Vikings are shopping Trae Waynes

TENINCH

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It depends on what you see as your window.  Say he signs a huge FA deal and nets a 3rd.  Is a 4th or 5th this year better than that late 3rd in two years? That also assumes the Vikings don't sign any FAs to cancel out that comp pick either.  

I'll also add that in the above scenario, the Vikings do get to keep Trae Waynes for the season over whatever draft pick that they get for trading him.  So if #3-6 CBs aren't ready to step up, it is probably beneficial to keep the player through his rookie deal and wait for the comp pick.  

12 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Rumor is Osmele from the Raiders for Waynes

I hope there's a more credible source for that rumor than Chad Forbes, because Forbes is known for just flinging fecal matter at the wall and hoping something sticks.  Dude doesn't have any actual sources.  He's basically PFT before they had the association with NBC Sports.

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Could be a good trade for both teams imo. From purely a value point of view, I rather have a mid-tier CB entering his prime than a high end G nearing 30.

Osemele used to be the best G in all of football a few years ago, but injuries and a change in system has really hampered his play. He hasn't been bad, but definitely not all-pro and worth the insane $ he is getting.

I for one would be on board with the trade. Raiders solidify their top 3 CB with Conley, Worley and Waynes, and the Vikes get a high-end G who should thrive again in a new system if healthy.

It's a trade that makes more sense for the Raiders than the Vikings, IMO.

I'm assuming that part of the reason the Vikings are entertaining moving Waynes is his near-$10m cap-hit on the 5th-year-option and them being up against the cap right now - with guys of their own they're trying to be able to re-up.  Osemele has a similar (if not slightly larger IIRC) cap hit to Waynes this season. Maybe the Vikings could extend Osemele after trading for him - because he only has one more year after this one on his current contract and converting '19 salary to bonus isn't going to gain a ton of space for the cap-suicide it commits in 2020, but they'd effectively be conceding a ton of leverage to Osemele and his camp, whereby he'd have all he needed to demand a minimum of $9m APY in his age 31-33 seasons.

Some Vikings fan on Twitter was trying to sell me on the idea that the Raiders would "eat most of the contract" in order to "acquire a starting CB," but I don't see why they'd have any real motivation to do that.  Gruden can be dumb, but he's not that dumb.

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Could be a good trade for both teams imo. From purely a value point of view, I rather have a mid-tier CB entering his prime than a high end G nearing 30.

Osemele used to be the best G in all of football a few years ago, but injuries and a change in system has really hampered his play. He hasn't been bad, but definitely not all-pro and worth the insane $ he is getting.

I for one would be on board with the trade. Raiders solidify their top 3 CB with Conley, Worley and Waynes, and the Vikes get a high-end G who should thrive again in a new system if healthy.

Would be a terrible deal for MN. MN runs a ZBS, Osemele struggled in that scheme. An expensive 30 year old interior OL who doesn't fit the scheme for a CB who's about to enter his prime who started on a top 3 defense the last two years. This trade won't happen.

16 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Nope. Good player. Doesn't really get beat and is a very good tackler at the LOS and if he gives up a reception.

I think he could even be a mid-level #1 CB next season as he's still trending upwards.

Sounds like exactly they type of guy we need @BleedTheClockeven though I like Terrence Mitchell a lot. If the asking price is reasonable, I would pull the trigger, I would also look at the Raiders and see if they were still shopping Gareon Conley as wll

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Waynes+ for DeCastro since we don't draft iOL highly.

What's the + we'd need to add?

Naw...if we still had Munchack, I might be open to that.  Cant afford to trade him right now since we have no one to replace him.  Marcus Gilbert is the only starting caliber lineman I'd trade...probably for late round value.

19 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes have a lot invested in the position with Xavier Rhodes, Mackensie Alexander and first rounder Mike Hughes. Holton Hill even looked promising as a UDFA rookie last year. It's a numbers game and the Vikes are tight against the cap. They need to turn an asset (and position of stength) into a starter elsewhere. I think Waynes is worth a mid second. He's a good starter but he hasn't shown an ability to cover the #1 only (has been Rhodes job).

You're not getting a SRP for Trae Waynes.  3rd round pick is probably the absolute highest, and even then I think it's unlikely.  You're probably getting an early Day 3 pick for him.

