Pick a bust - 2019

BrownLeader

If you were forced to pick a high rated guy that'll be a bust at every position, who would it be?

*I'm lower on these guys but I'm not saying I think every one of them will be busts, just if I had to choose one.

QB - Daniel Jones

Slow delivery, just adequate arm strength, and he's a reckless and frequent runner.

RB - Darrell Henderson

Blazing speed but he had track lanes at Memphis and I'm not convinced of his lateral mobility

WR - Kelvin Harmon

I'm not convinced of his mobility. Everything is contested and he won't have as big a physical advantage as a pro

TE - Noah Fant

He's fast but I'm not sure about his ability to plant and change direction. Questioning his ability to separate.

OT - Jawaan Taylor

Flashes dominance but I think he's got slow feet and lets guys into his chest a lot. 

Edge - Josh Allen

Not convinced how well he'll come off the edge as a pro and he's mobile but not ideal for an off ball LB.

Edge - Jaylon Ferguson

There's all that production but I just really don't like his film. Clunky athleticism, awful in space, routinely owned at the poa, shuts down his motor on plays away. And looked bad at senior week practices.

DT - Dexter Lawrence

Mainly just an injury thing. Can be more reliable as a pro?

LB - Devin White

Love the guy and the motor but he's all over the place. Overruns and false steps everything.

DB - Taylor Rapp

Not sure how high rated Rapp is but he might just be a limited box guy with adequate athleticism.

Edited by BrownLeader

Complete Bust:

QB Daniel Jones

WR DK Metclaf

DE Rashan Gary

Semi Bust:

QB Kyler Murray

RB Josh Jacobs (acting like hes the second coming of Kamara is laughable and media hype)

OT Jaawan Taylor

RB Darrell Henderson

CB Byron Murphy

DE/OLB Josh Allen (he’s gonna be good but no where near the hype he is getting)

DT Ed Oliver (overrated prospect, got shut down by college double teams consistently) 

WR Marquise Brown (Very small, he’s not the next Tyreek Hill, he will be serviceable though)

CB DeAndre Baker (plenty of holes in his game)

Yeah lot of semi busts I see on tape... don’t forget 50% of the first round always ends up subpar.

Josh Jacobs is my #1 bust and it's not even close. He will be a solid player but he will never be worth a 1st round pick much less a top 10 selection. Montez Sweat is also a good choice. Got shut down at the senior bowl and his bull rush won't work in the pros.

DK Metcalf Ole Miss WR RS SOPH: Has amazing physical gifts but his production in college is nothing amazing and seems to get injured all the time.  Sure if he can stay healthy maybe but that is a huge if.  Is pretty raw to be picked as high as some project him to be.  

Jachai Polite Florida DE/OLB JR:  I think he is really soft at the point of attack, decent athlete and good quickness off the edge but if a team puts him at a 3/4 OLB spot and wants him to hold the edge that is not going to happen much.  Maybe he will get in a right system where he is not asked to defend the run and pass rush only on and off, but if he is out there on all downs he could struggle and get pushed around.  

Dwayne Haskins Ohio State QB RS SOPH:  Good QB but not sure he is as great as some make him out to be, is just the best in a pretty poor QB class at the top end but I could see some of the other guys out playing him long term.  When pressured he struggles and not sure he will be able to hold up if say he is on a team with a poor WR core without a lot of weapons to throw to.  If he was drafted in the 2020 draft he would arguably be the 4th or 5th best QB.  

Mack Wilson Alabama ILB JR:  Decent player but is not at the same level of some of the ILBs from Bama in the past, like his speed and blitzing but his ability to shed blocks is not that great and unless he is really protected by the dudes ahead of him he could struggle and get caught in the wash a lot.  Did play his best football of his career this past year but I thought needed some more time back at school, but again might be taking advantage of a some what weak ILB group.  

