Three Draftees Who Could Replace Parkey

soulman

Chicago Bears: 2019 NFL Draft prospects to replace Cody Parkey

https://dawindycity.com/2019/02/23/chicago-bears-nfl-draft-cody-parkey/

900372680.jpeg&w=3200Austin Seibert, Senior, Oklahoma

Over his four-year collegiate career, Seibert has connected on 25-of-27 field goals inside of 30 yards. He’s been nearly automatic from that range. The question marks start to come, however, when he gets outside of that yardage.

From 30-to-39 yards, Seibert was 28-of-34 in four seasons. Anything 40 yards and above? Seibert went 10-of-18. That’s not excellent by any means, but he very likely could end up being an undrafted free agent pickup for Chicago — at that point, he’s well-worth signing.

1063006332.jpeg&w=3200Matt Gay

In two seasons with Utah, Gay is a perfect 85 out of 85 on extra points. Sure, go ahead and give me the part about how extra points are easier in college. That’s fine. But, repetition is repetition — and he’s nailed it from that distance.

How about anything inside 40 yards? Easy.

Gay went a combined 37-of-38 anywhere inside that yardage in two seasons with Utah. He was darn-near perfect there.

From 40 yards on out, he looked like a collegiate kicker — one of the best, though. Gay went 11-for-17 on field goals ranging from 40 to 49 yards — not too shabby.

This is what should get you excited, if you’re a Bears fan. On field goals over 50 yards, Gay connected on 8-of-11. That includes long tries of both 55 and 56 yards, made in separate seasons.

1088768438.jpeg&w=3200Cole Tracy, Senior, LSU

Tracy connected on all 42 of his extra point attempts in 2018. To make it even clearer how good he was up close, he didn’t miss a single kick inside of 30 yards either. Tracy was a perfect 13-of-13.

From 30 to 49 yards, Tracy went a solid 13-of-15. Then, when it came to the big ones, he went 3-for-5 on kicks over 50 yards, with a season-long of 54.

Tracy ended up setting an LSU record with 29 made field goals last year while also setting an NCAA all-division record with 97 over his career. The incredible part of Tracy’s journey is that it began at Division II school Assumption College in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Ordinarily I'm not in favor of drafting a PK but we've struggled for so long and so much with vets we've ended up over paying for their failures that I'm feeling it's time to wipe the slate clean of that approach and bring in fresh talent from the college ranks.  We've already done that with Redford Jones.

We also have two 7th round picks and in order to be assured of getting one of the top PK in this draft if we need to spend one on one of these guys as opposed to a position player who, if he even survives being cut, will likely rise no farther than the PS in 2019 I'd prefer we spend it on a top rookie PK.

It's hard to imagine the two most would favor, Gay and Tracy, could possibly be any worse than Barth or Parkey and were talking about paying a rookie minimum salary of $495K plus maybe a $90-$100k signing bonus for a 4 year deal. Don't know about you guys but my feeling is just do it. Draft one.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Inside 30 yards? Who cares. 

For the most part I'd agree put that PAT distance and Parkey even blew 4 of those this year.

Gay seems to have the bigger leg and Tracy more accuracy 30-49 yards.  Both are very accurate inside 30 yards.

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Matt Gay is fat and has kicked in bad weather like Chicago.

I will go with him.

I'd tend to agree.

After our experiences with both Barth and Parkey I'm done with guys whose success came more from kicking in warmer weather.

Archived