Gregory suspended indefinitely

textaz03

I hope everyone understands why David Irving quit now.  I think it’s pretty ridiculous how the Cowboys coddle Gregory and support him as much as they do despite the fact that he has serious mental health issues because “he needs help”, yet they refuse to have anything to do with Irving because he “knows better”.  It’s disturbing to say the very least

20 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

I hope everyone understands why David Irving quit now.  I think it’s pretty ridiculous how the Cowboys coddle Gregory and support him as much as they do despite the fact that he has serious mental health issues because “he needs help”, yet they refuse to have anything to do with Irving because he “knows better”.  It’s disturbing to say the very least

I don't think that's what it's about. They would do the same for Irving if he showed the same desire for football as Gregory. RG really wants to be out there, and he's made efforts to make the staff believe in him. Irving didn't show that same effort or desire to play football, so they don't want to fight with him about certain protocols or whatever. At least, that's how I understand it.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I don't think that's what it's about. They would do the same for Irving if he showed the same desire for football as Gregory. RG really wants to be out there, and he's made efforts to make the staff believe in him. Irving didn't show that same effort or desire to play football, so they don't want to fight with him about certain protocols or whatever. At least, that's how I understand it.

That's exactly it. Randy has a legitimate mental illness, and is using a substance to cope with it. 

Irving is just a moron who can't put down the bong for a hot minute because he doesn't care enough to keep playing in the NFL. 

32 minutes ago, D82 said:

That's exactly it. Randy has a legitimate mental illness, and is using a substance to cope with it. 

Irving is just a moron who can't put down the bong for a hot minute because he doesn't care enough to keep playing in the NFL. 

Irving claims to have been diagnosed with several mental illnesses since entering the league. Gregory OTOH was confirmed bipolar upon/before entering the league. I’m not sure whose place it is to say what is or isn’t “legitimate” in that respect. Touchy subject.

Gregory certainly conveys a better attitude though.

53 minutes ago, D82 said:

*was

Officially he hasnt failed a drug test in like 1-2 years. 

2 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

You have no effing clue what you are talking about. Irving was on a downward trajectory, admitted he got high before every game, was having serious issues at home and he could best be described as crazy.

Randy hasnt failed a test in years. Most reports are that he is suspended for missing a therapy session. He's clean.  

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

And Irving also said he wasnt going to stop. 

24 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You have no effing clue what you are talking about. Irving was on a downward trajectory, admitted he got high before every game, was having serious issues at home and he could best be described as crazy.

Randy hasnt failed a test in years. Most reports are that he is suspended for missing a therapy session. He's clean.  

You don’t think that part of the reason he was smoking that much was to deal with the pain of playing football?  I personally thought Irving was spot on in his explanation of why he quit.  It’s totally hypocritical for the NFL to shove painkillers down your throat and then suspend you over and over for smoking a herb to deal with the pain in a natural way that doesn’t potentially lead to being physically addicted to it

Look, I can’t fault the cowboys for taking a chance on randy Gregory to see if he could overcome his mental health issues and be worth it in the end.  But at some point you have to cut the cord and that point has passed.  Gregory has played in a total of 28 out of a possible 64 games and has started a grand total of one of them.  He wasn’t even that great when he was in there anyways

10 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

You don’t think that part of the reason he was smoking that much was to deal with the pain of playing football?  I personally thought Irving was spot on in his explanation of why he quit.  It’s totally hypocritical for the NFL to shove painkillers down your throat and then suspend you over and over for smoking a herb to deal with the pain in a natural way that doesn’t potentially lead to being physically addicted to it

Look, I can’t fault the cowboys for taking a chance on randy Gregory to see if he could overcome his mental health issues and be worth it in the end.  But at some point you have to cut the cord and that point has passed.  Gregory has played in a total of 28 out of a possible 64 games and has started a grand total of one of them.  He wasn’t even that great when he was in there anyways

Are you arguing drug policy (your entire first paragraph) or Randy vs David?

Randy was our best pure pass rusher last year. Randy hasnt been busted in years. 

Once again, ignorance. 

58 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Are you arguing drug policy (your entire first paragraph) or Randy vs David?

Randy was our best pure pass rusher last year. Randy hasnt been busted in years. 

Once again, ignorance. 

Some of both.  And let’s not act like Gregory is leaps and bounds above Irving.  If anything the difference was kind of negligible when they were both healthy and on the field.  Irving had as many sacks in 2017 while missing half the season as Gregory has for his entire career in 28 games played

3 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Some of both.  And let’s not act like Gregory is leaps and bounds above Irving.  If anything the difference was kind of negligible when they were both healthy and on the field.  Irving had as many sacks in 2017 while missing half the season as Gregory has for his entire career in 28 games played

Irving is an outstanding player. He is also batsheet crazy. 

Randy is a very good player, who is sane even though he suffers bi polar. 

5 hours ago, matt79511 said:

Irving claims to have been diagnosed with several mental illnesses since entering the league. Gregory OTOH was confirmed bipolar upon/before entering the league. I’m not sure whose place it is to say what is or isn’t “legitimate” in that respect. Touchy subject.

Gregory certainly conveys a better attitude though.

The bold is the concise version of what I was trying to explain. And that goes a long way

Randy Gregory is a guy whom you pull for because he’s a good person who is struggling with mental illness. David Irving is not a guy whom you pull for because - regardless of a potential mental illness - he isn’t a good person. Irving is a walking prison sentence waiting to happen. Gregory is not.

Right. We heard about DI not showing for practice, and team meetings. Missing mandatory things. Domestic violence accusations, baby mama drama that caused him to miss early last year for custody battles. He had a history coming out of college. And never had the best mindset and attitude.

Randy Gregory was better. Always did what he was supposed to do and did it with the right attitude. He just failed tests. 

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You can only really help those who want to be helped. Gregory is fighting his butt off to be an NFL player. Irving was not. It is pretty simple. I don't view any hypocrisy in the way that the Cowboys have treated Gregory and Irving.

NYFDB is right. I've always been quick to give up on players who do wrong. Guys like Irving piss me off. Guys like Gregory get my respect. I applaud the FO for extending Gregory. 

Archived