Cody Parkey gets the boot

malagabears

Just saw that.

I hope someone does pick him up and fast.  That way we get an offset against his guaranteed money and potentially save some cap space.

I have to wonder if they aren't using the option of releasing him now but designating it as a June 1st transaction so we can divide his cap hit between 2019 and 2020.

Another article noted this;

" His fate was sealed when he appeared on the "TODAY" show after his missed field goal at the end of the Bears' wildcard loss to the Philadelphia Eagles."

While I don't believe that alone was the final straw it sure as hell didn't help him.  When I read that he'd appeared all I could think of is WTF is he thinking or maybe it was actually intentional to help assure he would get the boot.  He's still due a nice pay day for 2019 so he can choose his path.  Sign elsewhere, take a year off to redefine who he is because an NFL level PK right now he's not, or maybe become a missionary in Zimbabwe.

Anyway, I'm glad the decision has been reached and acted upon.  There was no way of bringing him back in 2019 any more than there would be to rehire Phil Emery as a scout.  Some divorces are more than final and should stay that way.

15 minutes ago, soulman said:

Just saw that.

I hope someone does pick him up and fast.  That way we get an offset against his guaranteed money and potentially save some cap space.

I have to wonder if they aren't using the option of releasing him now but designating it as a June 1st transaction so we can divide his cap hit between 2019 and 2020.

Another article noted this;

" His fate was sealed when he appeared on the "TODAY" show after his missed field goal at the end of the Bears' wildcard loss to the Philadelphia Eagles."

While I don't believe that alone was the final straw it sure as hell didn't help him.  When I read that he'd appeared all I could think of is WTF is he thinking or maybe it was actually intentional to help assure he would get the boot.  He's still due a nice pay day for 2019 so he can choose his path.  Sign elsewhere, take a year off to redefine who he is because an NFL level PK right now he's not, or maybe become a missionary in Zimbabwe.

Anyway, I'm glad the decision has been reached and acted upon.  There was no way of bringing back in 2019 any more than there would be to rehire Phil Emery as a scout.  Some divorces are more than final and should stay that way.

Maybe he qualifies as an upright maintenance technician? 🤔🤔🤔

24 minutes ago, soulman said:

Not every contract has offset language. I tweeted at Rap asking about it though. Surprised it hasn’t come up previously tbh. If his deal does then even a league minimum deal elsewhere combined with his post-release cap savings (post June 1) should pay for a good portion of not the entirety of his replacement. 

7 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Glad to help!

Hear that @Tyty? I caused mirth. Suck it!! 

Making a doofy bears fan feel mirth is like getting an HJ from a fat girl, like it’s kinda nice while it’s going on but later on you just feel existential dread 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not every contract has offset language. I tweeted at Rap asking about it though. Surprised it hasn’t come up previously tbh. If his deal does then even a league minimum deal elsewhere combined with his post-release cap savings (post June 1) should pay for a good portion of not the entirety of his replacement. 

True but it seems I've read before Pace and Laine tend to insist on it when guaranteeing money in a deal.

I'd like to know for certain but I'm also thinking the reason for declaring this nearly a month ahead of time is so he can begin to look for a new team and potentially negotiate a contract.  Can't be signed 'til then but I believe Pace's announcement of his release makes Parkey a FA for negotiation purposes.

2 hours ago, Tyty said:

Making a doofy bears fan feel mirth is like getting an HJ from a fat girl, like it’s kinda nice while it’s going on but later on you just feel existential dread 

Made my night that the Cody Parkey Cut thread so quickly found the path of fat girl HJ action. Thanks Tyty. ✊

2 hours ago, soulman said:

True but it seems I've read before Pace and Laine tend to insist on it when guaranteeing money in a deal.

I'd like to know for certain but I'm also thinking the reason for declaring this nearly a month ahead of time is so he can begin to look for a new team and potentially negotiate a contract.  Can't be signed 'til then but I believe Pace's announcement of his release makes Parkey a FA for negotiation purposes.

Did the team announce this? If so I hadn’t seen that, and was assuming his agent put it out there. Rapoport seemed to think he’d catch on elsewhere quickly, but I certainly have my doubts. 

Archived