DT in FA or Round 1? DE in FA or Round 1?

BleedTheClock

Best case for us is the 4 best QBs, a RB, and a TE all go before we pick.  For my mind, I'd be fine with 3 OTs like Taylor, Ford, and Williams going before us also.  I don't think we need an OT that high based on importance and how Baker gets rid of the ball.  If those nine spots are taken up, that at least puts us in a good place to get one of the best other 8 guys in the draft.  Whether that's a receiver (I'm not hugely on that bandwagon round 1 based on what's out there this year), a beast up front on defense, Devin White, or the BPA in the secondary.  Derwin James got pushed to pick 17 last season.  He wasn't at the Chargers greatest position of need necessarily.  But, he was the best guy there on their board and was hugely impactful for them.  Great players are going to be there.  Let's let the other teams reach based on position.  Best case scenario, the best guy available happens to also be a great player up front that falls. 

11 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Flowers is a great idea for a signing, he will be expensive, but hopefully not out of this world in pricing, maybe 14 million per year.

I saw a great comp for Flowers: it was Michael Bennett. He's perfect to be used in the same way and can be invaluable for a defense. 

9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Murphy sucks at tackling. He's going to be conceding the flats in zone and have to make tackles. We can't grab another poor tackler and thrust him into our starting lineup. Piss poor tackling was our kryptonite last year. I'm not about to add another dude that sucks at it. Especially in the 1st round. Especially for a CB that will be playing primarily zone. Zone is so damn easy to play for outside cornerbacks. We don't need to invest in a zone CB that can't tackle in the 1st round. That'd be a catastrophic mistake.

Isabella had a terrible senior bowl week and has the measurements of a prepubescent child. I'm pretty sure this guy has bigger hands than him:
Image result for scary movie strong hand

I actually like him, but when was the last time a pure slot WR was taken that high? Plus this is a stacked WR class. I don't even think he's the best slot WR in this draft. Greg Dortch is better than he is.

he had a terrible senior bowl, based on what? From the practice footage I watched and watching the game, his senior bowl performance was just fine. have seen plenty on the internet that say he had a good senior bowl.

I could see hand size being an issue if Isabella struggled with dropping the ball in college. Dude was pretty sure handed in college

8 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Do you take him over Rashan Gary?

Excellent question. I'm gonna say that I think Omenihu could end up being better when it's all said and done, if he's in a spot that isn't toxic to his development.

Gary came into college as one of the top ranked recruits in his class. In that regard, I think he's been underwhelming his entire college career. Both should test well in Indy and I know I'm in the minority, but I think Gary is more of a tweener than someone like Omenihu who has the upside to be impactful anywhere on the line.

It is only February, my views are subject to change, but this is where I'm at right now.

35 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I could see hand size being an issue if Isabella struggled with dropping the ball in college. Dude was pretty sure handed in college

I'd like to know how people feel about Hunter Renfrow's small hands if they're actually worried about Isabella's.

10 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

If the top 5 dts are gone by 17. Do we pull the trigger on marquise brown?

I'd take Hockenson before Hollywood Brown, but I'd be very happy with either.

Also, we should think about N'Keal Harry. He would do wonders with Baker throwing him darts. Baker loves to throw the jump ball and there's very few that can make the spectacular catches Harry does. Plus he's a nightmare running after the catch.

If we are sitting at #17 and all 3 of the WR's are there (Hollywood, DK, N'Keal), I trade down and take one of them assuming the elite DL guys are gone. Or I trade that pick and some other assets to New York for Odell.

But let's make damn sure the elite DL talent is still there when we pick. Trade some picks and go get one of the guys you like! Ferrell or Oliver for me pleae.

6 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Also, I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us sign Kwon Alexander. I could see him filling that Thomas Davis role very well. Super athletic LB.

He's a MIKE linebacker and has a lot of the same problems Collins does. I love Kwon because he is a MFer and plays hard, but he's not very good with his run fits. That's what killed our defense in the past few years. I'd be ok with a Kwon signing, but he's kind of overrated. Clearly an upgrade for us though.

