The Combine Discussion Thread

WindyCity

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I will try and keep this as updated as possible.

Going to pay very close attention to the RBs and DBs.

Hopefully we get a little free agent buzz as well.

Yeah, this could be very interesting since we'll be looking to spot RBs and DBs who won't be taken early.

Interesting find by one writer is no single position drafted in round 3 at #85 or later has had more successful NFL players than RB.  Gee, and we just happen to be in the market for one.

On 2/25/2019 at 5:48 AM, Madmike90 said:

I am going to watch the TEs...this class is insanely deep and I still think it is the one thing that is really missing from this offence at the F position.

I think they call it a "U" in this offense.  In some they call it "H" in some they call it "F".  

Football terminology is weird sometimes.  Some things are universal like DL techs, MLB "Mike", etc. and some have a lot of variation from coach to coach.

I have said it here lots of times.  I think Nagy spent most of offseason practicing his primary scheme with Shaheen and Burton in game together.  Shaheen going down late threw a monkey wrench into a lot of time and reps and Bears went with 3 WRs instead which they had not practiced nearly as much.  They really worked the RPO game out of the 2 TE look in all their camps.  And there wasn't enough time to get to all the rest in a meaningful way.  

Sims could not replace Shaheen and when Shaheen came back late in year he didn't look same as he did in preseason.  He looked lumbering and too slow.  He either wasn't in same kind of shape, still had lingering effects from his injury or is simply a lumbering player.  Hopefully that was result of former and not the latter and not who he really is.  I still go back to live Denver practices when Denver media was livid Broncos couldn't cover him or Burton.  I guess we'll see what truth is this year.

I don't believe Nagy would have invested that kind of time in him all offseason last year if he was truly lumbering and incapable.  It would have showed in reps and the idea quickly abandoned. Nagy isn't an idiot.

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think they call it a "U" in this offense.  In some they call it "H" in some they call it "F".  

Football terminology is weird sometimes.  Some things are universal like DL techs, MLB "Mike", etc. and some have a lot of variation from coach to coach.

I have said it here lots of times.  I think Nagy spent most of offseason practicing his primary scheme with Shaheen and Burton in game together.  Shaheen going down late threw a monkey wrench into a lot of time and reps and Bears went with 3 WRs instead which they had not practiced nearly as much.  They really worked the RPO game out of the 2 TE look in all their camps.  And there wasn't enough time to get to all the rest in a meaningful way.  

Sims could not replace Shaheen and when Shaheen came back late in year he didn't look same as he did in preseason.  He looked lumbering and too slow.  He either wasn't in same kind of shape, still had lingering effects from his injury or is simply a lumbering player.  Hopefully that was result of former and not the latter and not who he really is.  I still go back to live Denver practices when Denver media was livid Broncos couldn't cover him or Burton.  I guess we'll see what truth is this year.

I don't believe Nagy would have invested that kind of time in him all offseason last year if he was truly lumbering and incapable.  It would have showed in reps and the idea quickly abandoned. Nagy isn't an idiot.

I don't deny we could use more help at TE or at least some stiff competition for the # 3 spot but I'm not ready to sell short on Shaheen just yet.

Coming from a Div III program he had a lot to learn before his physical traits would really show up but even as a rookie he was no worse as a blocker than Sims and a much better receiver.  We didn't get to see a whole lot of him in preseason before he went down so he misses the rest of preseason and ten regular season games.  That's got to have set him back a bit.

He hasn't been thrown to all that much but when he has been his catch ratio is 85% and he's scored 4 TDS off just 17 catches.  I think the potential is surely there with another offseason to heal and condition and another year of OTAs and Camp.  We knew he'd take some time to develop when we drafted him and it has.  Let's see how 2019 goes before passing judgement.

I’m gonna be focusing on anyone who isn’t a top prospect, since those are going to be our targets. I’m fascinated by Murray and Josh Allen and DK Metcalf (who I just learned is former Bears OL Terrence Metcalf’s son) but those guys are not going to be Bears. 

3 hours ago, soulman said:

I don't deny we could use more help at TE or at least some stiff competition for the # 3 spot but I'm not ready to sell short on Shaheen just yet.

Coming from a Div III program he had a lot to learn before his physical traits would really show up but even as a rookie he was no worse as a blocker than Sims and a much better receiver.  We didn't get to see a whole lot of him in preseason before he went down so he misses the rest of preseason and ten regular season games.  That's got to have set him back a bit.

He hasn't been thrown to all that much but when he has been his catch ratio is 85% and he's scored 4 TDS off just 17 catches.  I think the potential is surely there with another offseason to heal and condition and another year of OTAs and Camp.  We knew he'd take some time to develop when we drafted him and it has.  Let's see how 2019 goes before passing judgement.

I agree, but the other concern with Shaheen is injury, specifically quantity of concussion.  He did look great in preseason, but he's looked like an AT-AT enough that I always am thrilled when he stays upright. 

There was one TD catch where he fell on his head and neck and I was convinced I'd never see him play again. 

45 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I agree, but the other concern with Shaheen is injury, specifically quantity of concussion.  He did look great in preseason, but he's looked like an AT-AT enough that I always am thrilled when he stays upright. 

There was one TD catch where he fell on his head and neck and I was convinced I'd never see him play again. 

LOL

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

LOL

Kids have recently discovered Star Wars, or at least a book about the vehicles, I've been explaining this **** left and right.  "No son,  that's at AT-TE (V3.45.55) totally different"  I was at a friends shop and they had a Star Wars AT AT (walker) and I was like "damn, that looks like our TE"

Bring on football, or at least summer.

Some interesting RB numbers from the combine...

David Montgomery - just a shade over 5-10" and 222lbs which screams Nagy

Elijah Holyfield - 5-10" 217lbs

Darnell Henderson at 5-8" 208lbs which is a great number for him

Justice Hill at 5-9' 1/2" 198lbs which is solid

Miles Sanders - 5-10' 1/2" 211lbs

Damien Harris - just a shade over 5-10" 216lbs

Josh Jacobs - 5-10" 220lbs - made money

On the OL Lamont Gaillard came in at 6-2'1/2" 305lbs with 33'1/2" arms and 10'3/8" hands...given Pace seems to love Georgia prospects ad we have already meet with him he would seem like the perfect later round depth development guy...can play both centre and guard...fits the athletic mold too.

Pace did a presser at the combine today.... Not a whole ton of noteworthy stuff to report from it, but I did find it interesting that he said (paraphrasing) "we interviewed 4-5 running backs last night".

So, RB is quite definitely on the radar as a position to watch for  (which we all more or less assumed, but consider it confirmed at this point too)

Archived