Yeah, I Took A TE at #8

Just Want A Title

I made the move everyone will probably hate but I think I made some decent moves:

Free Agents:

John Miller OG--A serviceable starter while we develop a younger player

Mike Davis RB--A solid #2RB

Kareem Jackson--Signed to a 2-year deal to stabilize our #2CB position

Preston Smith OLB--A really good addition that let will give us three LBs that can rush the passer

Tyrell Williams WR--A younger WR who will be a more effective than Marvin Jones

Nick Boyle TE--A 265lb blocking TE

Draft

Rd 1--TJ Hockenson TE

Rd 2--Charles Omenihu DE

Rd 3-- Mike Bell S

Rd 4--Andy Isabella Slot WR

Rd 5--Oli Udoh

Rd 6--Kyle Shurmur QB

Rd 6--Qadree Ollison RB

We may have taken a TE in RD 1 but I think this is a pretty good outcome for us.  Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I'm OK with drafting a TE in the first round if the team fills their other needs through free agency - meaning they get another pass rusher and a #2 corner. 

Same. There are some very solid FAs this year at both of those positions. The only other thing is I'd like to see us try to trade back a little bit if we are gonna go the TJ route. The failure with Ebron can't and shouldn't stop us from going after a kid if we believe in him.

16 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I made the move everyone will probably hate but I think I made some decent moves:

Free Agents:

Preston Smith OLB--A really good addition that let will give us three LBs that can rush the passer

Draft

Rd 1--TJ Hockenson TE

Rd 2--Charles Omenihu DE

Rd 3-- Mike Bell S

Rd 5--Oli Udoh

Rd 6--Kyle Shurmur QB

Rd 6--Qadree Ollison RB

We may have taken a TE in RD 1 but I think this is a pretty good outcome for us.  Thoughts?

I don't expect Isabella to be there in the 4th. I think he's a mid-2nd to 3rd round guy. He's a legit 4.3 guy, seems like a solid character guy and can play inside/out. I think he'll rise more after the combine and when we start getting closer to the actual draft. I recall KJ being a 6th or 7th round guy in early mocks, sometimes even below his teammate (I can't remember that guys name). 

I can't get behind drafting a TE at #8 regardless of who they are. I like the Omenihu pick. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, TimeForChange said:

We couldn’t make Ebron work and he had a career year last year.

Maybe the Lions need to focus on other areas and just get a blocking TE like Boyle.

Like the rest of it. Nice job.

I hate this argument about Ebron because he just had a higher usage rate.  He still had a lot of drops and still caught a low percentage of balls thrown in his direction.  Very similar numbers to what he did here.  He just caught more TDs this year.  I'd also say Luck is better than Stafford so that helps. 

Aside from that, I think we need a TE, just not at 8.  Or in the first anywhere IMO.  See whats available day 2 or three at the position.  I'd rather take two late and hope one develops opposed to drafting one that high.  I'd still want a pass rusher or better 3/4 DE type at 8 if we stay there.

16 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I hate this argument about Ebron because he just had a higher usage rate.  He still had a lot of drops and still caught a low percentage of balls thrown in his direction.  Very similar numbers to what he did here.  He just caught more TDs this year.  I'd also say Luck is better than Stafford so that helps. 

Aside from that, I think we need a TE, just not at 8.  Or in the first anywhere IMO.  See whats available day 2 or three at the position.  I'd rather take two late and hope one develops opposed to drafting one that high.  I'd still want a pass rusher or better 3/4 DE type at 8 if we stay there.

Agreed - 100%. Outside of the TD's and targets, Ebron was basically the same guy. Pretty high drop rate. They just used him in the red zone on a more frequent basis.

I'd like to see a trade down unless an elite defensive guy is available and draft two TE's. I would also re-sign Toilolo.

Ebron benefits from being the first or second option when the Colts get down into the Red Zone. He wasn't that guy here, and I think a large part of his issue in general was lack of motivation. He never seemed to care and it showed quite a bit on and off the field.

I'd be horrified if the Lions took a TE at 8. Day 2 or 3? Absolutely, I'd be all for that.

41 minutes ago, X_Factor_40 said:

Ebron benefits from being the first or second option when the Colts get down into the Red Zone. He wasn't that guy here, and I think a large part of his issue in general was lack of motivation. He never seemed to care and it showed quite a bit on and off the field.

I'd be horrified if the Lions took a TE at 8. Day 2 or 3? Absolutely, I'd be all for that.

If a guy like Hockenson was a guarantee to be Rob Gronkowski right out of the gate... then the pick would make sense. Majority of TE's take 1-2 years to develop. A number of them are converted QB's or WR's, undersized OL coming into college.

Perfect example: Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M

Rivals.com had him listed as a weakside defensive end (played both ways in HS). Signs with Kansas, winds up in JUCO and eventually with the Aggies. Dawson Knox was listed as a dual threat QB.  

Free Agents:

We've done this year after year...either sign a starter, draft a starter, or make a trade.

Really rather keep my RB's under 24/25, keep Kerryon. Try and find a tough all around back in the draft.

Solid, but old. Think Glover Quin. I'd rather draft one earlier. 

Not to knowledgeable about this guy, but like the position and what I read about him.

I think we should definetly trade Marvin. But draft a fresher WR. 

Draft

Rd 1--TJ Hockenson TE

Oh I really hope not. I wouldnt draft a TE in the first round of any draft ever. That's me though. I would go D-line, CB, LB. 

Rd 2--Charles Omenihu DE

Don't know much about him. Like the position

Rd 3-- Mike Bell S

Rd 5--Oli Udoh

Rd 6--Kyle Shurmur QB

Rd 6--Qadree Ollison RB

We may have taken a TE in RD 1 but I think this is a pretty good outcome for us.  Thoughts

Overall I would be very sad

If we could trade back a couple spots then Hockenson or Fant might be in play.  I don't think the value is there at #8.  You've got better players at positions with just as big a need as TE, like DE and CB.  I'm not sold on Jackson.  He's more of a slot CB.  We need a true outside CB to pair with Slay.  You can always move Lawson into the slot.  You might even try Tabor there to cover RBs and TEs (although I don't hold out much hope that he can cover anything more than kicks)  Never heard of Tyrell Williams, but we'll need more options at WR and I don't believe Isabella is going to be there in the 4th rnd.  I do think we can find some players in the later rounds.  From what I saw of the Combine there might be some late round gems .

Archived