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You're not getting a SRP for Trae Waynes.  3rd round pick is probably the absolute highest, and even then I think it's unlikely.  You're probably getting an early Day 3 pick for him.

A top 25 CB in their prime who's still very young. I think he's very much worth a second round pick. 6-8 CBs will probably be off the board by that second round pick too. The only real concern with acquiring Waynes is the compensation. He is likely to get a top 10 CB contract on the open market. 

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

A top 25 CB in their prime who's still very young. I think he's very much worth a second round pick. 6-8 CBs will probably be off the board by that second round pick too. The only real concern with acquiring Waynes is the compensation. He is likely to get a top 10 CB contract on the open market. 

I don't think he's worth a 2nd round pick. 

Peters was traded for basically a low 2nd round pick to be (and a 4th) when he was a much better player than Waynes and with two more years on his rookie contract. Sure, he had the attitude problems but still..

3rd round pick seems reasonable.

19 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

Peters was traded for basically a low 2nd round pick to be (and a 4th) when he was a much better player than Waynes and with two more years on his rookie contract. Sure, he had the attitude problems but still..

Eh, I understand the majority would probably say Peters is the better player.

But I'd take Waynes by a pretty good amount. Peters makes a lot of splash plays but gives up way too many big plays (even before he was a Ram). He also cannot tackle to save his life.

Waynes is bigger and a sure tackler. Waynes is faster and rarely gets burned deep. I'll take these over Peters' splash plays.

And that is not to mention non-performance factors like behavior and health (both of which Waynes has no bad history of).

This isn't to say I think Waynes can fetch a better deal though, Waynes is indeed a much bigger name and for whatever reason that does seem to factor into trades.

1 hour ago, Buckweath said:

You think there will be better CBs in round two this year? Waynes is 26 so you're getting at least 4-5 years with him, just have to pay him top 10 money. 

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

Eh, I understand the majority would probably say Peters is the better player.

But I'd take Waynes by a pretty good amount. Peters makes a lot of splash plays but gives up way too many big plays (even before he was a Ram). He also cannot tackle to save his life.

Waynes is bigger and a sure tackler. Waynes is faster and rarely gets burned deep. I'll take these over Peters' splash plays.

And that is not to mention non-performance factors like behavior and health (both of which Waynes has no bad history of).

This isn't to say I think Waynes can fetch a better deal though, Waynes is indeed a much bigger name and for whatever reason that does seem to factor into trades.

I completely agree.  I think Waynes is a much better player than Marcus Peters.  Wayne’s is top 5 against the run and got targeted very often because most QBs would thro away from Xavier Rhodes.  Waynes can definitely be a #1 CB on another team.  Unfortunately for as good as he is he’s still the 3rd best CB on our roster behind Xavier Rhodes and Mike Hughes.  The only real reason for us to trade Waynes is if we are trying to open up cap space to keep Anthony Barr/Sheldon Richardson.  $9-$10 million is too much money for us to pay for our 3rd CB when we are already tight on cap space.  I don’t think he will be traded for anything less than a 2nd round pick.  He is absolutely worth a 1st round pick if signs an extension.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

You think there will be better CBs in round two this year? Waynes is 26 so you're getting at least 4-5 years with him, just have to pay him top 10 money. 

The whole issue is the 4 years of control with a 2nd round pick, and 1 year of Waynes at his 5th year option, and then even bigger money. The NFL overvalues draft picks so yes, I think a 2nd is out of the question

3 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I completely agree.  I think Waynes is a much better player than Marcus Peters.  Wayne’s is top 5 against the run and got targeted very often because most QBs would thro away from Xavier Rhodes.  Waynes can definitely be a #1 CB on another team.  Unfortunately for as good as he is he’s still the 3rd best CB on our roster behind Xavier Rhodes and Mike Hughes.  The only real reason for us to trade Waynes is if we are trying to open up cap space to keep Anthony Barr/Sheldon Richardson.  $9-$10 million is too much money for us to pay for our 3rd CB when we are already tight on cap space.  I don’t think he will be traded for anything less than a 2nd round pick.  He is absolutely worth a 1st round pick if signs an extension.

Didn't see nearly enough of Hughes to put him ahead of Waynes though he was good before tearing his ACL. The week 1 Pick Six was sweet. Though if theyre shopping him Hughes recovery must be on schedule.

Archived