QB: Drew Lock
RB: Myles Gaskin (I think all the other top RB's will be pretty good)
WR: Kelvin Harmon
TE: Irv Smith Jr.
OT: Jawaan Taylor
OG: Cody Ford
C: Erik McCoy
DE: Rashan Gary
DT: Dre'Mont Jones
LB: TJ Edwards
CB: Byron Murphy
FS: Deionte Thompson
SS: Darnell Savage

Lock has a lot of sizzle without the juice. He's been a mediocre collegiate QB with brilliant flashes that keep scouts drooling.
Gaskin isn't bad, but I don't think he'll ever be a great player in the NFL. Lacks elite traits in any area.
Harmon is not as fast as I had heard he was. He's not good after the catch and isn't very smooth.
Irv Smith is an underdeveloped TE prospect. High ceiling, but doesn't have the intangibles to find space and sit. Doesn't box out and use his size well.
Jawaan Taylor is so meh to me. He's got a lot of physical ability, but it only shows up in flashes.
Cody Ford will start in the NFL, but he'll never be a great player. If he goes in the top 15 like most mocks have him, I'd sound the bust alarm. Or the "you coulda done much better" alarm.
McCoy is light in the pants and does not play with great strength. I think he's going to get killed by interior 0-Techs. Like...enveloped.

Gary is stiff in the hips and doesn't seem to diagnose well. Disappeared in big moments and never had a breakout performance.
Dre'Mont Jones is a major liability against the run. Gets swallowed up by single blocks. I'm not taking a situational pass rushing DT in the 1st round.
Edwards just can't get his feet out of cement. He's going to get exposed in the NFL. Can't get over the top of down blocks in time or run with anyone in coverage.
Murphy is bleh. Don't see the hype. My big bust prediction. He's small and has very little experience playing in man coverage. Methinks he's going to be roasted hard in the NFL.
Deionte Thompson...are people still on his bandwagon? He's been a huge disappointment in college so why would it change in the pros? Not sure what people think he does well.
Darnell Savage is a ht/wt/spd beast, but takes horrible angles and doesn't play to his size. He's not very savvy, which is a death sentence to safeties.

I'm not sure if Gaskin and Ford should be called busts though. I think both will be alright, just guys that don't live up to their draft status...or alleged draft status.

• Like 3

QB - Drew Lock

RB - Elijah Holyfield

WR - Kelvin Harmon

TE - Kaden Smith

OT - Greg Little

OG - Ross Pierschbacher

C - TBA

DE - Rashan Gary

DT - Dexter Lawrence

LB - Mack Wilson(If he goes to a team where he has to make the calls)

CB - Greedy Williams

S - Jaquan Johnson

On 2/23/2019 at 9:15 AM, Ozzy said:

Dwayne Haskins Ohio State QB RS SOPH:  Good QB but not sure he is as great as some make him out to be, is just the best in a pretty poor QB class at the top end but I could see some of the other guys out playing him long term.  When pressured he struggles and not sure he will be able to hold up if say he is on a team with a poor WR core without a lot of weapons to throw to.  If he was drafted in the 2020 draft he would arguably be the 4th or 5th best QB.  

You continue to push this false narrative and it's already been proven that he improved with pressure from the second half of the season on. And "not sure if he would be able to hold up with a poor WR corp" this is the worst argument of all. Pre Haskins, tOSU's receiving corp was probably the biggest concern going into the season due to guys being career underachievers. Haskins comes in and all of the sudden makes them into draftable players (T.McLaurin, J.Dixon, P.Campbell, K.Hill, and elite trait in a QB whether you like it or not. You can't slip that false narrative in without me calling you on it, it's totally plausible that he could improve then WR corp like he did at tOSU.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You continue to push this false narrative and it's already been proven that he improved with pressure from the second half of the season on. And "not sure if he would be able to hold up with a poor WR corp" this is the worst argument of all. Pre Haskins, tOSU's receiving corp was probably the biggest concern going into the season due to guys being career underachievers. Haskins comes in and all of the sudden makes them into draftable players (T.McLaurin, J.Dixon, P.Campbell, K.Hill, and elite trait in a QB whether you like it or not. You can't slip that false narrative in without me calling you on it, it's totally plausible that he could improve then WR corp like he did at tOSU.

