Revamping WR - Who should we target?

Deadpulse

I think most of us agree that surrounding Julian with other threats is of utmost importance this offseason, especially if Gronk retires and Gordo is still shelved. How many people walk away, how many do we target?

Just read that Crabtree was released. He could be a solid Hogan replacement if he takes a cheap deal. 

CP is the only guy I want back. I like having someone with his dynamics on the roster. Really I hope they add one veteran of Hogan's status (before he became a walking brick) and then use one of those comp picks. I am not feeling one of these outlandish trade suggestions people have been throwing out lately like OBJ and AJG. 

I have a couple of ideas:

Pretty Likely

• Cordarrelle Patterson - Patterson is already very valuable for his kick return skills and offered a lot to the Patriots as a sporadic weapon in 2018. He made some flashy plays, and I think he's definitely worth keeping for a chance to see him grow into a more reliable player. According to my model, he had a higher WAR than Julian Edelman (in part due to his rushing stats), and he had several long touchdowns. Cordarrelle has deep speed and, as his kick return skills show, he has plenty of field vision.

Unlikely Trade Candidates That I'd Like

• Odell Beckham Jr. - OBJ is one of the NFL's elite receivers on a pretty good contract. If you can land him for less than 2 1sts, I think you do it (or even maybe more - he's an All-Pro talent).
  • John Ross III - We all saw the Chiefs and the Rams blow up the NFL with the long ball this year. We've seen Tom have success with the long ball, and he threw some beautiful deep passes last year (see: to Gronk vs. Jets, to Cordarrelle vs. Dolphins). John Ross is the fastest wideout in the game, or at least really close, and I'm sure McDaniels could gameplan some ways to get the ball into his hands downfield.

Unlikely Free Agent Candidates

• John Brown - I've thought very highly of Brown since before he went over 1K for the Cards. He had a modest 0.15 WAR this season by my model, but I think the Patriots could make him better than Lamar Jackson and Joe Flacco could.
  • Aldrick Robinson - He's 30, but I would be in favor of a short-term deal for Aldrick. He's a great athlete who blew up the combine, and who recorded a WAR of 0.31 this year, which is pretty good, and he scored a couple bulletin board touchdowns in 2018.

The Free Agent Signing That Will Never Happen

• Malcolm Mitchell - He's recovering from a tenth knee sugery but reportedly still wants to play. Will he ever be back in New England? No. It won't happen. But I'd give him a second chance - he was easily trending towards being the best wideout the team has drafted since Edelman. His rookie numbers weren't far behind Tyreek's, and he had a great SB LI.

Not a Crabtree fan. Don't know why exactly, but I think he'd be like Chad Johnson and just never "get it", somehow. I would look at Demariyus Thomas first, he was drafted by Josh so there's some history there. Golden Tate and Garcon would also be ahead of Crabtree on my list. They're all known quantities though - getting older and all with injury histories.

Potential younger signings would be people like Adam Humphries. He's essentially Hogan but younger and with actual working hands. A potential under-the-radar move. Plus he's a real blue-collar guy so he'd fit in with the Pats WR room. Also a fan of Tyrell Williams from LAC, but he's a guy who might get a decent chunk of money from someone.

If Amendola is cut by Miami, I would like him back. He's a reassuring presence on the field. I don't know how amicable the split was, so maybe it's not doable.

Of the guys we have, I want to keep Patterson, his size and speed is a decent and versatile X factor. Dorsett is entirely "meh", but Brady seems to like him and he's not a dreadful 4th/5th WR...we would just have to make sure he doesn't start. Either way, a couple of decent plays in the play-offs will likely see a WR needy team overpay him (not big money, but more than NE would offer).

As for the big-name trades: The Steelers wouldn't send Brown our way for an entire draft. As much because of bitterness as strategy. Which is a shame, because he would tear it up in the NE system. AJ Green I can see being traded, given the CB are clearly entering a rebuilding phase with a new HC, but if he's available the Pats would be out-bid. OBJ would be fun to watch, but again there's somebody out there with a better first rounder who would get first dibs.

Archived