Boda's (Pre Combine) 2019 Mock Offseason

Boda

Okay so mine wont be as pretty as the others but this is what I'd like to see happen.  I wanted to wait a little longer & put some more work into it but it already seems that people have some of the same ideas as me so I figured its time to get it out there.  

-------------------

CUTS/RELEASES:

S - Andrew Sendejo
OG - Mike Remmers

LET WALK:

Walk - QB - Trevor Siemian
Walk - RB - Ameer Abdullah
Walk - RB - Latavius Murray
Walk - WR - Aldrick Robinson
Walk - OG - Tom Compton
Walk - DT - Sheldon Richardson
Walk - DT - Tom Johnson
Walk - CB - Marcus Sherels
Walk - S - George Iloka
Walk - K - Dan Bailey

CONTRACTS REWORKED:

TE - Kyle Rudolph
Salaries aren't my strong point so I won't try to predict a new contract

FREE AGENCY:
FA - WR - DeSean Jackson 
D-Jax not only brings Kirk a familiar face but he upgrades the WR3 spot & brings the ability to take the top off opposing defenses which IMO was all the offense was missing besides the obvious Offensive line issues.
FA - OC -
Matt Paradis
The big signing. Paradis would lock down the Center position & help stabilize an Offensive Line that could turn some heads.  It also allows Elflein to move to one of the OG positions.
K -
Cody Parkey
Has ties to our new ST Coordinator & was trying to just connect some dots while being realistic.  If I had my choice it'd be Robbie Gould

TRADES:

DE - Everson Griffen to NE for 3rd round pick(73)

CB - Trae Waynes  & WR - LaQuan Treadwell to Oak for 2nd(35) & 6th(196) round picks

4th round(120) & 6th round(190) to NYG for 4th(108)

DRAFT:

1(18) DT - Ed Oliver - Houston
2(35) OG -
Dalton Risner - Kansas St
2(50)
S - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - Florida 
3(73)
LB - Vosean Joseph - Florida
3(81)
DE - Joe Jackson - Miami 
4(108)
WR - Lil Jordan Humphrey - Texas
6(196)
QB - Clayton Thorson - Northwestern
6(209)
CB - Damon Arnette - Ohio St
7(comp)
OT - Dennis Daley - South Carolina
7(comp)
WR - Greg Dortch - Wake Forest

DEPTH CHART:

Depth
Offense(26)
QB(3) - Cousins / Sloter / Thorson
RB(3) - Cook / Boone / Thomas
FB(1) - Ham
WR(6) - Diggs / Thielen / Jackson / Humphrey / Dortch / Beebe
TE(3) - Rudolph / Morgan / Conklin 
OT(4) - Reiff / O'Neil / Collins / Daley
OG(4) - Elflein / Risner / Easton / Isidora
OC(2) - Paradis / Jones
Defense(24)
DE(4) - Hunter / Weatherly / Jackson / Bower
DT(4) - Joesph / Oliver / J.Johnson / Holmes
OLB(4) - Barr / Wilson / Joesph / Gedeon
ILB(3) - Kendricks / Brothers / Downs
CB(5) - Rhodes / Hill / Hughes / Alexander / Arnette
S(4) - Smith / Harris / Kearse / Gardner-Johnson
Special Teams(3)
ST(2) - Parker / Wile / McDermott

PRACTICE SQUAD(10):
QB - Easton Stick(UDFA)
RB - Qadree Ollison(UDFA)
WR - Brandon Zylstra
OC - Cornelius Edison
OG - Garrett Brumfield(UDFA)
TE - Dax Raymond(UDFA)
DE - Ade Aruna
DT - Hercules Mata’afa
LB - Reshard Cliett
CB - Craig James

Not really a fan of the DeSean pickup as he seems like a guy that would try to tear apart the locker room if he wasn't getting enough targets. Parkey seems like an absolute disaster waiting to happen. Signing a kicker coming off a bad year who missed a heartbreaking kick in the playoffs to come to a team where the coach is gonna put more pressure on him than the fan base seems like a terrible idea.

I like the draft, but everything would have to break exactly right for us to get a lot of these guys, especially our first two picks seem very very optimistic.

I would take Ed Oliver all day at 18 but why in the world would he fall that far?  I think he is going to fall a little, past top 3-4 picks but after he does well at the combine which he should no way he drops this low.  And again like someone else had, why would Risner drop to the 2nd round?  No way that happens he is far too good of a player, we would be lucky to get Risner in the 1st round at 18 much less 2nd round at 35.

I would love Jackson in the third though and he would totally be an option.  Would not mind Joseph but 3rd is a little early for him, he is raw to say the least, this past year was really his only productive year and he is so damn weak at the point of attack, he makes Kendricks look strong.  Gardner-Johnson would be great also but not sure we need a safety that high, OL needs more help.

