Jrry32's Pre-Combine Mock Off-Season

jrry32

Might as well make up for lost time with another mock before the Combine. I'm sure the Combine will change some things and give us a better read on where certain guys will go. As always, I've tried to change a few things up to expose y'all to additional options.
Cut
ILB Mark Barron

There's not much to say here. I think we're all agreed on this one. Barron stepped up in the playoffs, but we need somebody who offers more in terms of run fits.

Re-sign
OG Rodger Saffold
CB Sam Shields
ILB Bryce Hager
S Blake Countess
HB Malcolm Brown
ILB Cory Littleton - Second Round RFA Tender
CB Dominique Hatfield - ERFA Tender
RS Jojo Natson - ERFA Tender
DL Morgan Fox - ERFA Tender
CB Kevin Peterson - ERFA Tender
OLB Garrett Sickels - ERFA Tender
WR KhaDarel Hodge - ERFA Tender

I doubt there are too many surprises here. I would say the only two possible surprises are not re-signing Ndamukong Suh or Dante Fowler Jr. I think Suh wants his final multi-year contract. That will make it not feasible to bring him back. I like Fowler Jr., but I am wary of his price tag as a former top pick. I think we all expect Joyner to go.

Free Agency
[IMG] 
Everson Griffen OLB

It looks like Griffen will be a cap casualty after Stephen Weatherly stepped in for him this year and played solid football. Griffen had a mental health issue during the season, sought recovery, and returned to record 4.5 sacks over the second half of the season. In the previous four years, Griffen averaged 10+ sacks per year. He's a strong run stopper on the edge who is still capable of pressuring the QB. He'll be a nice player to pair with Donald.

gettyimages-630527070.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c
Dontari Poe NT

Poe is another guy who will likely be released and won't count against the comp pick formula. He's coming off a couple of average seasons, so I think we'll able to get him on a short-term deal at a reasonable price. He's a great fit for what Wade wants in his NT, and it's possible Wade's scheme could vault him to a big season and a big contract with somebody else (which is a selling point for us). Dontari is a massive man at 6'3" 350, but he's an exceptional athlete who should do well in a scheme that lets him attack the backfield.

usa_today_10210214.0.jpg
Ryan Groy C/OG

We tried to sign Groy after the 2016 season when McVay and Kromer had just been hired. The Bills matched our offer and kept him. Groy hasn't played as well away from Kromer's system, so I think we can sign him now cheaper than what we offered a couple years ago. He'll provide quality depth at Center and Guard.

Trade
LA Rams trade Round 1 Pick #31
Jacksonville Jaguars trade Round 2 Pick #6 and Round 3 Pick #35

The Jaguars trade up for a player in the late first (possibly an OL). We get our third round pick back.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #6 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson FS Florida
Analysis: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Taylor Rapp are both possibilities here. I'm a big fan of both guys. I think Chauncey has more potential, so I decided to grab him. Chauncey showed flashes in 2016 and 2017 as a traditional FS. However, he was dogged by bad tackling and angles. The Gators fired their terrible coaching staff and hired an outstanding coaching staff before the 2018 season. Chauncey moved from FS to a hybrid box safety/slot CB role and thrived in Florida's defense. Chauncey was responsible for getting the secondary lined up and communicating the responsibilities in a Phillips 3-4 defense (run by Todd Grantham, who coached under Wade in Dallas). Chauncey was one of the most improved football in college football this year. His tackling and angle issues largely disappeared (he still takes a bad angle on occasion). He displayed the ability to defeat WR blocks, blitz off the edge effectively, handle man to man and zone responsibilities, and great ball-skills. In the past, Chauncey showed off legitimate range and hard-hitting ability as a FS. Solving the issues that plagued him in the past have finally unlocked the Day 1/2 potential he's always had. At 6'0" 210, CGJ has the range and ball-skills to play center-field, the instincts and tackling ability to play in the box, and the cover skills to handle just about any responsibility. His hips are too tight to play slot CB full time in the NFL, but he's perfect for the jack of all trades safeties that Wade prefers. He's also a playmaking safety who posted 286 return yards (31.8 yards per pick) and 3 defensive TDs on his 9 career interceptions (in 3 years). I'd compare him to Malcolm Jenkins.

