The Combine Discussion Thread

WindyCity

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Darrell Henderson and Justice Hill are HR hitters at RB and both had really nice weigh ins.

Jamaal Charles measures 5'11" 200 lbs at the combine for what it's worth... 

I like Miles Sanders more than I probably should at this point in round 4.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Jamaal Charles measures 5'11" 200 lbs at the combine for what it's worth... 

I like Miles Sanders more than I probably should at this point in round 4.

I don't see him getting to our pick in round 4...would have to take him in the 3rd.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't see him getting to our pick in round 4...would have to take him in the 3rd.

I see so many different opinions of him, I think his combine may push him down but you're right we likely would have to take him in the 3rd.

19 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Some interesting RB numbers from the combine...

David Montgomery - just a shade over 5-10" and 222lbs which screams Nagy

Elijah Holyfield - 5-10" 217lbs

Darnell Henderson at 5-8" 208lbs which is a great number for him

Justice Hill at 5-9' 1/2" 198lbs which is solid

Miles Sanders - 5-10' 1/2" 211lbs

Damien Harris - just a shade over 5-10" 216lbs

Josh Jacobs - 5-10" 220lbs - made money

Quite few prospects to choose from.

I like Montgomery as a kid more like Jordan Howard with some power for a gap scheme.

And I like Henderson more as a big play back with great tools for playing in a zone scheme.

But overall I'd love to get Jacobs.

I liked Erik Lambert's scenario of trading our 2019 3rd and a 2020 2nd back to Oakland for their 2019 2nd and taking Jacobs if he's on the board.

Really interested to see SJSU TE Josh Oliver at the combine...excellent frame to work with...big strong and fast dude...could easily gain 10lbs and become an inline blocker...loss 5-10lbs and you have a 6-5" big slot like how Nagy used Kelce...I think this guy could be had in the 4th and be what we all wanted Shaheen to be.

How do we know Shaheen can't be all we wanted him to be?

Coming from Div III we knew the kid was gonna be a bit of a project and not ready for prime time as a rookie.  Then he lost the better part of 2018 to an injury which doesn't help his development at all.

I agree we could use more competition at TE but IMHO it's a little early to get too down on Shaheen.  If he isn't showing himself to be a full time starter this year then maybe we need to rethink his potential but I gotta give him an out for 2018.  Even when he returned he didn't look 100% healthy or in shape.

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Coming from Div III we knew the kid was gonna be a bit of a project and not ready for prime time as a rookie.  Then he lost the better part of 2018 to an injury which doesn't help his development at all.

I agree we could use more competition at TE but IMHO it's a little early to get too down on Shaheen.  If he isn't showing himself to be a full time starter this year then maybe we need to rethink his potential but I gotta give him an out for 2018.  Even when he returned he didn't look 100% healthy or in shape.

I’m with you on that. I think our need at TE is one to replace Sims, not Shaheen. 

17 hours ago, soulman said:

Quite few prospects to choose from.

I like Montgomery as a kid more like Jordan Howard with some power for a gap scheme.

And I like Henderson more as a big play back with great tools for playing in a zone scheme.

But overall I'd love to get Jacobs.

I liked Erik Lambert's scenario of trading our 2019 3rd and a 2020 2nd back to Oakland for their 2019 2nd and taking Jacobs if he's on the board.

Biggest issue I see with that is that it would make just as much sense for Oakland to just take Jacobs in that scenario. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Biggest issue I see with that is that it would make just as much sense for Oakland to just take Jacobs in that scenario. 

And that could be as well or Jacobs may not even drop into round two.  I've seen some projections of him going as early as the 25th pick of round one.  RBs and where they go seems to have become more of a wild card again and after the Combine is over their values may shift around quite a bit.  Some are gonna rise and some are gonna fall based on what they produce their and what their true measurable are.

Lambert's proposal was based on Oakland already having three #1 picks so their draft pool number is quite high as will be the amount of guaranteed money that will be committed to those players.  A high second will be less costly but still not as cheap as our 3rd and they could still find a RB there if they need one.

