DT in FA or Round 1? DE in FA or Round 1?

BleedTheClock

I’ve always held the view that free agency is where you address obvious needs and depth. The draft is where you get the best players possible. Sometimes you can do both in the draft obviously, but there isn’t a free agent out there that would stop me from getting the bass player at just about any position not called quarterback or running back.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Terrible ideas IMO.

Clark and Jarrett aren't worth the kind of money they'll command. Maybe one of them is, but you're nuts if you think it's a good idea to put all of that money towards 2 players.

Plus that draft plan would suck. Byron Murphy isn't good and Isabella is a slot WR that will be around in the 4th-5th round probably.

Byron Murphy isn’t the best corner but he is pretty damn goos. Lacks man to man skills but he is A stud in zone coverage. He would the ideal corner in Silks scheme. Silk prolly could do some great things with Murphy and Ward as his to corners

Also no way Isabella is a 5th Rd pick. I see him more 3rd than 4th. Dude has amazing tape and when he gets a chance to back up that great tape with an amazing combine he won’t be falling into the later rds. I also believe being just a slot WR isn’t as bad as it use to be. With the way offense is changing up in the passing attacks. That there is nothing wrong in having a stud slot. We just saw a stud a lot take over the super bowl. He could be a real nice weapon for baker tho

Dorsey will more than likely use the same strategy he has used and that is to fill all the holes in FA and trades.  Then, draft BPA based on Dorsey's team of evaluators.

For me, I draft DT in 1st as this is a very deep DT class and we need to be VERY strong up the middle.  I use FA for DE unless it gets too pricey or bad contract possibility.

Our LB crew is in bed with D line so we need to address speed which means trade or cut Collins and pay the piper for D Ford.

Bottom line is both DT's need to be studs to stuff the run and make just normal pass rush as we have two top tier DE's.

Hopefully Ed Oliver or Christian Wilkins is available in the first round and if you can get someone like Clark in FA for a relatively friendly contract that is great. If not perhaps another pick in round 2 like Jaylon Ferguson or if one of the other DL guys slips.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I mean, you know, I stole it from you so really you are just calling yourself awesome.

I actually went to my old @ACDC_Rocks024 profile to see if the pic was still there, but it wasn't so I just assumed you dug that bad boy up. It's one of my favorite pictures of him, you can just feel that emotion pouring out of him along with the banner on my FF profile :) *goosebumps* 

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Byron Murphy isn’t the best corner but he is pretty damn goos. Lacks man to man skills but he is A stud in zone coverage. He would the ideal corner in Silks scheme. Silk prolly could do some great things with Murphy and Ward as his to corners

Also no way Isabella is a 5th Rd pick. I see him more 3rd than 4th. Dude has amazing tape and when he gets a chance to back up that great tape with an amazing combine he won’t be falling into the later rds. I also believe being just a slot WR isn’t as bad as it use to be. With the way offense is changing up in the passing attacks. That there is nothing wrong in having a stud slot. We just saw a stud a lot take over the super bowl. He could be a real nice weapon for baker tho

Murphy sucks at tackling. He's going to be conceding the flats in zone and have to make tackles. We can't grab another poor tackler and thrust him into our starting lineup. Piss poor tackling was our kryptonite last year. I'm not about to add another dude that sucks at it. Especially in the 1st round. Especially for a CB that will be playing primarily zone. Zone is so damn easy to play for outside cornerbacks. We don't need to invest in a zone CB that can't tackle in the 1st round. That'd be a catastrophic mistake.

Isabella had a terrible senior bowl week and has the measurements of a prepubescent child. I'm pretty sure this guy has bigger hands than him:
Image result for scary movie strong hand

I actually like him, but when was the last time a pure slot WR was taken that high? Plus this is a stacked WR class. I don't even think he's the best slot WR in this draft. Greg Dortch is better than he is.

@BleedTheClock I currently believe Charles Omenihu could be the guy. Just how I envision the board playing out. Wilkins, Burns, Ferrell off the board; Murphy's poor tackling, Greedy Williams' inconsistencies with effort and DeAndre Baker's lack of athleticism - all the top CB's are out of the question. I just think he's the guy who could have the highest upside that'll still be available. Plus, he's the kinda guy who can play anywhere on the line and fit right in with any high-end free agent they bring in 

You and I both know he's gonna show out at the combine and the first round buzz will be a'whirlin. What's your assessment? 

20 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@BleedTheClock I currently believe Charles Omenihu could be the guy. Just how I envision the board playing out. Wilkins, Burns, Ferrell off the board; Murphy's poor tackling, Greedy Williams' inconsistencies with effort and DeAndre Baker's lack of athleticism - all the top CB's are out of the question. I just think he's the guy who could have the highest upside that'll still be available. Plus, he's the kinda guy who can play anywhere on the line and fit right in with any high-end free agent they bring in 

You and I both know he's gonna show out at the combine and the first round buzz will be a'whirlin. What's your assessment? 

I don't like Omenihu very much. He's got nice burst and incredible size and athletic gifts, but has literally zero technique. He sucks at getting skinny and flattening out to the QB. He's overall solid but doesn't do anything to warrant a 1st round selection. He was invisible in way too many games this year for Texas and was outperformed by Malcolm Roach, a bleh prospect in next year's draft. And he offers no versatility as an inside-outside guy. He plays way too high and gives up his chest way too easily to be considered an interior DL. There is a ton of work to be done with Omenihu and I couldn't justify taking him in the 1st round.

Deandre Baker's athleticism has literally never hurt him. He locked down Hollywood Brown and a host of other freak WR's in college. He's going to be great regardless of his 40 time. I'd take Baker all day over Omenihu. Or Greedy. Or Murphy.

I think we need to trade up to get one of the stud DL. If Oliver is there in the 8-10 range, go get him. Same with Clellin Ferrell. I don't want to have to settle for a high upside high bust probability guy like Omenihu. That'd be a horrible reach in my opinion. I know a lot of people love Omenihu because he moves so well at his size, but it's more sizzle than anything else right now.

@BleedTheClock I think he could legitimately be the most talented player available at 17. He showed some improvement to his technique in Mobile IMO when he flashed throughout the week. My feeling is that Dorsey is willing to take a guy who has ability to improve in their technique if they have the elite athleticism to make some immediate impact.

19 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@BleedTheClock I think he could legitimately be the most talented player available at 17. He showed some improvement to his technique in Mobile IMO when he flashed throughout the week. My feeling is that Dorsey is willing to take a guy who has ability to improve in their technique if they have the elite athleticism to make some immediate impact.

Do you take him over Rashan Gary?

Archived