Around the league v.1.0

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, true2form said:
  • Product of the social landscape of pro football for the last 30+ years.  Year after year an amazing athlete comes out of college who just happens to play college QB.  Fans and coaches alike become enamored with the potential of the prospect and what he could do on their team. 
  • Time after time, failure.  Why? Who is to say for sure, but it is what it is.  There has never been a long term successful running, scrambling, or mobile QB in the NFL since before the merger.
  • Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, and Steve Young are the only three that come to mind that you could possibly argue with having a title each. Being able to escape the pocket and make plays with your legs is definitely a nice skill to have.
  • Fact remains though that 90+% of all Super Bowl winning QBs are traditional pocket passers that are frankly immobile statues. Tom Brady celebrated this year after getting his 1,000th rushing yard, in his 18th season.

Drew brees?

12 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Drew brees?

If you're asking me if he's mobile then you already know the answer.

My opinion though, um no.  Brees is as traditional of a pocket passer as it gets.  Doesn't mean he can't escape some pressure, but few QBs can't escape pressure.  If Tom Brady has twice the rushing yards, you don't qualify lol.

Being a mobile QB is great short term because eventually your body will break down and you won’t be able to run as well. Then you’ll have to fall back on being a passer and if you’re bad and the passing portion of being a QB then you’re going to suck. 

I am not a long term believer in dak prescott, heck I’m not even a short term believer. The reason is that he isn’t accurate nor does he have a cannon. Heck Jason Garret right now is more accurate than dak. 

Now Baker is going to succeed because he’s accurate and smart. He can make plays with his feet but he’ll kill you through the air too. The Browns totally made the right choice there. 

Remember a QBs job is first and foremost to throw the ball if they can’t do it they are going to get wrecked. 

Well, it's officially my nightmare.

Vic Fangio taking over a defense with studs all over the place and bring in Kubiack to run the offense.

Unless, like palooka said is a possibility, Fangio rubs the team the wrong way and they revolt, we are in trouble. This might cememnt itself as the toughest in the league.

2 hours ago, true2form said:

If you're asking me if he's mobile then you already know the answer.

My opinion though, um no.  Brees is as traditional of a pocket passer as it gets.  Doesn't mean he can't escape some pressure, but few QBs can't escape pressure.  If Tom Brady has twice the rushing yards, you don't qualify lol.

Brady doesn’t have twice the rushing yards as brees plus Brady has been in the nfl 4 yrs longer and brees has more rushing tds fwiw

53 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

Still have to score some points. 

Enter Kubiak. 

If nothing else the Broncos are going to be like when they had Kubiak and Phillips. They’re going to run the ball and crush teams on defense. It doesn’t matter what palooka they got at QB. Kubiak is one of the better OCs in the league. 

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Vic Fangio taking over a defense with studs all over the place and bring in Kubiack to run the offense.

Unless, like palooka said is a possibility, Fangio rubs the team the wrong way and they revolt, we are in trouble. This might cememnt itself as the toughest in the league.

hopefully that Bears pick is top 10 in 2020

50 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Brady doesn’t have twice the rushing yards as brees plus Brady has been in the nfl 4 yrs longer and brees has more rushing tds fwiw

The point still stands that Brees his succes isnt based on being a scrambler

1 hour ago, NJ Raider said:

Still have to score some points. 

Yup. They have some nice pieces on offense. They need more from the QB position and to solidify the oline. It will be interesting how Elway approaches the offseason. Will they go all out for a QB or will they go the route of coaching up a game manager and lean on the defense.

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

hopefully that Bears pick is top 10 in 2020

That is the only upside here. And it's definitely up in the air. If they promote from within there is a good chance they can sustain alot of their defensive aspects even with Vic leaving. The NFL is a funny league so anything can happen but I'm worried...

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is the only upside here. And it's definitely up in the air. If they promote from within there is a good chance they can sustain alot of their defensive aspects even with Vic leaving. The NFL is a funny league so anything can happen but I'm worried...

still not sold on Mitch T and thats all the difference in the world..... but yeah that team is still stacked and one of the best head coaches in the NFL

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Lol, we been in trouble. The Chiefs have a 23 year old MVP with Andy Reid as their coach. The Chargers are probably the most well rounded and talented team in the league

Nothing the Broncos can do for me to worry about them more than those two teams. They dont have a QB and Gary Kubiak is pretty overrated. 

3 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Being a mobile QB is great short term because eventually your body will break down and you won’t be able to run as well. Then you’ll have to fall back on being a passer and if you’re bad and the passing portion of being a QB then you’re going to suck. 

I am not a long term believer in dak prescott, heck I’m not even a short term believer. The reason is that he isn’t accurate nor does he have a cannon. Heck Jason Garret right now is more accurate than dak. 

Now Baker is going to succeed because he’s accurate and smart. He can make plays with his feet but he’ll kill you through the air too. The Browns totally made the right choice there. 

Remember a QBs job is first and foremost to throw the ball if they can’t do it they are going to get wrecked. 

I want a QB that throws first and runs second.  I do not want Lamar Jackson.  I do want a QB that is smart enough to know when to run and willing to run when the opportunity presents itself.  Just as you can hurt your team by not developing the ability to win in the pocket you can also hurt your team by staying there all the time.  Take off a few times on 3rd down and get a first and I guarantee they are not going to rush you next time with everything they have.Your O-line will thank you for it and it will make them look better also.

Archived