John Ross On The Trading Block--Worth A Look?

Just Want A Title

I read that John Ross is on the trading block:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/26/bengals-looking-to-trade-john-ross/

He can't seem to stay healthy as a #2 or #1 WR.  Is he worth a look in a trade if we kept him in a #3 WR/KR role?  He might thrive with a change of scenery.

Personally, I wouldn't give up much more than a 6th-round pick or a player for him.  Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I read that John Ross is on the trading block:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/26/bengals-looking-to-trade-john-ross/

He can't seem to stay healthy as a #2 or #1 WR.  Is he worth a look in a trade if we kept him in a #3 WR/KR role?  He might thrive with a change of scenery.

Personally, I wouldn't give up much more than a 6th-round pick or a player for him.  Thoughts?

If we were to trade for him, I wouldn't give up more than a 6th. His cap hit is about $4M. He had 21 receptions for 210 yards but he scored 7 TD's.  His receptions and yards peg him at #192 for yards in the NFL last year. Most of the guys with those numbers are sub $1M, however they don't have his TD's. I wouldn't want him for anything more than a cap hit of $1.5M and a 6th. This isn't a move that will open up a lot of cap space and I believe it actually hurts the team more than it helps in that aspect (I think they'd have to eat like $700k in a trade). So they'd have to be pretty motivated in wanting to get rid of him.

If it costs almost nothing, sure? He could fill the deep threat/Tyler Lockett role in the Bevell offense, I guess. 

I saw someone suggest a Tabor for Ross swap, which I would be interested in. Apparently CIN needs CB help too, and I feel like Tabor has about run out of chances here. A change of scenery could be good for both players. 

33 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

If it costs almost nothing, sure? He could fill the deep threat/Tyler Lockett role in the Bevell offense, I guess. 

I saw someone suggest a Tabor for Ross swap, which I would be interested in. Apparently CIN needs CB help too, and I feel like Tabor has about run out of chances here. A change of scenery could be good for both players. 

Thats an intriguing idea.

52 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Ouch. I agree. The numbers don’t work.

I don't even know how that would work in terms of cap hit for us. I could be wrong but it would seem like the Bengals would be paying him to play for us with no impact on our cap space. It'd be worth the gamble for a 6th round pick.  

Archived