2019 NFL Draft Combine Feb. 26

Horseunit

9 hours ago, pnies20 said:

He’s thin because he was playing WR. He could be 245 in a week and a half 😂

I agree his best position would be TE. He could be a lot more versatile that way than at WR. You play him at TE and he is more Likely to get matched up with LBs, a mismatch he would abuse defenders in 

You have to be able to at least block a little to play TE. And moving someone positions post-draft is a recipe for disaster because you have no evidence they'll be able to pull off the inline blocking part of the position. If the guy can't block, it doesn't matter if you CALL him a TE, good defenses will still cover him like a WR.

42 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

You have to be able to at least block a little to play TE. And moving someone positions post-draft is a recipe for disaster because you have no evidence they'll be able to pull off the inline blocking part of the position. If the guy can't block, it doesn't matter if you CALL him a TE, good defenses will still cover him like a WR.

How did the Saints discover that Graham could play TE? Did they scout his ability to block someone out in Basketball. At least with Hurd you can tell if he can block a little bit when he had to block as a WR or as a RB when needing to pick up blitzes. 

Teams still didn’t D Graham up with a corner for coverage or cover him like a WR. You force a defense to show their hands. If we were talking about taking him in the first 3 rds, yeah I would want him to be a better more well rounded TE but he wont go that high IMO

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

How did the Saints discover that Graham could play TE? Did they scout his ability to block someone out in Basketball. At least with Hurd you can tell if he can block a little bit when he had to block as a WR or as a RB when needing to pick up blitzes. 

Teams still didn’t D Graham up with a corner for coverage or cover him like a WR. You force a defense to show their hands. If we were talking about taking him in the first 3 rds, yeah I would want him to be a better more well rounded TE but he wont go that high IMO

This is a really bad comparison. I like Jalen Hurd I think he can be a WR, TE or even RB in the NFL. Work ethic and desire would be the only thing stopping him from being at least quality whatever position he ends up. With that said the guy is an absolute abomination when blocking. He is terrible in space. Was terrible in pass pro. Could he get better at it? Sure but the biggest reason he is so awful blocking right now is that he simply doesn't want to do it. 

Also, Jimmy Graham is one of the many TEs who forced defense to start playing more and more nickel defense so again the idea that teams didn't treat Graham as a WR is complete wrong. Jimmy Graham is one of many reasons why nickel CBs and SA's are getting paid 7 mil a year now even if they are not stars i.e. Tavon Young's new contract. 

The trend of more and more nickel didn't happen because defense we suddenly forcing more 3rd and longs or obvious passing situations. It was because defenses had to counter for TEs who moved and played like WRs so they started treating them as such.

I wouldn't draft him as a TE more because of the available TEs who are available in the draft; Hockenson, Smith, Nauta, Fant, Warring, Raymond, Mack, Sternberner, Moreau are all better options. I would also take Donald Parham over him based on the potential mismatch he could create. If you don't like him as a WR then don't draft him at all. I wouldn't even mess with him at TE because their are better options who already play the position.

I don't even have a dog in this fight. Like I said he can succeed or fail at 3 different positions on offense. He has an incredible set of tools and that success/failure is all going to happen in his head. 

Archived