Around the league v.1.0

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm happy to see us sit back tbh.

Same point I was trying to make in the FA  thread.  Looks like a year to sit back and set ourselves up for next off-season.  Make a few moves with low level FAs that understand the new systems but nothing huge besides extending Mack.  We will not be a Superbowl contender this year but could make the playoffs.  That will be great for a team that is transitioning to a brand new system on both sides of the ball.

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Same point I was trying to make in the FA  thread.  Looks like a year to sit back and set ourselves up for next off-season.  Make a few moves with low level FAs that understand the new systems but nothing huge besides extending Mack.  We will not be a Superbowl contender this year but could make the playoffs.  That will be great for a team that is transitioning to a brand new system on both sides of the ball.

This team is closer to last years 6-10 squad than then 12-4 squad in '16. They will need to crush the draft and it will come down to coaching to get the most out of what look like a lot of failed draft picks over the last 3 years. This team is a ways off from being a playoff team unless Carr gets back to MVP form.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This team is closer to last years 6-10 squad than then 12-4 squad in '16. They will need to crush the draft and it will come down to coaching to get the most out of what look like a lot of failed draft picks over the last 3 years. This team is a ways off from being a playoff team unless Carr gets back to MVP form.

bolded for truth!
Carr played out of his mind in 16, and even still we barely won a handful of my games that came down to last minute 50-50 type heroics. 
Ultimately, this team will go as far as Carr can take them this year. Our D, will be middle of the pack at best and itll come down to if we can score points or not.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

as of now.. 

but if you added a good cb and a slot type and grabbed a DT. we'd feel better going into draft.

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Jags signed Hayden to a ridiculous deal. Even below average guys are out here getting paid.

McKinnon getting PAID like a top 5 RB when he's nothing more than a rotational back. Just silly money right now. 

Also Ryan Grant got a massive deal from the Ravens based on ???

Crazy market...

The good news is that we are not going crazy and our own UFA's are still available with some other solid options. I think after this crazy wave clears RM will be able to land a few solid contributors

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This was the weakest link on our team last year.  Notice what happened as soon as Pagano got control.  We have more talent on the field than you think but on the sidelines it was a different story.  This team will go as far as the coaches can prepare them.  Except the WR unit.  Please RM get us a sure handed WR at some point.

15 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

This was the weakest link on our team last year.  Notice what happened as soon as Pagano got control.  We have more talent on the field than you think but on the sidelines it was a different story.  This team will go as far as the coaches can prepare them.  Except the WR unit.  Please RM get us a sure handed WR at some point.

I hope this is accurate and the coaching staff just sucked at bringing it out. It's concerning to me how awful the Dline is considering the draft capital spent there. And double that for the secondary where they've invested so much in FA and draft picks.

On 3/14/2018 at 6:58 AM, big_palooka said:

I think it's somewhere in the middle with some ifs.

If Carr gets back to advancing as a player rather than regressing, we're surely better than last year.

If the staff can actually coach and scheme a defense rather than being utterly incompetent as it was under Norton, we're certainly better. Even with less "talent". Talent is in quotes because I am of the belief that even though we have lost a number of players, they're not real losses. Autry, Carrie, Amerson, Smith, Nelson, these are not high end pieces by any means.

12-4 was very fortunate, with lots of late wins. Well above their heads. 

But.. 6-10 was a bad regression with awful coaching all around. Downing, Del Rio and Norton had an incredibly poor year. 

IF we kill a draft this year or last year's actually bears any real performing fruit (or the past 3 years for that matter), we can inch closer to the 12-4. Another garbage draft and we will struggle. Now that we have to pay the players we did not have to pay before we are more dependent on the draft than ever, yet seem to be doing worse with it yearly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived