Consensus Scouting Report - Kyler Murray, QB, Oklahoma

AlNFL19

KYLER MURRAY  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following traits do you think Kyler Murray is ABOVE-AVERAGE at?

• Decision-Making
    • Accuracy
    • Arm Strength
    • Pocket Awareness
    • Release Quickness
    • Leadership / Intangibles
    • Mobility
    • Mechanics
  2. 2. Which of the following traits do you think Kyler Murray is AVERAGE at?

• Decision-Making
    • Accuracy
    • Arm Strength
    • Pocket Awareness
    • Release Quickness
    • Mobility
    • Mechanics
  3. 3. Which of the following traits do you think Kyler Murray is BELOW-AVERAGE at?

• Decision-Making
    • Accuracy
    • Arm Strength
    • Pocket Awareness
    • Release Quickness
    • Mobility
    • Mechanics

I wanted to try something out here because opinions can conflict and I wanted to see other peoples' opinions of prospects, starting with Kyler Murray. Rumor has it he's up to 206 pounds, which I think is definitely good. I figured this would be a good way to get opinions on him and eventually generate a consensus if people vote. 

What's your grade on Kyler Murray? 

Mine is in the "Rounds 1-3 with Starter Potential" category for Murray, currently as my QB1. 

Edited by AlNFL19

Currently

- Average decision-making

- Above-average accuracy

- Above-average arm strength

- Above-average pocket awareness

- Above-average release quickness

- Below-average leadership / intangibles

- Above-average (great) mobility

- Average mechanics

Assuming above-average is roughly 67th percentile, average is around 50th, and below-average is around the 33rd (except I gave him 10/10 for mobility), that ends up exactly at my grade on Murray of 6.3 (Rounds 1-3). Pretty much confirms what I saw, but there are some differences.

Edited by AlNFL19

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Dunno where else to drop this so I'll just do it here

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001019244/article/kyler-murray-doesnt-plan-to-throw-at-nfl-combine

Worrisome to me that he doesn't want to throw at the combine.

I think he bulked up 10-15lbs in a rush for the NFL Combine. Maybe he’s not confident throwing with the extra weight. That is a bit worrisome. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Well he was definitey not 200lbs at Oklahoma. 

What’s your theory for not throwing?

Going off of past examples, you really only have things to lose by throwing/will still get drafted very high by not. Plus, most if not all will throw at their pro day to their receivers at their facility. If I were a guaranteed top tier draft pick, I'd show up for the medicals and then basically say "come watch me at my pro day, I'm not doing anything here".

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Going off of past examples, you really only have things to lose by throwing/will still get drafted very high by not. Plus, most if not all will throw at their pro day to their receivers at their facility. If I were a guaranteed top tier draft pick, I'd show up for the medicals and then basically say "come watch me at my pro day, I'm not doing anything here".

You have a point for sure. I can guarantee most GMs don’t factor in Pro Days at all though. Pro Days are useless. 

22 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You have a point for sure. I can guarantee most GMs don’t factor in Pro Days at all though. Pro Days are useless. 

Useless maybe for times/drills on some things, but Pro Days for QBs are EXTREMELY popular/critiqued.