Anyone Quit nicotine before?

thebestever6

On 2/28/2019 at 1:40 PM, Fl0nkerton said:

My mom quit with Chantix, but said she got really crazy dreams from it.

A guy I work with tried chantix to quit and it gave him brutally intense suicidal thoughts. Like sent him to the hospital intense. 

Completely well adjusted guy with no mental illness history, almost offed himself cause of that stuff. 

Brains are weird. And I’m not trying to convince anyone not to use chantix, but definitely read up on side affects and know what to expect 

49 minutes ago, Dome said:

@thebestever6

hows quitting going? 

It's hard , challenging, etc..  I'm 3 days cold turkey realized big pharma and nrts is a crock of bs. I'm an addict there's no weaning off nicotine. 

Making the quit all about me . I'm not drinking for the first couple months as that is a trigger. 

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

It's hard , challenging, etc..  I'm 3 days cold turkey realized big pharma and nrts is a crock of bs. I'm an addict there's no weaning off nicotine. 

This is pretty much it, you just have to stop.

Will you want one? Yep, every day for a while.  So what?  You’re done.

That’s the only way I’ve found that actually worked for me.

Hang in there, the worst part is over.  Every day will get a little easier.

Some motivation....

stopsmoking.gif 

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And change that avi ;) 

Hardest part about quitting is nicotine has become who I've been for the last 10 plus years. And I realized that I used it to kinda cope to avoid conflict.  So all though I'm jonsing and feening I am being more blunt in everyday life and speaking my mind and that's gonna create issues but they might be better for me long term.

Technically the nicotine leaves your body after 7 days. At least per science. After a week you should be able to kick it.

The habit itself could take longer than that though. Socially very acceptable, a crutch in pressure situations, having something in your mouth, etc.

Quit for 9 years now. Smoked a couple times since but they taste like butt and i remember i only started smoking because it was cool in high school.

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Hardest part about quitting is nicotine has become who I've been for the last 10 plus years. And I realized that I used it to kinda cope to avoid conflict.  So all though I'm jonsing and feening I am being more blunt in everyday life and speaking my mind and that's gonna create issues but they might be better for me long term.

I smoked for about 15y and quit 3y ago. I had the most problems with my habits and routine...I smoked to help cope with anger and as a personal reward. I'd get up to go smoke, remember that I'd quit, and be furious at myself. Every time somebody asked me how quitting was going I felt like they were sabotaging me. Whatever. Anyway, I think that if you have that sort of self-anger that's being exacerbated by quitting, it really helps to concentrate on going easier on yourself.

A little while after i quit I was listening to a Ron Perlman interview (might have been Maron?) and he mentioned that his therapist had recommended trying "being your own child". Sounded kind of woo, but it basically just broke down into treating yourself like someone you actually care about. For me, it ended up being about self-loathing... I'd be mentally abusing myself (as usual back then), but tried to start imagining how I'd react if someone was saying that same stuff to my kid. Simply put, I wouldn't stand for it.

12 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

So all though I'm jonsing and feening I am being more blunt in everyday life and speaking my mind and that's gonna create issues but they might be better for me long term.

Maybe I’m wrong, but it sounds like you’re building in your excuse for starting again.

You’re going to need to learn some coping mechanisms, no doubt, but cigs aren’t it.  They’ll kill you, plain and simple.

What finally did it for me was taking care of head and neck cancer patients after they had masses removed.  Looking at these folks everyday was enough.  

*graphic*

https://cdn.medizzy.com/XilhHz2rx4Fv434d7EAzfLv41F0=/600x688/img/posts/b2c84894-e075-413b-8848-94e075a13b64

https://openi.nlm.nih.gov/imgs/512/230/2211745/PMC2211745_1746-160X-3-36-4.png?keywords=tumor

I posted those images as links as they’re quite graphic, but this could be the ghost of Christmas future and something to consider.  

Archived