DT in FA or Round 1? DE in FA or Round 1?

BleedTheClock

Let's talk about fixing out DL. We need some more pieces for sure. Where do you foresee the new talent coming from?

I'd like to trade up and land DE Clellin Ferrell or DT Ed Oliver, depending on which one lasts longer.   In order to do this, I would think we would have to find a DE (Oliver) or a DT (Ferrell) in free agency to accommodate this.

Would you rather have:   Oliver & Markus Golden          or                Ferrell & Christian Covington.

I feel like those are 2 realistic options/scenarios. Obviously I'd like to get Jarrett (DT) or Clark (DE), but those are pipe dreams right now. I'd almost rather go with the lower named vets because of their price tag anyways.

31 minutes ago, dawgpound1816 said:

Clark and Jarrett in FA.

Frontload the contracts as the Browns have $80 mil, and that will give the Browns plenty of ability to resign the likes of Garrett and Co.

Draft Byron Murphy 1st Rd & Isabella 2nd.

😳

that’s a lot of $$$

I would love Ed Oliver on this team. It seems like he’s been slipping all year and is at his lowest stock now. Might even be possible he’s there at 17.

Though more likely he’ll gain some traction as we get closer to the draft.

I like Grady Jarrett but I kind of want us to save the big free agent contracts for our own guys.

It’s not really what I’d prefer. It’s more what free agents we can attract and then who fits in the draft after we’ve finished with free agency.

There may not be ANY sexy free agent signings due to to teams resigning players/franchise tags/signing with more attractive situations.

Worst case scenario: only one free agent DL signing of a middle tier player such as Shaq Barrett. 

Best case scenario (IMO): sign/trade for a middle tier DL such as McCoy/Gunter/Dareus AND sign a DE like Clark, etc.

2 hours ago, pnies20 said:

😳

that’s a lot of $$$

It is alot of money for sure, but if it's frontloaded like all the other FAs Depodesta has structured, our future will be safe. I mean $80 Mil is alot of money and contracts for the current Browns will all start to domino in 2 seasons. By then, Zeitler will be gone, Bitonios guarantees are gone and Collins will be gone. That's easily $30+ mil right there. Rookies will be brought in to develop in that span, and the Browns will be able to revamp. There is a reason Depodesta is still here, and that's his ability to manipulate numbers.

My prediction is Trey Flowers or Preston Smith in FA. If we end up with Flowers, who is an accomplished interior rusher according to PFF, I'd expect a regular 3rd down lineup of Garrett and Avery rushing from the ends, and Flowers with our 1st round DT rushing from inside.

Or if its Preston Smith, him and Avery rushing from the ends, and Garrett with our 1st round DT rushing from inside.

3 hours ago, dawgpound1816 said:

Clark and Jarrett in FA.

Frontload the contracts as the Browns have $80 mil, and that will give the Browns plenty of ability to resign the likes of Garrett and Co.

Draft Byron Murphy 1st Rd & Isabella 2nd.

Terrible ideas IMO.

Clark and Jarrett aren't worth the kind of money they'll command. Maybe one of them is, but you're nuts if you think it's a good idea to put all of that money towards 2 players.

Plus that draft plan would suck. Byron Murphy isn't good and Isabella is a slot WR that will be around in the 4th-5th round probably.

24 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Terrible ideas IMO.

Clark and Jarrett aren't worth the kind of money they'll command. Maybe one of them is, but you're nuts if you think it's a good idea to put all of that money towards 2 players.

Plus that draft plan would suck. Byron Murphy isn't good and Isabella is a slot WR that will be around in the 4th-5th round probably.

Agreed. Clark is a beast LDE though.

54 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Terrible ideas IMO.

Please don't it personal bro. I get it. I don't have your expertise. I bow.

2 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

My prediction is Trey Flowers or Preston Smith in FA. If we end up with Flowers, who is an accomplished interior rusher according to PFF, I'd expect a regular 3rd down lineup of Garrett and Avery rushing from the ends, and Flowers with our 1st round DT rushing from inside.

Or if its Preston Smith, him and Avery rushing from the ends, and Garrett with our 1st round DT rushing from inside.

Flowers is a great idea for a signing, he will be expensive, but hopefully not out of this world in pricing, maybe 14 million per year.

Browns were 5th in passer rating against last year, not gonna get much better than that statistically. We were bottom 10 in yards per carry against but 3 of the final 4 teams in the playoffs were bottom 4 in that category. We gave up the second most pass attempts and 5th most rush attempts. That is what we have to fix. I know we had an unusual amount of OT games but also just getting off of the field on defense more often can help tremendously. Hopefully we have a scheme that is more aggressive on 3rd down than what we had last year. Not necessarily with blitzing, so don't blitz on 3rd and 6 and give up easy 8 yard passes backing off on coverage, make a receiver beat us to get a first and deal with it if it happens and turns into a big gain.

Sure I'll be happy to improve the DL but I don't think we need drastic changes in personnel we just need to give ourselves a chance to get off of the field and add depth so that we don't get worn down not subbing very often.If we have the resources and there is opportunity there go for it, don't get crazy and think that is the only thing that we can do to get off of the field though.

We were 15th in rushing attempts on offense and 11th in pass attempts. If we can get the defense down to where we are offensively we'll be okay, if we improve on that and on offense we're looking at a lot of success even with very little improvement with personnel. Certainly need to tackle better, that along with cushions in bad situations will fix most of it.

Archived