz play. He has beaten the Dolphins so many times with a late 4th quarter bomb. He is a poor mans Bret Favre, warts and all. He brings passion, and he is going to do everything he can to win. Fitz also fits our offense perfectly, his money throw is dropping bombs in stride deep down the field. Stills, Grant, and Wilson excel in this. In fact, RT's inability to hit wide open receivers in stride was frustrating. Fitz will make those throws. On another topic, I have the feeling the Mike G is going to be converted to WR. He was basically a WR in college. There is way too much receiving talent there to just throw him away because he can't block. Lets be honest, he was a waste with RT anyway as RT has never been accurate on his ball placement. If a QB can hang a pass over his head where he can elevate to get it, he is almost impossible to defend with a #3 or #4 CB. Put him in the short middle in a 4 or 5 WR set and let him make plays. Fitz is also very good at fade routes, and Mike G was built for the fade. Another beat reporter said that Miami will sign a record breaking amount of undrafted free agents this year, that it has been rumored that the scouting staff has been working the Div 2 and small schools hard looking for priority free agents after the draft.

Fitzpatrick has put up some nice seasons at times and very decent career numbers, I expect just as good of QB play from him as Miami has gotten from the QB spot the last 2 seasons. I just want  to clarify my thoughts on the coming season, I would never think Miami  would purposely lose games to get a better draft pick. My thoughts are if you bring in a new coach that is on board with a total purge of over paid and veteran talent and not signing any new blue chip free agents and putting your short term future on draft picks and mid tear talent then winning is not your main focus for the season coming up. I do feel that this strategy is the best to get the franchise back to a perennial playoff contender. You never see New England making a big splash in free agency, they draft very well with added comp. picks they get by letting soon to be over paid and over stayed vets go and making very good specific trades for highly talented players when the price and fit is right.

If Fitzpatrick stays healthy the whole season and Miami does not start a rookie drafted QB at some point this season I expect the usual 6 to 8 wins this season. 

1 hour ago, FinSting said:

I'm just worried the switch to a 3-4 defense will prove so effective we'll win 6 or 7 games and miss out on a franchise QB in the 2020 draft...

You mean 4-3 / 3-4 Hybrid defense.  Our defensive alignment has never really been the problem.  The problem has been ineffective adjustments and front 7 overall performance.

Edited by Swampbilly

11 hours ago, FinSting said:

I'm just worried the switch to a 3-4 defense will prove so effective we'll win 6 or 7 games and miss out on a franchise QB in the 2020 draft...

I would be impressed with Flores if he musters up more than 6 wins in first year with this dysfunction. In which case we just need to let it play out. Maybe we can trade up from mid-round.