Humphrey and Thorson I would not mind, Arnette is still on Ohio State and is not in this draft class I believe.  Daley I would not mind that late either and Greg Dortch would be cool but again no way he drops to the 7th with his return ability and big time speed, he is a mid round pick or possibly 3rd or late 2nd rounder not a 7th rounder.  

And Parkey as a kicker?  I am not a huge Bailey guy but might as well stick with him Parkey sucks I feel and we do not need another mentally fragile kicker.  Also the Pats would take Griffen but only after we cut him and they sign him for a little, they would never pay his contract I feel and I mean never!

I like the idea of adding a WR with speed and DeSean Jackson has chemistry with Cousins so that is a plus, but the price point would have to be right IMO since he does have a diva personality and our salary cap is already tight.

I really don’t like the idea of getting rid of Waynes or Griffen.  I would prefer to either talk Griffen into taking a pay cut or cut him and take the small cap hit and then resign him to a cheaper contract.

I’d love this (outside of trading Wayne’s for a 2nd rounder) but draft wise it’s VERY unlikely. 

Slim to none chance Oliver is around at 18.

Joseph is basically my favorite pick you have here, but it’s not going to happen in the 3rd. 

The Chances Dotch is around at the end of the 7th is less of a chance than Oliver being there around #18

like I said, love the draft! Just a little bit unlikely lol

23 minutes ago, vikings209 said:

Nobody thinks Oliver will fall but I think he might. Shariff Floyd was a concenses top 5 pick and we got him at 23 if I remember correctly and Oliver has just as many concerns. This off-season is similar to mine so of course I like it.

His concerns I feel like "he got in an argument with his coach because his coach wouldn't let him wear a coat on the sidelines". This guy has freakish ability. A few teams might over think it, but not 17.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:29 AM, gopherwrestler said:

I’d love this (outside of trading Wayne’s for a 2nd rounder) but draft wise it’s VERY unlikely. 

Slim to none chance Oliver is around at 18.

Joseph is basically my favorite pick you have here, but it’s not going to happen in the 3rd. 

The Chances Dotch is around at the end of the 7th is less of a chance than Oliver being there around #18

like I said, love the draft! Just a little bit unlikely lol

Understandable.  I do think Oliver is going to fall but thats just personal opinion.  The Waynes trade came up when Risner was still sitting there at 35 & with the depth of CB vs OL IMO we make that trade all day atleast if I was in charge.  I do agree Dortch wont be there but this was a pre combine mock.  Just wish Dortch could go un-noticed more

On 2/25/2019 at 10:07 AM, Kparty15 said:

I like the idea of adding a WR with speed and DeSean Jackson has chemistry with Cousins so that is a plus, but the price point would have to be right IMO since he does have a diva personality and our salary cap is already tight.

I really don’t like the idea of getting rid of Waynes or Griffen.  I would prefer to either talk Griffen into taking a pay cut or cut him and take the small cap hit and then resign him to a cheaper contract.

The DeSean signing would be a lower salary/easy to get out of if he causes problems.  I just wanted to add that take the top off a defense player & his chemistry with Cousins should make a good fit IMO

I like the Paradis signing but would be signing another free agent offensive linemen before the draft -- maybe Tom Compton if the team is unable to sign an improvement. Elflein and Isidora bring the presumptive starters at guard going into the draft would be a mistake. 

17 hours ago, vikestyle said:

His concerns I feel like "he got in an argument with his coach because his coach wouldn't let him wear a coat on the sidelines". This guy has freakish ability. A few teams might over think it, but not 17.

It's certain about his freakish ability, but the size and where to play him will "freak" out a lot of teams, because unless you absolutely know where you're going to play him, you may want to draft a guy who's a more sure thing than Oliver.   I actually wouldn't be all that surprised to see him still available at #18.  He has a lot of upside, but he has a lot of work to do too.  

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

It's certain about his freakish ability, but the size and where to play him will "freak" out a lot of teams, because unless you absolutely know where you're going to play him, you may want to draft a guy who's a more sure thing than Oliver.   I actually wouldn't be all that surprised to see him still available at #18.  He has a lot of upside, but he has a lot of work to do too.  

I know Aaron Donald isn't the exact same guy as Oliver, but I think GM's would rather be the guy who took a chance on a guy who could have a Donald type impact as an interior pass rusher or be the guy who passed on him? Once again, anything could happen and you could very well be right, but I think Donald's immense success helps Oliver a lot. 

And as far as sure things, who is that? Boss seems like the real deal, but Rashan Gary is all potential and Christian Wilkins is talked about as a guy who will get handled and then have an amazing play every so often. Oliver is the exact type you should gamble on. Incredible athletic profile and had production as well (even though he could have had more). Good coaches don't worry about making a guy fit in their defense, they will take a guy like that and put him in his best position to succeed.

Archived