Round 3 Pick #31 - Kahale Warring TE San Diego State

Analysis: I imagine that some of y'all are going to be very confused by this pick. I actually knew nothing about Warring until a friend told me to take a look at him recently. This kid is flying way under the radar, but I expect him to jump into the Round 3/4 range after the Combine. Warring played in SDSU's old school, run-first, pro-style smashmouth offense. He has a lot of experience working as an inline blocker with the technical prowess, functional strength, and size (6'6" 250) to be effective in that role in the NFL. As it stands now, he's a solid blocker who handles LBs and DBs with his polished technical skill, outstanding body control and feet, and strong understanding of positioning; DLs give him a bit more trouble one on one because of their superior power. Still, the kid can block effectively, but that's not what excites me about him. Warring is an incredibly impressive receiving TE. He's a smooth route runner with the quickness and change of direction skills of a big WR. His routes are very crisp, and he uses his size/strength to create additional separation at the break point. Warring also possesses strong mitts, outstanding body control, and the ability to climb the ladder and win in the air. I think a guy like this will excite McVay because he has the ability block inline and be a mismatch in the slot. Warring reminds me a lot of Zach Ertz coming out of college.

Round 3 Pick #35 - D'Andre Walker ILB Georgia
Analysis: This is another that might surprise some people. Walker played OLB in UGA's 3-4, but I like him a lot as a 3-4 ILB. He reminds me of Dont'a Hightower. I don't see the tools for him to be a great NFL pass rusher. He doesn't get off the line well, he doesn't have the bend to turn the corner on a dime, he doesn't have an arsenal of pass rush moves or advanced pass rush plans, and his hand usage is uninspiring. That's why I don't like him at 3-4 OLB. That all said, at 6'2" 245, he's incredibly powerful and physical. He has the ability to stand up OTs, he blows up pulling OLs and fullbacks in the hole, he reads blocking schemes well and knows where to attack in the running game, and he hits hard. UGA has dropped him into coverage quite a bit. He showed a lot of comfort in zone coverage with smooth drops, and he showed the ability to turn and run with HBs in man to man coverage. He won't be an elite LB in coverage, but he has the athleticism and movement skills to hold his own. Where he'll shine for us is against the run. He's a guy who will be able to fill gaps and blow up blockers in the hole.

Round 3 Pick #36 - Chase Winovich OLB Michigan
Analysis: With all of the talent at EDGE in this class, I think Winovich is flying under the radar. He won't wow you with athleticism, but he's a relentless player who plays every down like it's his last. Winovich has a great first step, plays with outstanding leverage, has a powerful punch, use his hands well, and converts speed-to-power very effectively. He's not an edge bender, but he has the first step, balance, and leverage to threaten the corner. He has advanced pass rush plans, has great screen recognition, and plays the run well. He probably won't ever lead the NFL in sacks, but he's a guy who will play the run well, make very few mistakes, and consistently make the QB uncomfortable. I love his instincts and play demeanor. I see him sticking in the NFL for a long time as a glue guy on defense. I'd compare him to now-retired Patriots OLB Rob Ninkovich.

