How would you fix the OL?

Trentwannabe

With free agency right around the corner and the draft following soon after, how would YOU fix the OL? What realistically would you try and get done and would you move Dawkins to Guard or RT? Does Teller stay on the left side? Remember, these players brought in the last two years were done so to fit the Dennison or Castillo run game. Daboll may have had some say last season but this year the Offense and OL are all his and Bobby Brown. They may see player X fitting somewhere else better.

Here's mine:
LT: Dawkins
LG: Spain
C: Morse/Rookie
RG: Teller/Long
RT: Jawaan Taylor or a Veteran like Daryl Williams/Juwan James

I'm with you pretty much 100% on every signing you have. I want Daryl Williams first and foremost. I think Morse is a great pick because Paradis is older and likely going to be the top dollar option. Morse can be had for less, is younger, and has guard and tackle experience (in college mostly). 

I think it's wise to keep Dawkins at LT to start things out. Say we sign Williams, I still think we should draft a tackle or guard in the first two rounds. Chris Lindstrom or Dalton Risner come to mind. I don't mind Wyatt Teller starting, I just think having one of the guys mentioned would be a big longterm and safer upgrade. I also really like the idea of taking Ben Powers in round 3. He's a wrestler, which McDermott loves, and an All-Academic First- Team member and Outland trophy semifinalist. Fits the mold of a McBeane selection off the field, and is a good prospect as well.

I'd love for our line to look like this opening day:

LT: Dion Dawkins
LG: Quinton Spain (FA) 
C: Mitch Morse (FA)
RG: Dalton Risner or Ben Powers 
RT: Daryl Williams (FA)

Meaning we would have spent our first round pick on the likes of D.K. Metcalf, Ed Oliver, T.J. Hockenson, etc. I'd be ecstatic with that. 

I want them to trade back if possible maybe to a team like the Redskins or Dolphins pick up an extra 2nd pick and possibly a 3rd rd pick.

LT Dawkins
LG Saffold/Teller
C Paradis
RG Long/Rookie
RT Daryl Williams/ Juwan James
TE Jesse James
TE2 TJ Hockenson with the trade back pick.

I put Tightends in there as both are capable receiving tightends but they are also key players when it comes to blocking as both may have to help out at times. 

Saffold 4 years 36 mil (25 guaranteed) essentially getting out after year 3 avg 9
Paradis 5 years 50 mil (25 mil guaranteed) avg 10
Williams/James 4 years 38 million (20 guaranteed) avg 9.5
James 4 years 27.5 mil (14 guaranteed) out after 2 years if need be avg 7

Giving the bills a total of 35.5 mil in cap space this year which will give them another 40+ to spend on other parts. Not to mention I want them to go after 2 olineman in the draft 1 during day 2 and the other in day 3. 

3 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

LG: Quinton Spain (FA) 
C: Mitch Morse (FA)
RG: Dalton Risner or Ben Powers 
RT: Daryl Williams (FA)

Meaning we would have spent our first round pick on the likes of D.K. Metcalf, Ed Oliver, T.J. Hockenson, etc. I'd be ecstatic with that. 

This is goals for sure. Risner in round 2 needs to happen.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

TE2 TJ Hockenson with the trade back pick.

I put Tightends in there as both are capable receiving tightends but they are also key players when it comes to blocking as both may have to help out at times. 

Saffold 4 years 36 mil (25 guaranteed) essentially getting out after year 3 avg 9
Paradis 5 years 50 mil (25 mil guaranteed) avg 10
Williams/James 4 years 38 million (20 guaranteed) avg 9.5
James 4 years 27.5 mil (14 guaranteed) out after 2 years if need be avg 7

Hockenson may even go before 9 (especially if he runs well) so I'm not sure we'd get him in a trade back.

I also think Paradis gets more than an avg. of 10. He'll be the highest paid C in the league when its all said and done IMO.

Juwan James would be another solid choice at RT if we don't get Williams.