2 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Gary came into college as one of the top ranked recruits in his class. In that regard, I think he's been underwhelming his entire college career. Both should test well in Indy and I know I'm in the minority, but I think Gary is more of a tweener than someone like Omenihu who has the upside to be impactful anywhere on the line.

Why do you think Omenihu can play inside? He plays awfully high and is extremely thin. I think he'd get absolutely demolished inside.

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's a MIKE linebacker and has a lot of the same problems Collins does. I love Kwon because he is a MFer and plays hard, but he's not very good with his run fits. That's what killed our defense in the past few years. I'd be ok with a Kwon signing, but he's kind of overrated. Clearly an upgrade for us though.

I get that he's played the Mike, but I always felt he was a better fit at the Will. When you have Lavonte David already at the Will, you have little choice but to slide over to the Mike. He's young, talented, and athletic, plus we have one of the best teaching LB coaches in the league.Technique and discipline will be fundamental with this defensive staff.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why do you think Omenihu can play inside? He plays awfully high and is extremely thin. I think he'd get absolutely demolished inside.

Yeah he needs to consistently have a lower pad level and bulk up some, but I saw reason to believe that these are things he can improve upon. First and foremost, I know he's been working on it. He talked about it in Mobile and showed it to an extent. As to his 6'6" 280-ish frame being "extremely thin," not only do I think he'll be able to bulk up, but I think his strength, athleticism, and extremely long reach will help him generate leverage even when his pad level is not always as low as you'd like.

6 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Yeah he needs to consistently have a lower pad level and bulk up some, but I saw reason to believe that these are things he can improve upon. First and foremost, I know he's been working on it. He talked about it in Mobile and showed it to an extent. As to his 6'6" 280-ish frame being "extremely thin," not only do I think he'll be able to bulk up, but I think his strength, athleticism, and extremely long reach will help him generate leverage even when his pad level is not always as low as you'd like.

I just don't think he's an upgrade over Ogbah. They're both big dudes with great athletic profiles. Neither is a polished pass rusher. I'd sacrifice athletic gifts for someone with excellent hands and technique at this point. We need pass rushers that hand fight and slip around blocks like ninjas to complement what we have with Ogbah and Garrett, which is two big strong athletes. This is why I salivate over trading up for Clellin Ferrell, as I think his hands and bend off the edge make him a future superstar pass rusher. Plus in Cleveland he'd be facing single blocks almost every play with Garrett on the opposite side.

I just think we need to go get Ferrell or Oliver and not sit on our hands and pray one of the tier 2 defensive lineman develop. I would be pretty irritated if we took a developmental project DL in the 1st round in a draft so loaded with finished products at the position.

On 2/23/2019 at 12:59 PM, Aztec Hammer said:

I would love Ed Oliver on this team. It seems like he’s been slipping all year and is at his lowest stock now. Might even be possible he’s there at 17.

Though more likely he’ll gain some traction as we get closer to the draft.

Honestly I think he will gain some traction leading up to the draft but I don't know if it keeps him in the top 10.  If he falls out I would trade up for him in a heartbeat.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:19 AM, MistaBohmbastic said:

Excellent question. I'm gonna say that I think Omenihu could end up being better when it's all said and done, if he's in a spot that isn't toxic to his development.

Omenihu < Gary. There isn’t really a question. I don’t get the sudden obsession with moving people inside. It’s like the hot topic this year. Gary could be a good LDE let him play there.

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Honestly I'm on the side of waiting till the 2nd or 3rd to go Dline

but I'm also fan of 

Byron Murphy 

Boo! Hiss!

DK 

Me too.

Devin White

Me too.

if any of those 3 are there I'll probably wait for d line till the 2nd unless one of the TOP guys is there. 

Agreed, but change out Murphy with Hockenson. That being said, my preference is to trade up and ensure we get a superstar DL. Or we could just attack it hard in free agency, but we should be all-in on the top DL right now.

Archived