Round 4 Pick #31 - Easton Stick QB North Dakota State
Analysis: Easton Stick is my favorite of the non-first round QBs this year. My gut just tells me that kid is going to outplay his draft spot. First and foremost, Stick nails all of the intangibles. He's a winner who has a 49-3 career record and led his team to two national championships. He's a smart QB coming from a pro-style offense who ran the offense from the LOS and is fast through his progressions. He maneuvers the pocket well and is very elusive in the pocket; due to his sturdy frame, underrated strength, and impressive athleticism, he's very difficult to sack. Stick has a compact release which allows him to get the ball quick and the footwork for quick setups in the passing game. He's a patient passer who will let his routes develop, is comfortable hanging in the pocket, and is tough as nails when it comes to taking hits. When he's on, Stick shows plus accuracy to all levels and parts of the field. In addition to his passing ability, Stick is a great scrambler and athlete who is more mobile than former teammate Carson Wentz imo. The negatives on Stick is that he's a streaky passer and decision maker. He also has only a middling arm. He can generate plenty of zip when he's mechanically sound, but he is going to struggle with zip when forced to throw off platform and some of the most difficult throws that Goff can hit will be tough for him. He also can hold onto the ball too long. Regardless, I love this kid for our offense. He's smart, he moves through his progressions well, he's mobile, and he is comfortable in a run-first offense working from under center. Of course, the cherry on top of everything is that Stick has the best play-action fake in this Draft. I'd compare Stick to Rich Gannon, another small-school QB with impressive athleticism, an average arm, and a whole lot of moxie.

Round 5 Pick #31 - Sean Bunting CB Central Michigan
Analysis: Bunting is an intriguing player on Day 3. He's a risk/reward pick with the skills and athleticism to be a starting CB. Central Michigan used him in a variety of coverages, and he looked capable in all of them. Bunting is a 6'0" CB with long arms who uses them extremely well when pressing. He has quality ball-skills and is quite good at using his length to get his hands on the ball. He has great short-area quickness and fluid hips, which allow him to mirror routes effectively. When he's on, he absolutely smothers WRs with his great movement skills, length, good route recognition, and natural ability to mirror. That all said, Bunting is grabby, needs to be more patient at the LOS in press (especially with his footwork), and lacks play strength. He's feisty in coverage, but he's disappointing in run support. He lacks a physical mindset, allows himself to stay glued to blocks, and tackles like its a chore. He's also a pile watcher. He's a skinny kid who needs to bulk up a bit and develop more of a physical mindset. That all said, you can't teach his athletic gifts, length, and natural cover/ball skills. Bunting has a lot of Marcus Peters in him, both the good and the bad.

Round 6 Pick #31 - Stanley Morgan Jr. WR Nebraska
Analysis: Stanley Morgan Jr. is our type of WR. He loves to do the dirty work. Morgan is a competitive player who takes his blocking very seriously and plays to the echo of the whistle. As a pass catcher, he's a technician who plays with a high football IQ, runs crisp routes, and can be relied on to play like a professional on every snap. Morgan Jr. is a NFL-caliber athlete, but he's not going to blow anyone away in that regard. He's also a good hands catcher, but he'll drop an occasional pass in traffic. He shows great awareness and body control along the sidelines. And he has the versatility to play both in the slot and outside. Morgan actually reminds me a lot of Robert Woods. I think Woods is a better pure athlete, but Morgan has the same approach to the game. He revels in doing the dirty work, he's a consistent route running who takes his craft seriously, and he's going to show up week in and week out as a guy who will do his job well. 

Round 7 Pick #37 - Devine Ozigbo HB Nebraska
Analysis: Ozigbo broke out this year in a major way after reshaping his body over the off-season. At 5'11" 220, Ozigbo is a thickly built runner. It's noticeable how thickly built his lower body is and that translates to his game. He's a powerful runner who displays great leg drive to move the pile even after he's stacked up. What excites about his game is that he is shifty at his size with nimble feet and sound footwork. Ozigbo had a very productive year largely running in zone concepts at Nebraska. He has a great feel for how to attack defenses when running behind zone blocking schemes, with great cutback recognition and impressive vision on the second level. Ozigbo has shown some inconsistencies as a pass catcher, but he had a strong week at the East-West Shrine Game there, so it's possible that could become a strength. As a blocker, Ozigbo has the size, strength, and desire. He just needs to get better with his blitz recognition and angles. Those are things that will come with experience. All in all, Ozigbo is a great fit in our system.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Brandin Cooks
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee or Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein

