Around the league v.1.0

RaidersAreOne

44 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Figured this would be an appropriate thread for discussions/news regarding the other 31 teams (who cares right?).

I for one hope we look at newly released defender Kony Ealy. He's only 25 and would be a solid depth/rotational player for our struggling D.

Who's spot on the 53 is he gonna take: Mack, Edwards, Ward or Autry?

58 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Not any of those 4? You act like this is Madden from the mid 2000's where there's a minimum/maximum amount of players you can have at each position.

Well, there kinda of is for depth purposes but I understand what you are saying.

Just asking who he'd replace?

Ok, so not Mack, Edwards, Ward or Autry.

Irvin, Cowser or Calhoun?

Ellis, Vandy, Lathum or Hestor?

James, Jenkins, Lee, Adams or Marrow?

Smith, Amerson, Conley, Carrie, Borders or Hamilton

Nelson, Joesph, Obi or Luani

28 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Well, there kinda of is for depth purposes but I understand what you are saying.

Just asking who he'd replace?

Ok, so not Mack, Edwards, Ward or Autry.

Irvin, Cowser or Calhoun?

Ellis, Vandy, Lathum or Hestor?

James, Jenkins, Lee, Adams or Marrow?

Smith, Amerson, Conley, Carrie, Borders or Hamilton

Nelson, Joesph, Obi or Luani

Well Marrow, Adams and Hamilton are big IF's to make the final roster so any one of them could be gone regardless if we brought in Ealy. To be honest I don't know why most teams fan wouldn't want him. He's good for ~5 sack a season, has good size and is only 25. He doesn't come with any baggage too IIRC and the need to rotate in fresh guys throughout games is vital. He won't be out of work long and this could make for another great under the radar signing.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Well Marrow, Adams and Hamilton are big IF's to make the final roster so any one of them could be gone regardless if we brought in Ealy. To be honest I don't know why most teams fan wouldn't want him. He's good for ~5 sack a season, has good size and is only 25. He doesn't come with any baggage too IIRC and the need to rotate in fresh guys throughout games is vital. He won't be out of work long and this could make for another great under the radar signing.

Because we have adequate depth at DE and adding another with the defense we will run would leave either lb or corner with less than desirable depth. 

But you also said something that brings up a question or two. First, why is he on his 3rd team at 25yo?

Is there something else going on beside him "not fitting the defense"?

The pats can normally squeeze production out of talent but won't stand for guys that aren't team players, have attitudes or can't cut it mentally. And they dumped him. Just something to think about. 

Like you said the production is tempting and is in an area we are trying to improve. And seeing that he was released he may be cheap depending on offers. I'm just wary of the guy at this point.

He was not dumped by his first team.  They were offered a 2nd round pick.  The only team that dumped him was New England and they operate differently from any other team in the league.  He could have had a different philosophy from Belichick and decided to dump him.  It was not his play.  He is young and talented.  I wanted us to look into trading for him.

21 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

The pats can normally squeeze production out of talent but won't stand for guys that aren't team players, have attitudes or can't cut it mentally. And they dumped him.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He was not dumped by his first team.

That is what I said.

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He could have had a different philosophy from Belichick and decided to dump him.  It was not his play.

You don't know that it wasn't his play and I also addressed that in my post. I said that he does have nice production but it could be something else that made it not work in NE (attitude, work ethic, mental). We don't know. Which is why I came to the conclusion that I was wary of him. On top of the fact that we are pretty set at the position and it doesn't bode well for us making a run at him.

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is what I said.

You don't know that it wasn't his play and I also addressed that in my post. I said that he does have nice production but it could be something else that made it not work in NE (attitude, work ethic, mental). We don't know. Which is why I came to the conclusion that I was wary of him. On top of the fact that we are pretty set at the position and it doesn't bode well for us making a run at him.

My only disagreement was the problem of him being on his third team when he signs with another team.  He would still be with Carolina if they had not traded him.  I would not be against bringing him in if the price is right.

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

My only disagreement was the problem of him being on his third team when he signs with another team.  He would still be with Carolina if they had not traded him.  I would not be against bringing him in if the price is right.

Well, then you could look at the fact that they invested a 2nd rd pick on him and he was never able to take the starting job fulltime. I think he started like 5 games in 2016. And when they traded him for a 2nd to NE they also sent a 3rd back. Not a ringing endorsement.

But I'm getting to far into bash land, which I don't really feel applies. I would just be wary as a GM and I probably wouldnt offer more than the minimum as our GM with our depth at the position.

30 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

It looks more like a stupid decision buy the Patriots rather than a reflection of Ealy's play. People are just very slow to call the Patriots out.  Still think we should sign him if he is cheap.

That's a twitter sound bite and not necessarily untrue but what would you put your money on, the chance that Bill made a mistake scouting a player as to his talent and ability or that he wasn't aware of or underestimated something else in the guys make up like I have been saying (attitude, effort, mentality). I'm betting on BB every time.  Not sure if you heard about the supposed meeting Ealy had with Brady and Kraft but that would seem to point to something being wrong with his approach to the game and not Xs and Os or it would be a meeting with the D coordinator or something. I, for one, would just rather let someone else risk bringing that into the locker room.

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

It looks more like a stupid decision buy the Patriots rather than a reflection of Ealy's play. People are just very slow to call the Patriots out.  Still think we should sign him if he is cheap.

The Patriots make a lot of decisions that may seem stupid at the outset. Seeing as these things basically never come back to bite them, though, they're probably not.

Ealy may well prove to be a good signing for someone else (I'd certainly take him on the Raiders), but if he's not going to fit in the Patriots system or Belichick doesn't feel he offers as much as someone else, then he's probably completely justified in thinking that.

4 hours ago, Nightmare said:

The Patriots make a lot of decisions that may seem stupid at the outset. Seeing as these things basically never come back to bite them, though, they're probably not.

Ealy may well prove to be a good signing for someone else (I'd certainly take him on the Raiders), but if he's not going to fit in the Patriots system or Belichick doesn't feel he offers as much as someone else, then he's probably completely justified in thinking that.

The patriots have their share of misfires for sure but it isn't reported as harshly as say the Raiders cutting their second rounder. That's the sort of good will  that 7 Super Bowl apperences gives you. This won't set the patriots back at all I think, they know what sort of players they want and they have some of the best coaches in the NFL. 

Archived