Vikings are shopping Trae Waynes

TENINCH

24 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

How good is he? I liked him coming out as a sticky man cover corner, but thought his size was concerning. Could he be a #2 CB? I'd like the Browns to acquire another CB this year that is capable of playing the #2/NCB role.

High end #2....low end #1.

He's not an absolute shutdown corner like his partner Xavier Rhodes but I'd have no worries if he was MN's #1 CB if something happened to Rhodes (which it always does....)

11 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Nope. Good player. Doesn't really get beat and is a very good tackler at the LOS and if he gives up a reception.

I think he could even be a mid-level #1 CB next season as he's still trending upwards.

Then why get rid of him I believe is what he was asking in regards to his monetary comment. Niners should be interested depending on his price tag (maybe a 3rd rounder?).

People know me and know that I'm way more critical of DB's than any other position - because I used to be one.

And Waynes just has quicksand written all over him to me.  To man indicators to take the chance for me unless I've got A TON of money coming off the books between 2019 and 2020 and I'm able to get a sweet deal on him (which I doubt; asking price on a former 1st rd pick who hasn't really bottomed out is going to be at least a 3rd and change if not a 2nd or 3rd in the 2019 draft and a Day 2 pick in 2020):

- He's played his entire career opposite not only a lockdown CB1 on the other side of the field, but with, at minimum, plus-level nickelbacks (Newman, Hughes, Munnerlyn) and better-than-league-average (at bare minimum) pass-rush in Zimmer's defense.

- The times when he's been "the guy" with Rhodes out injured have been uninspiring, at best.

- He's already on his 5th year option, this year to the tune of $9M+ against the ledger and is going to be seeking in the $11M APY range in any extension, sight unseen as to whether he can be a CB1 worthy of that kind of scratch.

I suppose a number of teams will go back to their initial scouting of him and teams, probably more specifically in the NFC, will go to their more recent inter-league scouting of the Vikings defense.  But I don't know that I'd imagine the return most teams are willing to part with to be much higher than what Eli Apple returned the Giants - 4th and a 7th - and that was with Apple having another season of affordability against the ledger (plus the 5th year option still available) still available.

He’s an average cornerback.  Surprisingly he seemingly played better than Rhodes for us this season, but I believe that says less about his level of play than it does about how much Rhodes regressed.  I wouldn’t have a problem with us trading him because I think it’s probably better than giving him a 2nd contract

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

hmmm...purely monetary?

Definitely. We aren't going to be able to want to give him a big contract when we are already paying Rhodes what we are. He's a solid player. Doesn't draw as many holding/PI's as he used to, but he's frustrating to watch because he is usually in the right place but seems to allow a lot of close catches that seem like he could make a play on. Great tackler and very good in run support though.

With Holton Hill playing alright last season and Mike Hughes being a first rounder along with Rhodes and Alexander, our CB room is a little crowded. Not a bad thing, but we could try to cash in and get something in return for Waynes.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

Then why get rid of him I believe is what he was asking in regards to his monetary comment. Niners should be interested depending on his price tag (maybe a 3rd rounder?).

Ohhhh!

Thought he was asking if he was asking if I was labeling him as a low-end #1 based on his contract.

@vikestyle nailed it though.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

The Vikes have a lot invested in the position with Xavier Rhodes, Mackensie Alexander and first rounder Mike Hughes. Holton Hill even looked promising as a UDFA rookie last year. It's a numbers game and the Vikes are tight against the cap. They need to turn an asset (and position of stength) into a starter elsewhere. I think Waynes is worth a mid second. He's a good starter but he hasn't shown an ability to cover the #1 only (has been Rhodes job).

Archived