Insight into Jim Schwartz's Coaching Style

Phire

Pretty interesting article. Not that we didn't already know that Schwartz is an intense dude.

Schwartz ripped into his players, especially Mills, during the defensive meeting the next day, according to several who were there. No one, he said in his trademark growl, is to openly question his decisions, and no one is to talk to the media about what happens behind closed doors.

Schwartz’s sometimes-abrasive demeanor had initially turned off some players, but at that point in his first season most had become accustomed to his methodology. The meeting ended, and that was to be the end of the subject.

“I think that was probably one instance where, from a player’s standpoint, felt like a little bit of blame was put on us,” safety Malcolm Jenkins said recently. “That’s something we addressed last year, and for the most part he’s been good.”

“When he first got here last year he came in right off the bat and was assertive and aggressive with everybody,” cornerback Ron Brooks said. “He needs control of the defense, and that’s how it is whether it be people talking during walk-throughs, whether that be coaches, players, whatever.

“He don’t want anybody talking but him. … So last year, people were like, ‘Whoa.’ ”

Schwartz would also reward players for effort with gallons of lemonade from Chick-fil-A, although the players said that he hasn’t pulled that card this year.

“In his mind his safeties in his defense should be no more than 210 pounds,” Jenkins said. “So the whole offseason he’s basically pestering me every day about my weight. But I guess he couldn’t imagine somebody at 215 being able to cover slot receivers. So I had to wait to show him in person that I can actually pull this off.”

“If your coach is not being hard on you and he’s just lax, then people sometimes take advantage of it,” Brooks said. “We don’t do that here. Jim is going to be Jim. Me personally, I love him. Wherever he goes, if he needs me, I’ll go with him.”

I like that he's making our defense more aggressive and focused on takeaways, but you can certainly comprehend why he wasn't a successful HC. We saw first hand that the control freak style doesn't generally sit well with NFL players. 

22 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I like that he's making our defense more aggressive and focused on takeaways, but you can certainly comprehend why he wasn't a successful HC. We saw first hand that the control freak style doesn't generally sit well with NFL players. 

Truth. I think it's okay to have the "bad cop" as a coordinator. 

Sorry I read this yesterday and forgot to comment on it. I can see how he could grind on players and have some guys that won't like playing for him, on the opposite hand he has players like Brooks who said they'll follow him anywhere. Like Phire said I can only see him thriving as a coordinator with a player friendly coach like Dougy Fresh.

5 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I'd like some insight into Doug. Does he think Carson Wentz is tom brady or something? Not giving a young QB reps in the preseason is just weird to me. 

Doug has said that they're counting the number of throws he makes this offseason. Maybe he's at his ceiling and they don't want him making more throws in the preseason games.

Archived