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

Hockenson may even go before 9 (especially if he runs well) so I'm not sure we'd get him in a trade back.

I also think Paradis gets more than an avg. of 10. He'll be the highest paid C in the league when its all said and done IMO.

Juwan James would be another solid choice at RT if we don't get Williams.

Avg per year for the top center is 10.5 with him coming off an injury i could see 10 being the number he seeks even if its 1 mil more that still puts the bills with over 40 mil to spend on other positions. I also gave him more guaranteed then the leading centers in the league so it kind of balances out. TJ has definitely climbed the boards fairly quick since the end of college football Im just not sure a TE would go in the top 10 as they rarely do. Ebron was a waste for Detroit but is showing faith in Indy and he was selected at 10 the only tight end to go that early in 10 years. 3 have gone top 10 in the 2000s. Even if he has an amazing combine its one of those positions that are under appreciated which is why i think 13-15 spot is ideal for him but you may be right he may go at 9 if bills truly like him. All in all I think he would be a great piece to add for the oline in help if they answer the other positions in free agency.

I look at what I think our needs are first, OL, RB, WR, #2CB, 2 offensive lineman, DT, TE and then I look at free agent market and for the positions we could use an upgrade at, I really like the OL crop this year (unimpressed with TE market and a very limited RB market plus top end heavy WR market where I think even the decent guys like Tate, Tyrell are going to get way more money than they should). So for me, I would like to draft for WR/RB/TE and use UFA money for OL, #2CB, and DT.

That being said, I expect probably 1 bigger OL signing and maybe 2 middle of the road signings (including Spencer Long). For a young QB like this, If I had to pick between two OL with the same talent, but one is a rookie, and the other is a veteran, I would take the veteran. Veteran leadership on the front line where they can help out with declaring defenders, protection slides, guys who can take control and guys who Allen can listen to and absorb their knowledge.

I think Spencer Long will be our starting C with Bodine being the 1st bench spot for the interior line (LG, C, RG) so essentially I think Wyat Teller stays at LG (though I think a move to RG wouldn't be so dramatic this early into his career) and Dawkins stays at LT, so for a RG and RT signing.

I think RT will be the big signing, and Daryl Williams makes a lot of sense. Maybe Jared Veldheer.

For OG I see middle of the road guys like Chance Warmack, Billy Turner, D.J. Fluker.

Ultimately I think draft we should attack the skill positions, RB, WR, TE, while in free agency take on OL, #2CB, DL

I'm on board for tight end only in a trade back. While it's exciting to think we could have our Travis Kelce in Hockenson, 9 just seems too rich for me given the DL talent and Metcalf's potential there.

Trading back to 13 (Miami) or 15 (Washington) would be perfect, but like trent said, he may be gone before then. After his combine, maybe I'll get over it and be fine taking him at 9. Guess we'll have to wait until this weekend and see how he performs.

17 minutes ago, Maxmw22 said:

I look at what I think our needs are first, OL, RB, WR, #2CB, 2 offensive lineman, DT, TE and then I look at free agent market and for the positions we could use an upgrade at, I really like the OL crop this year (unimpressed with TE market and a very limited RB market plus top end heavy WR market where I think even the decent guys like Tate, Tyrell are going to get way more money than they should). So for me, I would like to draft for WR/RB/TE and use UFA money for OL, #2CB, and DT.

That being said, I expect probably 1 bigger OL signing and maybe 2 middle of the road signings (including Spencer Long). For a young QB like this, If I had to pick between two OL with the same talent, but one is a rookie, and the other is a veteran, I would take the veteran. Veteran leadership on the front line where they can help out with declaring defenders, protection slides, guys who can take control and guys who Allen can listen to and absorb their knowledge.

I think Spencer Long will be our starting C with Bodine being the 1st bench spot for the interior line (LG, C, RG) so essentially I think Wyat Teller stays at LG (though I think a move to RG wouldn't be so dramatic this early into his career) and Dawkins stays at LT, so for a RG and RT signing.