I can say then that you push the false narrative that Ohio State WRs are some how bad.  They would have been drafted regardless of Haskins or not, some have underachieved sure but there is an insane amount of depth and talent with that group and to disregard that is foolish.  Sure both have helped each other out, Haskins makes them look a little better but they also make Haskins look better being able to throw to 4 our 5 different weapons on the field and no defense knew where the ball was going or to who.  To call that WR core not the deepest in the nation in terms of pure bodies is just flat out wrong, sure there are more talented groups if you only look at 2-3 players but in terms of numbers they have a lot of NFL guys on that roster at WR.  You like Haskins, I am a little on the fence about him, and?  You are a Ohio State fan and that is pretty clear so your opinion is a little slanted potentially.

Time will tell on Haskins, will see what happens.  But like I have said before if Haskins is successful in the NFL it will literally be the first time in that entire schools history of playing football they have had a great NFL QB come out of there.  The guy is a pure passer, has nice touch and clearly knows how to spread the football around, but he would have looked a little different if he played somewhere else without the weapons.  And his pocket awareness is questionable at times, his overall arm strength is questionable as well.  Against Michigan State to me that is more the real Dwayne Haskins, struggled with the pressure he got, made some good throws but did not do so well with the press coverage he saw and where people were not wide open had a much harder time.

Sure Haskins looks like the best QB ever compared to freaking JT Barrett who literally got worse the longer he was in college.  So yeah he looks great but a lot of QBs could have looked great in that offense.  The WR group was the biggest concern going into the season?  Yeah that is a joke, if that group is an issue sure I would take it and I will give you a WR core that is actually an issue instead.  It is such a concern that you have three senior captains at WR?  They were such a concern they were all three voted as captains because they are so bad?  Right....

I had all of them as draftable players long before Haskins was the QB at Ohio State for this full season, only one I did not have on the radar was Chris Olave a freshman.  I clearly disagree with you on this issue you 'calling' me on it is not going to change anything.  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 6:44 PM, BayRaider said:

OT Jaawan Taylor (I don't get this one.) 

CB Byron Murphy (For what reason)

DT Ed Oliver (overrated prospect, got shut down by college double teams consistently) 

The part about Oliver is not true in the slightest, find me the tape where he doesn't dominate a double team. I would also want to know why you think Taylor and Murphy will bust? 

With Murphy you can't teach his ability to mirror receivers, his hips, or his ability to change directions. He's the only CB I would feel comfortable taking top 10. Oh yeah, he has the desired length, size, and frame. 

but on topic, the player I think are going to bust hard is Devin White. He doesn't process squat, his thinking lags way behind game speed. And if not for his insane athleticism he would not be in nearly half the plays he is in on. He gets tricked by good play action fakes like it was his religion, over commits on a ton of runs, he will be defeated regularly by good jump cuts. Is average at covering the flats because of his slow processing speed, uses his athleticism to get back into the play, but will often over pursue and either miss the tackle or the deflection. NFL QB's will have a field day throwing at him in zone coverage because it takes him ages to react to a throw or a man in his zone, he also waits to react to his man's cuts which does not bode well for his prospects in man coverage. 

If Kyler Murray comes in at sub-200lbs, he will bust. Not due to skill set, but due to his petite (no better word to describe it) frame and play style he will get hurt. Often. And before you say "DeFEnCe cAnT hIT aNyOne" they do, QB's still get sacked and hit at ridiculous rates. He doesn't have Vick's speed, so he isn't outrunning everyone on the field. Before you say he's more like Wilson, Russell Wilson is an ironman who has never missed a start in seven year career. It is very difficult for me to compare anyone to him because he is an anomaly when it comes to QB's in general. 

Edited by YogiBiz