The tease is they get back their 2020 2nd we stole from them in the Mack trade and we truly did steal it.  That should be a source of at least some embarrassment so we offer it back to them for this years 2nd and our 3rd is interest paid in advance on the one year swap.  It may be a complete shot in the dark and Jacobs may not even be the guy who tops our board but IMHO it's not a totally ridiculous offer either.

8 hours ago, soulman said:

Your picking me up wrong here...I am one of Shaheen's biggest defenders...what I am saying is the replacement for Sims is Shaheen...when he came out and we say him running free in the open field some felt he could play that Kelce role...me included...but I don't think that is his game...I was impressed with his inline blocking last year and there is no doubt a red zone threat but for me we still need to be looking for that Kelce type...have Shaheen is the in line guy...Burton as the flex...then a big strong fast inbetween who can do a bit of both...watching Oliver that could be him with some development.

38 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Your picking me up wrong here...I am one of Shaheen's biggest defenders...what I am saying is the replacement for Sims is Shaheen...when he came out and we say him running free in the open field some felt he could play that Kelce role...me included...but I don't think that is his game...I was impressed with his inline blocking last year and there is no doubt a red zone threat but for me we still need to be looking for that Kelce type...have Shaheen is the in line guy...Burton as the flex...then a big strong fast inbetween who can do a bit of both...watching Oliver that could be him with some development.

Ah.....oops.  :$   Sorry.   Chalk it up to poor interpretive reading skills and not being a member here for very long.  I lack a lot knowledge of past postings that fill in some of those blanks.  It'll come with time though.

Yeah, I'm 100% with you.  Not having him much at all as a red zone and goal line scoring threat hurt us a bit last year.  He's tough to stop within 10-15 yards of the LOS but he's never gonna be a Kelce.  Who we could use is another Zach Miller who can avoid a career worth of injuries.

As great as Braunecker tested out at the Combine it's somewhat surprising he hasn't show more offensive ability as a pro because at 6'4"/250-255lbs and running a 4.65-4.70/40 he would fit into that in between guy spot.  He's an RFA we could throw a vet minimum offer at but we need to look at others of a similar type.  As important as TE is to this offense I would not be shocked if Pace drafted one if a true bargain fell in his lap.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ben-braunecker?id=2555482

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Ah.....oops.  :$   Sorry.   Chalk it up to poor interpretive reading skills and not being a member here for very long.  I lack a lot knowledge of past posting that fill in some of those blanks.  It'll come with time though.

Yeah, I'm 100% with you.  Not having him much at all as a red zone and goal line scoring threat hurt us a bit last year.  He's tough to stop within 10-15 yards of the LOS but he's never gonna be a Kelce.  Who we could use is another Zach Miller who can avoid a career worth of injuries.

As great as Braunecker tested out at the Combine it's somewhat surprising he hasn't show more offensive ability as a pro because at 6'4"/250-255lbs and running a 4.65-4.70/40 he would fit into that in between guy spot.  He's an RFA we could throw a vet minimum offer at but we need to look at others of a similar type.  As important as TE is to this offense I would not be shocked of Pace drafted one if a true bargain fell in his lap.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ben-braunecker?id=2555482

Not at all man I could have explained myself better 👍...

I fully expect us to draft a TE for a few reasons...1. We lack a consistent threat at TE with Burton being up and down...2. If Burton continues to play the way he has he won't be here after next year on that salary...3. This TE class is super deep and in the 4th or 5th you could get a guy who usually would be a 3rd rounder...4. Next years TE class looks terrible...

It's such an important position and as much as we all know we badly need a RB who fits Nagy's scheme I think TE is just as big a need if we want to see the full potential of this offence. 

Confirmed meetings we've had so far:

(It was an article about Running Backs mainly)

https://footballmaven.io/bears/news/the-back-story-at-the-combine-is-an-interesting-one-to-bears-BuZrxXE0DE6OSdz8kEno1w/

RBs:

Bryce Love

Darrell Henderson

Matt Snell

Elijah Holyfield

Miles Sanders

OL:

Alex Bars (sat last year with ACL/MCL, ND kid that worked under Heistand)

Shocked at Holyfield's first run...4.79...wasn't expecting 4.4 but still bit of a surprise given his tape...

Henderson also way slower than expect at 4.53...

Montgomery at 4.64 seems about right...

Sanders with a 4.5 flat is real good for him.

Archived