5T: Michael Brockers
NT: Dontari Poe
3T: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Everson Griffen
Mo LB: Cory Littleton
Mike LB: D'Andre Walker or Micah Kiser or Bryce Hager
SOLB: Samson Ebukam
RCB: Aqib Talib
LCB: Marcus Peters
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
SS: John Johnson

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Interesting take on it and I like it though I don't know anything about the ILB which is one spot I really want to upgrade. I'm curious of a couple things though. As we have seen in recent years Snead has feasted on the Senior Bowl type games for his picks. How many come from there? Another question is somebody I've heard decent things about and was curious if you'd seen him is WR Terry Godwin from Georgia. Looks to be a pretty good slot WR from the little I've seen. 

58 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Interesting take on it and I like it though I don't know anything about the ILB which is one spot I really want to upgrade. I'm curious of a couple things though. As we have seen in recent years Snead has feasted on the Senior Bowl type games for his picks. How many come from there? Another question is somebody I've heard decent things about and was curious if you'd seen him is WR Terry Godwin from Georgia. Looks to be a pretty good slot WR from the little I've seen. 

None. There are a few Senior Bowl guys who interest me, but I'm not sure they'll be there when we pick (Nasir Adderley and Montez Sweat). With my mocks, I aim to be realistic by picking players who are logical scheme fits and fit our past strategies, but I also focus on guys I like. In this case, I just haven't found a lot of Senior Bowl guys who jump out to me where we're picking.

On Terry Godwin, I almost tossed him into one of my earlier mocks. I love the effort he brings to the table as a blocker despite being only 5'11" 175. He's a quick dude who runs quality routes and has good burst off the LOS. He's a reliable hands catcher too. The problem for him is the lack of play strength (struggles especially against the press) and him being a small dude who doesn't have great top-end speed. Still, I like him as a pick in the later parts of Day 3.

Honestly really like this offseason, and it seems fairly realistic.  By letting those 3 bigger FA's leave, I think we are set up for potentially another 3rd and probably 2 4th round comp picks also, dependent upon how much they sign for.  Although Groy would count against that. 

As for the draft, I love CGJ and would be hoping he fell to us at that pick. He's starting to generate a lot of buzz, but the safety class is relatively deep in the top 3 rounds.  Only pick I wasn't a huge fan of was Warring.  I'm not so sure he would be an improvement upon what we already have, and that pick could be used for areas we are in need of like Oline.  Outside of that pick, I'm on board, nice job!

7 hours ago, Flatlyner said:

Honestly really like this offseason, and it seems fairly realistic.  By letting those 3 bigger FA's leave, I think we are set up for potentially another 3rd and probably 2 4th round comp picks also, dependent upon how much they sign for.  Although Groy would count against that. 

As for the draft, I love CGJ and would be hoping he fell to us at that pick. He's starting to generate a lot of buzz, but the safety class is relatively deep in the top 3 rounds.  Only pick I wasn't a huge fan of was Warring.  I'm not so sure he would be an improvement upon what we already have, and that pick could be used for areas we are in need of like Oline.  Outside of that pick, I'm on board, nice job!

I'd love to see McVay use Warring. I think him and Everett could develop into quite the duo. He has an ability to run routes that Higbee just doesn't.

Another guy to consider in the Morgan mold who fills a role we really lacked when Kupp went down is the kid out of UC Davis, Keelan Doss, and unless he blasts off a 40-time that I really don't think he's capable of, he's going to likely be available in that 6th-7th round range.  The guy has clean, CLEAN routes reminiscent of Kupp's, can play X, Y, or Z and is really cerebral - I get the feeling he's the kind of guy who McVay would love because he's a WR whose bag is reading the defense pre-snap and excels running option routes (like Kupp).

Archived