Around the league v.1.0

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Do we trust Conner Cook as a backup yet? Manuel is a FA.

I would be fine with bringing in Kaep if Gruden and Co wanted him.  He would easily be the best backup QB we’ve had for awhile.  Offer him a low ball contract and if he takes it great, if not move on.

Problem is if Kaep or Manziel excel then there would be a divided locker room. The media would run with it and this place would be a circus. If they don’t then we have to endure months of nonsense in the offseason with these guys. 

All in all id rather not have a high profile guy as a backup. Get me a Fitzpatrick type who’s entrenched as a number 2. 

Alsoi think Cook would be fine because Gruden liked him a lot coming out. 

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Problem is if Kaep or Manziel excel then there would be a divided locker room. The media would run with it and this place would be a circus. If they don’t then we have to endure months of nonsense in the offseason with these guys. 

All in all id rather not have a high profile guy as a backup. Get me a Fitzpatrick type who’s entrenched as a number 2. 

Alsoi think Cook would be fine because Gruden liked him a lot coming out. 

That's what you hope for. Then seek something in trade. Everyone know Carr is the franchise QB so baring him falling flat, shouldn't be any issues.

As for Cook. Paper thin logic there. Gruden liked his arm talent. But he's shown nothing outside being an inaccurate passer thus far. Excited to see if they can make something out of him however. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

That's what you hope for. Then seek something in trade. Everyone know Carr is the franchise QB so baring him falling flat, shouldn't be any issues.

As for Cook. Paper thin logic there. Gruden liked his arm talent. But he's shown nothing outside being an inaccurate passer thus far. Excited to see if they can make something out of him however. 

Perhaps, but with Carr’s past season of regression the fan base could turn on him quick. Many wanted Manziel over Carr when they came out if Carr gets injured, which is a big possibility, i could see people clambering for him. Carr misses multiple games we could have a QB controversy on our hands that would be a huge distraction fueled by the media. Wherever Manziel and Kaep go they are going to have the media spot light on them. Personally i think that it’ll be worse than Lynch in that regard. 

As for the Back up QB position, it is a concern because Carr gets injured so the coaches are going to have to evaluate it. However if they get a guy he should be someone that’s a career back up. 

7 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Does the choice have to be Manziel or Kaep?  What is this, ESPN?

Just opening it for discussion as it was mentioned in a few articles. I personally wouldn't take either. Who else is out there right now? I'd just resign EJ, he was solid in relief. 

2 hours ago, RaiderX said:

Manuel looked solid in the 1 game action he got. Better than Cook ever looked. Hope they bring him back.

Yeah we have to bring someone in to compete with Cook. What if we spent alittle more than 1 mil we normally do on the backup and went after Fitz. A guy we know can win us a game if it comes down to it. Hell, Cook may beat him out in camp but it's still a win for us because we then have a trade chip in Cook and a vet in the QB room with Gruden and Carr to add ideas and spot wrinkles.

6 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

I think Manuel was brought in due to his familiarity with Downing. So with Downing gone, i'm not sure he's in the plan.

Sure, but since he looked OK for us last year we might try to keep him around.

I doubt he will have a big market.

With that said if Gruden lets him walk and trusts Cook (at least till OTAs) I would be totally fine with that.

Archived