Vikings are shopping Trae Waynes

TENINCH

17 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Haha we're not trying to give him away. I think a third rounder might be able to get it done. I'd be happy if we could get a second.

I was partly joking.  I could see 3rd-5th round though because he's in the last year of his contract.  The Franchise Tag number on a CB is about $16M.  Ain't nobody want to pay Trae Waynes $16M.

So if you're trading for him now, a 4th or 5th round pick is realistic...

4 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I was partly joking.  I could see 3rd-5th round though because he's in the last year of his contract.  The Franchise Tag number on a CB is about $16M.  Ain't nobody want to pay Trae Waynes $16M.

So if you're trading for him now, a 4th or 5th round pick is realistic...

We'd probably be better off just riding it out with him this year and taking the comp pick next year if that's the case.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Rumor is Osmele from the Raiders for Waynes

Could be a good trade for both teams imo. From purely a value point of view, I rather have a mid-tier CB entering his prime than a high end G nearing 30.

Osemele used to be the best G in all of football a few years ago, but injuries and a change in system has really hampered his play. He hasn't been bad, but definitely not all-pro and worth the insane $ he is getting.

I for one would be on board with the trade. Raiders solidify their top 3 CB with Conley, Worley and Waynes, and the Vikes get a high-end G who should thrive again in a new system if healthy.

10 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Nope. Good player. Doesn't really get beat and is a very good tackler at the LOS and if he gives up a reception.

I think he could even be a mid-level #1 CB next season as he's still trending upwards.

So it sounds like its monetary then because you make it sound like he is absolutely a player who deserves an extension so the only reason they would consider shopping him is if they dont think they'll sign him and that would have to be because of $$$ or reasons you didn't mention before

I don't think the compensation is the issue it's the salary. Vikings probably get the same with the 2021 comp. pick but he has 9 million caphit and could field a 3rd round pick 2 years earlier. So Vikings get the 3rd round pick now and more capspace. There would be worse deals.

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Id love the Steelers to go after him to put next to Haden....since we suck at drafting CBs.

Do the Steelers REALLY suck at drafting Cornerbacks OR are the Steelers just so good at drafting WR's that the corners they do draft get their confidence shattered in practice? :P

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

Do the Steelers REALLY suck at drafting Cornerbacks OR are the Steelers just so good at drafting WR's that the corners they do draft get their confidence shattered in practice?:P

No, we suck at drafting CBs so bad that they give our WRs an overwhelming excess of confidence. B|

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Do the Steelers REALLY suck at drafting Cornerbacks OR are the Steelers just so good at drafting WR's that the corners they do draft get their confidence shattered in practice? :P

Uh, not really.  The last halfway decent CB that the Steelers drafted was Keenen Lewis. Cortez Allen was drafted the next year and teased a bit before falling along the wayside.  Prior to that it was Bryant McFadden and before that Ike Taylor. The elite draft picks of Artie Burns, Sequez Golson, Cameron Sutton, and Sean Davis (who plays FS). Not the stuff of lock down CB's, no passing zones, etc.  We were interested in drafting Tre when he came out of college, but the Steelers love of drafting athletes with good 40 times hurt him.  We would certain;y welcome him now.  I would offer a 4th and possibly be willing to part with a #3. 

hqdefault.jpg

This picture is how most Steelers fans feel about our CB drafts. :D

10 hours ago, vikestyle said:

We'd probably be better off just riding it out with him this year and taking the comp pick next year if that's the case.

It depends on what you see as your window.  Say he signs a huge FA deal and nets a 3rd.  Is a 4th or 5th this year better than that late 3rd in two years? That also assumes the Vikings don't sign any FAs to cancel out that comp pick either.  

Archived