Marcel Dareus restructures contract

LinderFournette

Wonder what the new restructured contract looks like. Thought for sure he was a goner earlier in the season, but his play improved and kind of phased Malik out (although he made some nice plays himself later in the year).

I wonder if they approach Malik too, but for now it appears we will have Yan, Abry, Dareus, and Calais back starting with Bryan and McCray as backups.

3 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Wonder what the new restructured contract looks like. Thought for sure he was a goner earlier in the season, but his play improved and kind of phased Malik out (although he made some nice plays himself later in the year).

I wonder if they approach Malik too, but for now it appears we will have Yan, Abry, Dareus, and Calais back starting with Bryan and McCray as backups.

u forgot Anoku as well(3rd string NT) who isnt bad. 

malik makes 2 much for us to upgrade at QB or upgrade our offense. im not saying hes bad but the guy lost snaps to bryan last year at the 3tech spot(likely because they wanted to see what bryan can do).  

if im malik jackson im not doing a restructure after they cut my snaps to a guy who wasnt playing as good as jackson did. 

Makes sense.  Seems to have freed up more room than restructuring anyone else was likely to yield.  Definitely brings Dareus cap number more in line with his real "value".  Happy this effectively means we're keeping the DLine intact other than presumably cutting Malik at some point.

Still curious if we see a bit of restructuring on Calais contract at some point as well.  There seems to be room to massage a little bit more cap space out of that, and he's seemed open to the idea too.  Might depend on just how much room they end up needing to clear...if they land a QB like Foles or not.  Since there's already a handful of really "easy cuts" left to make, which should free up plenty of cap space on their own, unless we go really big game hunting in FA.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Makes sense.  Seems to have freed up more room than restructuring anyone else was likely to yield.  Definitely brings Dareus cap number more in line with his real "value".  Happy this effectively means we're keeping the DLine intact other than presumably cutting Malik at some point.

Still curious if we see a bit of restructuring on Calais contract at some point as well.  There seems to be room to massage a little bit more cap space out of that, and he's seemed open to the idea too.  Might depend on just how much room they end up needing to clear...if they land a QB like Foles or not.  Since there's already a handful of really "easy cuts" left to make, which should free up plenty of cap space on their own, unless we go really big game hunting in FA.

Since he’s open to it i hope we explore that thoroughly we need more cap space

29 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Since he’s open to it i hope we explore that thoroughly we need more cap space

We might not even really need to.  By the time we cut Malik, Hyde, and probably Parnell...plus Bortles as a post-June 1st cut, we could end up with something like $35M in cap space.  Enough to give someone like Foles ~$20M+, sign all our rookie class, and even dip our toes into the FA market for a guy like Jesse James that we've been linked to.

A little bit more wiggle room this year would be nice.  But if it's not necessary and might hurt a bit of flexibility next year, might make sense to just leave it be.  Who knows.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

i wish we got rid of McCray TBH. 3 million and change for him seems a bit high just like that 4 million for abry jones IMO

5 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

i wish we got rid of McCray TBH. 3 million and change for him seems a bit high just like that 4 million for abry jones IMO

They seem to really love McCray for his versatility, and presumably mostly his ST "value".  They had him out there for like almost 2/3rds of our special teams snaps last year?  But yeah...it seems like a lot for that kind of player.  That seems likely exactly the sort of role you can get great value out of in a rookie while they're learning the ropes on offense/defense.

Doesn't really make much difference when you cut McCray though.  And we should easily be able to get the cap into a workable place for the offseason and into camp.  Doesn't hurt to have him around to "compete" with rookies i guess.

I don't think Abry Jones cap number is too bad.  He's a rotational guy on the DLine, but he still finds a way to get snaps.  Like just under half the time last year.  He's at least a + depth player.  Doesn't hurt to keep him around at that number, now that Dareus number has been worked down a bit, and since we're almost certainly losing Malik from the Interior DLine rotation, and really probably need to focus most of our top draft capital on the offensive side of the ball (and probably finding another DE to replace Fowler).

Just now, Tugboat said:

They seem to really love McCray for his versatility, and presumably mostly his ST "value".  They had him out there for like almost 2/3rds of our special teams snaps last year?  But yeah...it seems like a lot for that kind of player.  That seems likely exactly the sort of role you can get great value out of in a rookie while they're learning the ropes on offense/defense.

Doesn't really make much difference when you cut McCray though.  And we should easily be able to get the cap into a workable place for the offseason and into camp.  Doesn't hurt to have him around to "compete" with rookies i guess.

I don't think Abry Jones cap number is too bad.  He's a rotational guy on the DLine, but he still finds a way to get snaps.  Like just under half the time last year.  He's at least a + depth player.  Doesn't hurt to keep him around at that number, now that Dareus number has been worked down a bit, and since we're almost certainly losing Malik from the Interior DLine rotation, and really probably need to focus most of our top draft capital on the offensive side of the ball (and probably finding another DE to replace Fowler).

if im not mistaken hes also pretty penalty prone on ST's as well.  i guess hes also plays Backup Sam LBer as well as DE for us. 

Archived