2018 quarterbacks vs 2019 quarterbacks

Gmen

The 2018 quarterback class was highly touted, but only one of the five first rounders had a good rookie year. Darnold, Allen, Rosen combined for 54% completions and more interceptions than touchdown passes. Even by rookie standards, disappointing seasons all around.

Given this information and knowing what you know now, would you rather have one of those guys, or take a chance with Murray, Haskins or Lock? Or would you rather wait until the 2020 class? Or would you rather have Nick Foles?

The Giants got a lot of criticism for passing on the quarterbacks for Barkley. One year in, Barkley is a top 3 running back (I’d argue the best) in the league, while the quarterbacks have question marks surrounding them. I firmly believe that the Giants have been vindicated, especially with Haskins within reach this year.

What are your thoughts?

2018 was 100x better than this upcoming class. Yeah Darnold and Rosen disappointed, but they'll be fine.

The "sure things" in the 2018 QB class were significantly higher than the "sure things" in 2019.

The Giants probably should catch some flack for taking Saquon over a QB, but it's not like it was a horrible decision unless they struggle to find that guy in the future. I have more faith in Darnold turning it around than any of these rookie QB's becoming great players. I do like Haskins Jones and Murray, but all 3 would be ranked below the big 3 from last year for me.

A potential franchise QB with question marks is still better than a flawless RB prospect, but I don't think taking Barkley will hinder your franchise all that much. I think the fact that the rest of the team, outside of like 2-3 other players, sucks would be my concern.

Eli is done. If they give him another year there....

Image result for conceited meme

Will Grier may be my favorite Day 2 QB prospect in a while. I like his accuracy and ability to throw the ball from the pocket. I personally think that he's going to have some success at the next level. If I'm the Saints, Patriots, or a team with an aging QB/soon to be middling free agent QB, I'm drafting him in Round 2 or 3. JMHO

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The top of the 2018 QB Draft was better (Day 1). However, I like the Day 2 and Day 3 options a lot better in 2019.

Yeah.  This is pretty much how i feel about it.

Last year had a great "top end" with a lot of upside in every different flavor imaginable.  But outside the 1st round, it was kind of a complete wasteland other than a few later round flyer types.

This year is pretty much the inverse.  The very top feels like it lags behind 2018 in both "upside" and just the volume of guys in that conversation for the 1st round.  But i actually really like the rest of this QB draft, especially with ~Day2 types.  Miles better than the "second wave" of QBs last year...which was basically non-existent imo.

Everyone's gonna have their own takes on where a guy like Haskins would fit into last year's class.  Just as there were rankings all over the place among the 4-5 "1st round QBs" last year, depending on what people want or look for in a QB prospect.  But i can't see anyone failing to find at least 1 or 2 QBs from last year that they'd have taken ahead of Haskins...if not more.  And just the fact that there were so many more guys firmly in that conversation is a huge difference.

Can't call this year a great QB class because of that lack of top-end options or a surefire headliner...but it's not a completely hopeless class either, with a lot of guys who could carve out good careers in the NFL.  I wouldn't even bat an eye if 20 years from now, we see more "NFL roster games" out of the 2019 QB class than the 2018 group.

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The top of the 2018 QB Draft was better (Day 1). However, I like the Day 2 and Day 3 options a lot better in 2019.

Absolutely. Grier is probably my favorite QB in this draft (although that’s not saying much) and I really like Ryan Finley as well, that dude is super smart with football IQ and just a pure gamer. 

Pre-Combine Thought:

@dh_simba7 > 2018 QB Class

Size ✅
Football IQ ✅
Arm Talent ✅
Accuracy ✅
Pocket Passer ✅
Production ✅
Big Game Performance ✅

You can knock the experience (1-year starter) and C- running skills but it’s hard to poke holes in his game... Classic QB1

FWIW Bucky Brooks thinks Haskins is better than anyone in the 2018 class. 

Baker gives 2018 the edge, but take him away and I prefer 2019.

I like Haskins more than Darnold.

I liked Allen more than Lock.

I like Murray more than Lamar Jackson. 

I like Jones/Grier more than Lauletta/Rudolph.

The Giants passing on Darnold was a blessing for them. He's Andy Dalton once he hits his ceiling. Saquon was the much better pick.

I don't love Haskins as a prospect, but there is no question that his face is more starter quality than Darnold or Lamar Jackson..

Archived