I think RT will be the big signing, and Daryl Williams makes a lot of sense. Maybe Jared Veldheer.

For OG I see middle of the road guys like Chance Warmack, Billy Turner, D.J. Fluker.

Ultimately I think draft we should attack the skill positions, RB, WR, TE, while in free agency take on OL, #2CB, DL

God i hope Spencer Long isnt going to be the starter at center that would be a tremendous blow for Allen. I like and agree with what you say that the veteran particularly the Center lets the qb know about the dline and how they move, so Long being that guy is scary to think about. They have to bring in someone above him if its not paradis im hoping its morse.  

No matter what happens the bills have to spend 89% of the cap this year in order to hit the floor, spotrac currently has them at 78 mil which would put there floor at about 69 mil to spend this offseason. This is taking into consideration Clay cut, signing of lorenzo and long already. If they keep every draft pick it is just under 9 mil to sign them all. Lets say they do sign Williams to 10 mil a year they will have 50 mil they have to spend not to mention the other 9 they have if they want to go the full cap. With 54 players currently signed , I expect them to stay at the floor giving them 9 mil to use through out the season if need be. So essential the bills will have to use it on a few more top notch players  which would be more then just a CB2 and a DT. 

I think we are in the perfect spot to fix the OLine.  We could draft Jonah, Little, Taylor, or Ford at #9. And we could sign guys like Williams, Saffold, Paradis or even James.

I personally would love to sign Ju'wuan James

Offer Rodger Saffold. If he accepts great if not we are in still in good position.

Trade down to mid range and select Cody Ford.

LG: Rodger Saffold or Cody Ford

C: Spencer Long

RG: Cody Ford or Wyatt Tellar or Ryan Groy

RT: Ju'waun James

Another option could be that we draft Jonah Williams at 9 and move Dawkins to RT or G.

There are so many options we can go with the OLine and I love it. And adding Spencer Long to the team already makes our OLine seem like less of a hole. Before his addition it looked like we were gonna have two sign at least 2 and draft 1 linemen but with him in picture we could get by with 1 free agent and draft choice.

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

@marshawn lynch Ryan Groy is a free agent and I highly doubt he comes back.

Also I would not be a fan of moving Dawkins for a rookie LT. Only if we snagged Trent Brown or someone like that in free agency.

I won't count bringing Groy back for depth and versatility purposes. You know Sean loves versatility. I just put him on there if Saffold doesn't sign then I can see us bring back Groy in that scenario. 

I'll gladly move Dion for Jonah. I think undoubtedly Dion played a lot better at RT then LT. He had his struggles at LT this season and I think Jonah will be more comfortable at LT over RT. I wanna put a rookie in a place they feel more comfortable when starting their career. And the fact that Dion has played better at RT makes this move pretty easy. Taylor from Florida however is more used to RT so if he is the pick at 9 then I'd leave Dion at LT.

41 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

I won't count bringing Groy back for depth and versatility purposes. You know Sean loves versatility. I just put him on there if Saffold doesn't sign then I can see us bring back Groy in that scenario. 

I'll gladly move Dion for Jonah. I think undoubtedly Dion played a lot better at RT then LT. He had his struggles at LT this season and I think Jonah will be more comfortable at LT over RT. I wanna put a rookie in a place they feel more comfortable when starting their career. And the fact that Dion has played better at RT makes this move pretty easy. Taylor from Florida however is more used to RT so if he is the pick at 9 then I'd leave Dion at LT.

When did Dawkins play RT? Genuinely asking because as rookie I know he played some LG but then started 11 games at LT as a rookie. 

According to his college website he started 1 game at RT as a freshman and the rest were at LT

41 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

When did Dawkins play RT? Genuinely asking because as rookie I know he played some LG but then started 11 games at LT as a rookie. 

According to his college website he started 1 game at RT as a freshman and the rest were at LT

Dion played RT when Glenn wasnt hurt and started LT i think it was 5-6 games but i do not believe the bills would move Dion to Rt especially for a rookie the 1st part of the year. 

Archived