Cody Parkey gets the boot

malagabears

On 2/22/2019 at 7:11 PM, Sugashane said:

Kraft seems to like people who will bang his pole, maybe NE signs him. 

Robert-De-Niro-Oh-you.gif

(Can't believe the Kraft "massage" thread got closed, by the way...)

On 2/22/2019 at 7:42 PM, Tyty said:

Making a doofy bears fan feel mirth is like getting an HJ from a fat girl, like it’s kinda nice while it’s going on but later on you just feel existential dread 

Or, as I call it, Tuesday...

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It does not appear that there is any offset language in his deal. It would be nice, but it also wouldn’t kick in till the 2020 cap.

It was a really bad contract.

Well that bizarre, not good news, and it would genuinely make it a very bad contract.

But explain to me if you would why it wouldn't kick in 'til 2020?  That's the opposite of my perspective.

My belief is any guaranteed monies Parkey receives from a new deal would offset against his remaining guarantees from us.  If not then in effect he's double dipping being paid by two teams.  That can't be the intent of contractual guarantees.

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Well that bizarre, not good news, and it would genuinely make it a very bad contract.

But explain to me if you would why it wouldn't kick in 'til 2020?  That's the opposite of my perspective.

My belief is any guaranteed monies Parkey receives from a new deal would offset against his remaining guarantees from us.  If not then in effect he's double dipping being paid by two teams.  That can't be the intent of contractual guarantees.

Tradionally, offset langauge has come off the next seasons “dead money”. I don’t think they offer offsets until the cash has actually been earned.

We got the Glennon offset this season, despite him getting some guaranteed cash from the Cardinals.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Tradionally, offset langauge has come off the next seasons “dead money”. I don’t think they offer offsets until the cash has actually been earned.

We got the Glennon offset this season, despite him getting some guaranteed cash from the Cardinals.

Ah.....good point.  You're right.  Glennon's kick back to the cap came one year later.

Well that defeats my theory that other than being able to split his dead cap in two if he's designated as a June 1st release.  Then we'd have roughly $2.6 in dead cap in 2019 vs his $3.5 mil cash guarantees but I'm still somewhat confused on how the cash is dealt with.

Parkey has a $750k roster bonus that's guaranteed.  I assume he's paid that after the new league year begins even though he's been released unless it's offset by a bonus he receives elsewhere.

But the remaining $2.75 mil he's guaranteed is paid weekly once the season begins.  If he's signed elsewhere for less than $2.75 mil we would only pay the difference between his new salary and his guaranteed salary correct?  But what about a signing bonus?  How does that come into play?

On 2/23/2019 at 8:13 AM, WindyCity said:

You know when you have one of those weeks where things just seem like they are piling on?

5 year old was sick last week, 2 year old is sick this week, work was crazy and the schedule went to ****, I spent 8 hours raking the snow off my roof and cleaning up the yard and it snowed that night.

This made the end of the week a little better.

Being on a roof yesterday was suicide. 

Wind was crazy. 

On 2/24/2019 at 6:44 AM, WindyCity said:

Accurate numbers on Parkey's cap hits for 2019 and 2020 with a June 1st release.  Spot on Windy.  Any offset will go against his 2020 cap cost but at least we gain a little over a mil in 2019 cap space.  That's one vet or two rookies.

SpotracVerified account @spotrac

Cody Parkey currently holds $5.1875M of dead cap w/ the #Bears, including $3.5M of guaranteed salary. Assuming he’s designated a Post 6/1 release, he’ll leave behind cap hits of $4.0625M in 2019 & $1.125M in 2020.

Archived