Around the league v.1.0

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Still young. Only strike 2 thus far. This is either a wake up call or he burns out. Can't really say dodged a bullet until he washes out of the league IMO. Like saying "dodged a bullet" with Zeke Elliot. Foster will be starting week 1 for the 9ers, get a suspension eventually and be the last straw. 

I was angry also but it does not mean the case is closed on this young man.  To take a page from Nighttrain, for everyone saying RM did a good job we do not know why RM passed on him so he might have just been lucky if Foster can not get his head on straight.  If I remember correctly the majority of the issues people in this forum had with Foster and their reasoning for RM not drafting him it was mostly about the shoulder.  Physically Foster looked like a stud.  

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I was angry also but it does not mean the case is closed on this young man.  To take a page from Nighttrain, for everyone saying RM did a good job we do not know why RM passed on him so he might have just been lucky if Foster can not get his head on straight.  If I remember correctly the majority of the issues people in this forum had with Foster and their reasoning for RM not drafting him it was mostly about the shoulder.  Physically Foster looked like a stud.  

If I'm remembering correctly Foster's issues were the combine incident with the medical staff, a failed drug test at the combine, a marijuana sponsorship (after failing his combine drug test), then the shoulder, concussions. There was a pattern there, and injuries on top of it. I'm not sure what his interviews were like, but I'm sure it didn't quell many doubts. Having a marijuana company sponsor his draft party after failing a drug test at the combine kinda showed me all I needed to know about the guy. I'm not anti-marijuana, but the league is, and doing that is a sign that the guy just doesn't get it.

Now, it's hard for us Raiders fans to cast stones considering what our team did with its first round pick. Conley's situation was different in that it wasn't a pattern, and all accounts said that he seemed to take it head on and people were confident in him - but the team still selected a player under investigation for rape. Regardless of what the team found out in a few days, that's playing pretty fast and loose with off-field issues.

New article from Vic Tafur making a case for Manziel to come to Oakland. We know Gruden really liked him and his style. 

https://theathletic.com/239360/2018/02/13/the-raiders-and-johnny-manziel-it-could-be-a-perfect-match/

There is no risk signing Manziel, who flamed out after two years with the Cleveland Browns due to drinking binges chronicled on social media and run-ins with the law. He says he is better now, telling “Good Morning America” that he has stopped drinking, was diagnosed as bipolar and is taking medication for it.

Would you do it? 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

New article from Vic Tafur making a case for Manziel to come to Oakland. We know Gruden really liked him and his style. 

https://theathletic.com/239360/2018/02/13/the-raiders-and-johnny-manziel-it-could-be-a-perfect-match/

Would you do it? 

Him in Vegas? Yeesh. I feel for the kid and if he didn't have the bipolar issue, he would be on an NFL roster today no doubt. I personally just don't think it's worth the distraction/potential for issues in the locker room again. 

4 hours ago, mct288 said:

If I'm remembering correctly Foster's issues were the combine incident with the medical staff, a failed drug test at the combine, a marijuana sponsorship (after failing his combine drug test), then the shoulder, concussions. There was a pattern there, and injuries on top of it. I'm not sure what his interviews were like, but I'm sure it didn't quell many doubts. Having a marijuana company sponsor his draft party after failing a drug test at the combine kinda showed me all I needed to know about the guy. I'm not anti-marijuana, but the league is, and doing that is a sign that the guy just doesn't get it.

Now, it's hard for us Raiders fans to cast stones considering what our team did with its first round pick. Conley's situation was different in that it wasn't a pattern, and all accounts said that he seemed to take it head on and people were confident in him - but the team still selected a player under investigation for rape. Regardless of what the team found out in a few days, that's playing pretty fast and loose with off-field issues.

I was just making a similar statement that gets thrown around a lot in this forum about how we do not know for sure.  I personally was more concerned about the combine incident because one of my oldest friends is a surgeon on the Bucs medical staff and another was at the combine representing his clients and they let me know what happened and how strange it was.  My previous comment was not about what we should have been concerned about but rather what most posters in this forum where concerned with at the time.  Most said the number issue and why they would not draft him where the medicals.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Him in Vegas? Yeesh. I feel for the kid and if he didn't have the bipolar issue, he would be on an NFL roster today no doubt. I personally just don't think it's worth the distraction/potential for issues in the locker room again. 

Manziel playing in Vegas would be entertaining as hell, for all the wrong reasons. He wouldn’t last longer then a month before getting into trouble. 

1 hour ago, Darkness said:

Manziel playing in Vegas would be entertaining as hell, for all the wrong reasons. He wouldn’t last longer then a month before getting into trouble. 

I get it based on his past. But all accounts are he's cleaned up. Got diagnosed and treated for a serious mental disorder. He's engaged and close to his family now. He's also 25. For a lot of people, that's a turning point age where you see a lot of growth mentally. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Would you do it? 

Didn't like him coming out, and the two years off doesn't help. I'll pass.

Archived