49ers place franchise tag on Robbie Gould K

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

So they are going to trade draft picks which they do not have for him at $5 mil, but I guess it’s a good plan to put almost $10 mil into the place kicker spot. 

You can sign him to a long term deal and reduce the cap hit

what you are paying Parkey is a sunk cost and should not be used to evaluate future decisions. Its a basic principle of economics

Edited by N4L

On 2/26/2019 at 11:56 AM, Danger said:

smh. 

Hopefully in the next CBA the Players negotiate the franchise tag away. Absolutely horrible.

That might be priority #2 behind getting at least the appeals process for non-drug suspensions out from the Commissioner's office (I suspect the NFLPA would want to move the entire shebang out, but that might be a harder lift). The questions then become: what would the NFLPA be willing to give up in order to remove the tags, and are they willing to give X up in order to allow at most 32 more players hit free agency that much faster?

Stripping Goodell of his punishment power? That is a hill that the union might be willing to die on. Taking away the tags, as bad as it has been for certain players, might not be.

2 hours ago, N4L said:

You can sign him to a long term deal and reduce the cap hit

what you are paying Parkey is a sunk cost and should not be used to evaluate future decisions. Its a basic principle of economics

Yet you still fail to realize they don’t have the draft picks to trade for him. Their is zero chance the Bears trade for him. 

18 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Yet you still fail to realize they don’t have the draft picks to trade for him. Their is zero chance the Bears trade for him. 

tempted to post a video of the double doink as a response, but that would be in poor taste

I wasn't saying they would, just saying they could if they wanted to

53 minutes ago, N4L said:

tempted to post a video of the double doink as a response, but that would be in poor taste

I wasn't saying they would, just saying they could if they wanted to

Well sure they could but it would hamper the future of the team for the reasons stated above.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The situation for everyone who doesnt know is Robbie wants to go back to Chicago, has no interest in $5M as much as he just wants to be home with his family.  He has already said he plans on living in Chicago once his career is over and there has been much speculation that he will be given a FO role as well.  The 9ers are probably holding out hope that the Bears get desperate and offer ANYTHING in a trade.  The Bears preference is to find a long term young cheap option.  Depending on preseason, I wouldnt be surprised to see Robbie traded right before the start of the season for a 6th or 7th rounder and for him to sign a VERY team friendly ext.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The situation for everyone who doesnt know is Robbie wants to go back to Chicago, has no interest in $5M as much as he just wants to be home with his family.  He has already said he plans on living in Chicago once his career is over and there has been much speculation that he will be given a FO role as well.  The 9ers are probably holding out hope that the Bears get desperate and offer ANYTHING in a trade.  The Bears preference is to find a long term young cheap option.  Depending on preseason, I wouldnt be surprised to see Robbie traded right before the start of the season for a 6th or 7th rounder and for him to sign a VERY team friendly ext.

Wrong about the bolded. The 49ers have said emphatically that they will not trade him. He will either be a 49er next season or sit out for the entire year. 

Kicker is not a position I need in TC. If he wants to play this game, I say let him. He would be foolish to forfeit 5 million dollars for 16 weeks of work (he can go home during the bye). We are talking about September through December here.

Even if he misses week 1 and we lose the game because our replacement kicker stinks, he still wont be able to play for the bears, because we still wont trade him.