Revamping WR - Who should we target?

Deadpulse

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Is John Ross worth anything though? 210 yards in 2 years. At this point he's just that guy than ran a 4.2 40.

He was never worth a first round pick to begin with, just a guy whose stock began to soar after the combine. His injury history is already pretty bad and he couldn't acclimate to the NFL. So, no imo.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/golden-tate-would-love-end-patriots-free-agent

"Man, I would love it," the veteran wide receiver said. "I would love it. That organization, they've proven to be champions year in and year out. They work hard, for sure. But you know where you're going to be at the end of the season. You're going to be looking at not going to the playoffs, but you're going to be looking at maybe a first-round bye, which is key. 

"You gotta admire that organization. They do things right. They've been doing it for a long, long, long time. So, I'd definitely love to be a part of something like that and catch a few passes from ol' Tommy Boy. Julian is a buddy of mine. I'm real good buddies with him and I've heard good things. Kyle Van Noy, who got traded from Detroit and has been there and has been balling out since, has said great things about the organization. I definitely would not mind going over there for sure."

12 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

Ross' stats looked bad, but a lot of them weren't really his fault. His catchable target rate was 55.2%, and it was worse further down the field. That's really bad. I think the main problem with him is he can't stay on the field.

I think he has Aaron Dobson syndrome. All the skills but just cant handle the NFL talent around him. 

55 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Prime Golden Tate could have been a real monster in the NE system, but at this point does he offer anything that Edelman doesn't? Probably a bit faster.

Still, one of the better options. A short, cheap deal if he's SB hunting would be fine.

sure but I assume he wants 10 APY or so. In that case, no thanks.

6 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Dorsett and Pats have mutual interest but there is a market for Dorsett so he will test free agency. He is most likely going to price himself too high and Patterson and Hogan are both likrly going elsewhere as well I feel.

I agree. I could see 1 of the 3 coming back but it's far from a given. I see a trade for possibly John Ross (does not have to be him but for someone on a cheap deal), a cheap FA signing (could be one of the 3 but also someone like Conley), 1-2 WRs getting drafted along with Berrios and Edelman for 2019. Plus Gordon coming back can still happen.

With college players getting more NFL ready day 1 each year I don't see the issue getting young at that position either. Plus you shouldn't mess with the chemistry regarding JE cheap contract by churning out 10M APY for Humphries or Tate. Hell, they might look for up to 14 per year. 

Hogan is completely useless at this point. His skills and abilities have completely diminished over the last season. He doesn't know how to absorb hits and can barely stay on the field anymore. I hope the Patriots don't bring him back. And if they do, I don't expect him to make the cut. He won't be in the league past this coming season. Dorsett and Patterson aren't guys anyone should be relying on but they are good as role players as long as the Patriots keep them in the same boat they did last year along with their costs. Gordon is all but gone. There's no realistic shot he is instated back into the league at this point so good riddance to him. It was good while it lasted.

There are some savvy veterans that are interesting in Garcon and Crabtree who have shown the ability to play in an offense like this one. I also think Chris Conley is someone they make look at as he seems like the Patriot type and won't come at a steep price.

I don't expect the Patriots to come out of the draft with less than 2 new WRs given how aggressive they've been chasing WRs behind closed doors over the last calendar year. It's a pretty deep and diverse class. And I think guys like Parris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, Riley Ridley, Miles Boykin, Greg Dortch and Gary Jennings are the names to keep an eye on. 

Archived