Around the league v.1.0

RaidersAreOne

Just now, SimonGruber said:

Im envious of their pass rush man. Wonder If Bruce Irvin regrets not going to there lol

For real. They are built like those Seattle teams. Can rush the passer with 4 and cover at every level.

The Vikings and Jags have a STUD at every level of their defense. Speed, range and ability to blast ball carriers. 

I can agree with the Vikings doing a very good job building their roster through the years but not the Jags. The Jags have been drafting in the top 10 for 10 straight years (!!!) and Ramsey (and maybe Fournette) is the only elite talent they got out of it. When you've been in this position for so long, you should have a very strong roster. In FA, they've been big spenders for a few years and it's really the first time they got a return on their investment. They did a good job adding vets this last offseason (basically landing the top 2 FAs) and that's about it.

The Raiders did a pretty good job building their oline through FA. Hudson and Osemele were great signings. It shouldn't be forgotten because we're coming off a down year. You can't fix everything through FA though.

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Props to The Vikings as well. Remember we were heavily compared to them with the whole Bridgewater/Carr Mack/Barr Cooper/Diggs draft.

Despite us getting the best QB in that draft and a franchise defensive player in Mack, both the Vikes and Jags built their teams better then we did. Drafted better and spent their money on true difference making players.

Good point. Vikings were similar as well. Drafted well and filled in the roster in FA with key additions. 

Sadly... the Raiders have the better QB. But failures on defense in the draft killed this team. Gruden's ability to build this defense into a respectable unit is going to be paramount. They lack at every single level right now. 

Zimmer was also a tremendous coaching fit for their roster. Danielle Hunter was the perfect complement to Everson Griffen too. They basically built the prime Bengals defense in Minnesota and added the perfect coach to get the most out of it.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

For real. They are built like those Seattle teams. Can rush the passer with 4 and cover at every level.

The Vikings and Jags have a STUD at every level of their defense. Speed, range and ability to blast ball carriers. 

Man it makes you feel for Gus Bradley. This team is built like SEA and he’s probably the reason why. It’s too bad it came together a year after he left. 

15 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Hot off the presses...Kenny right back at it!

Hiring KNJ as DC after what he turned in the last few years in Oakland...and they call us dysfunctional! I could see Irvin going back to Seattle. :)

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Brutal hire by Seattle. Holy hell he sucks.

If you look on it as trading KNJ for Cable I think we got the better end of the deal! :)

I suppose if you are going to implement a Seattle style defense, Seattle would be the best place to it...

On 1/15/2018 at 9:50 AM, big_palooka said:

I have to say. Hats off the Jaguars. Really impressed with their ownership and their desire to win. This is a team that back in 2014 were equal with the Raiders. And they are fielding the best defense in football now. Why, because they took some risk and were not afraid to spend to upgrade their weaknesses.

They went out and signed Abouye, Jackson, Campbell to shore up the DLine and coverage. While we watched the Raiders try to filter in draft picks and worse, undrafted FA's in these spots. They also draft extremely well. They took the risk on great upside player in Jack when the Raiders had a chance and a need at the spot. 

I can't help but look at the parallels on these teams and how much better and more decisive the Jags were about making sure their defense could play vs. the Green Bay philosophy of drafting and coaching. That only works if you draft well and the Raiders outside Mack just haven't. 

When did the Raiders have the chance to grab Jack? Or do you mean in the first? 

Archived