Combing the Combine for Collectable Contributors

vike daddy

a thread to discuss events relating to the upcoming Combine, we'll start with this from Spielman:

Spielman noted that getting a sense of how strong a draft class is in a certain position could sway what the Vikings will do in free agency. With the Vikings making some changes to the offensive coaching staff of late, Spielman said it’s been a collective effort between scouts and coaches to create a concrete offseason plan in Minnesota.

Spielman: “Right now, this is the time where you’re addressing and trying to identify what your needs are on your offense, defense and special teams. We’re also in the process of evaluating the potential unrestricted free agent market coming up. Also, looking at the draft right now. So you’re looking at all those different buckets and you’re trying to come with where the strength and weaknesses are of each bucket. I you need a receiver, is it a stronger market in the free agent market or a stronger market in the draft where you hold off in free agency?"

“The thing that’s a little different this year, is that with Kevin Stefanski taking over as the offensive coordinator and bringing in Gary Kubiak [as one of seven new coaches], we’re going to be doing some different things on offense. So the most important thing we have to understand, that with the new coaches coming in, what do they think of our players? Where do they see some of our needs on offense? And what type of players, as far as physical traits, are they looking for to help the offense? It’s a little bit different this year because you’re identifying your needs and where you need to get better, but now you have a whole new set of eyes coming in from the outside that are going to get a fresh look at your players, and how are those players going to fit into your system?”

https://www.vikings.com/news/rick-spielman-outlines-vikings-thought-process-for-upcoming-combine

8 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Spielman: “Right now, this is the time where you’re addressing and trying to identify what your needs are on your offense, defense and special teams. We’re also in the process of evaluating the potential unrestricted free agent market coming up.

If these comments are taken at face value shouldn't those things be done already so they can focus their attention on the combine? They would then use the information gained/learned at the combine to alter their Free Agency strategy?

I know I'm probably reading WAY too much into the comment(s), just seems odd.

26 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/combine-team-pressers-vikings-takeaways

Think this is what SemperFeist's post was referring to.

I think the ZBS will do wonders for all of the current offensive linemen, especially Elflein, O'Neill, and Easton (if he's brought back).  I think they all fit well in it...even Reiff will fit pretty good.  If they can be the 4 starters, along with a draft pick starting at RG, with Isidora and Hill as primary backups, I think they could be just fine.  

We already were, largely, a zone team; especially when Cook was in the backfield. 

Might see some tweaks to make it fit better with the Gibbs Wide Zone scheme that Kubiak is likely bringing with him, but we did already see a lot of Outside Zone with Cook. 

NFL scouts, coaches and GMs are terrible at identifying quarterback prospects, my colleague Josh Hermsmeyer writes. “All of this uncertainty makes the NFL draft extremely exciting: You never know for certain who will be good and who will be an absolute bust.” The single best college stat that does translate from college success to the NFL? Completion percentage. It predicts 17.9 percent of a quarterback’s NFL performance.

[FiveThirtyEight]

Archived