Johnny Ross trade rumors

Johnny Nix

Glad to see it isn't true (or at least Duke deny it).  I like the idea of getting AJ, Boyd, and Ross all healthy and on the field.  Add Hockenson as the new Eifert (but a much better blocker) and that a dangerous skill group along with Mixon and Gio in the backfield.

8 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Um, you're expecting the Bengals to fill their needs in free agency?  Have you been a Bengals fan very long? Bobby Hart was last year's free agent answer. 

In the past I’d agree with you. But I think we’re trending in a more aggressive direction. You’re also forgetting we took on nearly $12 million annually by acquiring Cordy Glenn. Whether or not it he was technically a free agent signing, we spent big money on player that wasn’t ours.

I’m not expecting us to break the bank for a premium free agent like CJ Mosley, but it wouldn’t surprise me if we brought in two quality starters at OL and LB. Ju’Wuan James, Jordan Hicks, Kwon Alexander, Cory Littleton, Daryl Williams, Thomas Davis or Rodger Saffold being a possibility.

If we land two players from that pool I’d be happy. Even with our low expectations, it’s not that unrealistic.

Isn't Littleton a RFA? Bengals (and other teams) won't give up picks for RFAs.  No thanks to Davis or Saffold. Hicks or KJ Wright would be a good signing. So would Trent Brown or Ja'wuan James. But either LB might cost 8 mil per year (about what we're paying Burfict) and either OT might get 10 mil per year. Bengals hate to pay that much. 

20 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

But either LB might cost 8 mil per year

That sounds a bit excessive, but maybe. 

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

and either OT might get 10 mil per year

Ju'Wuan James will likely use Rob Havenstein as a benchmark for his annual salary (who signed for $8.125 million per year). He could probably be had for $9 million annually. Is that worth the money? Not really if you ask me. 

There's more demand than supply in the early days of free agency. Bengals will have to pay up if they want to sign an above average starting player. With 50 mil in cap space, they should happily do so. 

To put it another way, between FA and the draft, we need to re-sign or replace Dennard, find a couple of starting caliber LBs, a starting RT, probably a starting RG, and a starting TE plus 1 or 2 backups. We could perhaps do something like re-sign Dennard for 7 mil, add Wright for 8, James for 10, Uzomah for 2, Eifert for an incentive laden 5, and Jesse James for 3. Cut Burfict, freeing up over 6 and we'd be about 21 mil under the cap going into the draft. Take Devin White in round 1 and Chris Lindstrom in round 2 and we'd have hit our needs with money left for extensions for Green and Boyd. 

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I think the Bengals are going to use some of that Cap room to resign Boyd AND Green.  Boyd to a monster deal and Green to a 3 year extension.

Yep.  Both in the last year of their deals, they'll try to sign them both just before, or during, training camp.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Yep.  Both in the last year of their deals, they'll try to sign them both just before, or during, training camp.

Those are probably the only two 2020 FA's deserving of contracts before the season starts though.  

I think they'll let Boling, Fej, Bernard and Vigil play out their deals.

Archived