Around the league v.1.0

RaidersAreOne

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Bill Belichick would have coached circles around JDR. That defense would not have stopped them once.

Hilarious.... Everyone is ready to fire JDR this season and we're flashing back to last year talking about how this team could have beat the champs? lol

Yup.

Time changes things.

Novel concept.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Bill Belichick would have coached circles around JDR. That defense would not have stopped them once.

Hilarious.... Everyone is ready to fire JDR this season and we're flashing back to last year talking about how this team could have beat the champs? lol

Last year...i think that the Raiders had a chance. They where very  opportunistic on defense and didn’t turn the ball over. Carr had that mamba mentality and didn’t play afraid. Also Brady wasn’t playing up to the usual dominant level, personally i think his age is catching up to him towards the end of the season. BB is the greatest coach of all time but i think they caught a lot of breaks in the playoffs last year, playing against Tom Savage instead of a starting caliber QB, the Steelers losing players, a cupcake schedule up to the playoffs. 

This team was different last year, and it all starts on the offensive side of the ball. I believed in that offense and Carr to comeback late in games. 

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

We would had got smoked by the pats. 

Yes... Exactly. The Raiders were not a 12 win team. Favorable schedule and a lot broke right for them, but they were a 9-10 win team at best. Same as this season that just broke a different way,. That defense was and continues to be awful. The offense was all the team had going for it

The Raiders were a very flawed overachieving team last year, carried by two phenomenal third year players playing maybe the best football at their respective positions in the NFL.

But the playoffs are a different story. It's about coaching and scheming. BB is the greatest coach of all time. Del Rio and Norton are bottom five at their jobs.

If Carr had a slightly off day, we lose. By alot. The 20!6 Raiders needed alot of luck and MVP caliber weekly play just to barely eek by teams. The Patriots would have killed us.

6 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

The Raiders were a very flawed overachieving team last year, carried by two phenomenal third year players playing maybe the best football at their respective positions in the NFL.

But the playoffs are a different story. It's about coaching and scheming. BB is the greatest coach of all time. Del Rio and Norton are bottom five at their jobs.

If Carr had a slightly off day, we lose. By alot. The 20!6 Raiders needed alot of luck and MVP caliber weekly play just to barely eek by teams. The Patriots would have killed us.

Win or lose I would have liked to have been 100% in the playoffs so that we could get a feel for the playoffs and how things change in the post season.  We would have beaten the Texans, which the first playoff win for a young team can be a huge monkey on their back, and even if we lose in the second round facing a top team who increases their intensity would have been good for us.  Could have also raised red flags in areas that we needed to improve.  That is why we went out and got a better back up QB but it was not enough.

20 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I'm confident in saying The Raiders aren't winning another game this year. Eagles and Chargers both have reasons to play and are significantly better than us.

Still a possibility we finish last place in the AFCW, which honestly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Nah I definitely want to play spoiler to the Chargers!

I'm hearing a lot of arguments for firing JDR based around the idea that Raiders win in spite of him and lose because of him. I get that because he's a defensive coordinator at heart the strength of the team shouldn't be offense, but he's the head coach. His affect on what happens on either side of the ball is based on what he allows to happen. He's not calling the plays on either side of the ball and from what we know, he's not picking the players. Ultimately, JDR deserves big credit for the success the Raiders enjoyed last season and equal blame for what they've endured this season, but much of the credit (good or bad) is indirect and by virtue of him being the leader of the on-field operations.

I am for keeping JDR on for another season with a new OC that understands the offense's (namely, Carr's) strengths better. Continuity is a big thing for me and it's something winning teams do even when it's hard. Ya'll don't want to hear this, but the Bengals keeping Marvin Lewis for as long as they did has been a net good for the franchise -- especially when you understand where the Bengals game from.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I'm hearing a lot of arguments for firing JDR based around the idea that Raiders win in spite of him and lose because of him. I get that because he's a defensive coordinator at heart the strength of the team shouldn't be offense, but he's the head coach. His affect on what happens on either side of the ball is based on what he allows to happen. He's not calling the plays on either side of the ball and from what we know, he's not picking the players. Ultimately, JDR deserves big credit for the success the Raiders enjoyed last season and equal blame for what they've endured this season, but much of the credit (good or bad) is indirect and by virtue of him being the leader of the on-field operations.

I am for keeping JDR on for another season with a new OC that understands the offense's (namely, Carr's) strengths better. Continuity is a big thing for me and it's something winning teams do even when it's hard. Ya'll don't want to hear this, but the Bengals keeping Marvin Lewis for as long as they did has been a net good for the franchise -- especially when you understand where the Bengals game from.

You bring up good points but I really don't think think this is the horse to which we should chain our wagon.

3 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

You bring up good points but I really don't think think this is the horse to which we should chain our wagon.

The thing is, if not JDR then who? Who's the guy we're hitching our wagon to?

JDR, to me, is just above replacement level and shares the class with the vast majority on NFL head coaches -- including the ones who would possibly replace him. He's not like Jeff Fisher who was clearly stuck with the same playbook from 1999. Or Rex Ryan and Hue Jackson whose hubris wears thin quick. Unless they have a shot to sign a prodigy HC (like Jim Harbaugh), he's lost the locker room (which doesn't appear to be the case), or is causing the team to underperform in consecutive seasons, the team shouldn't budge for at least another season.

Teams that recycle head coaches don't tend to appreciate as much as we like to think. How much better are Texans after firing Gary Kubiak? Or the Lions after firing Jim Schwartz? Or the Colts after firing Jim Caldwell? I could go on. Point is there aren't very many Bill Belichicks out there.

Archived