Vikings are shopping Trae Waynes

TENINCH

On 3/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, vikingsrule said:

The cap is rising significantly and has been for years now. I don't think teams care nearly as much as they used to in having to trade for a player just to pay them. In two weeks, we're going to see a bunch of stupid FA contracts as half the league sits at $40+ million in cap space. 

The cap is rising, but so are the contracts - as you said. If the cap were rising and the contracts were stagnant, then you’d have a point. Teams would then be able to afford to be free with their cap space, but that’s not really the case. The teams with tons of cap space aren’t in that position because of the rising cap - they’re in that situation because of the lack of talent on their teams.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:15 PM, CWood21 said:

Trading Trae Waynes creates an additional $9M in cap space.  So you're either trading Trae Waynes and opening up a hole at CB (and correct me if I'm wrong, but Mackensie Alexander hasn't been good) OR you're limiting your ability to make any other moves.  You don't create one hole to fill another hole.

Alexander came into his own last year, but he is our nickel guy.

Trading Waynes frees up cap but it also shows a lot of faith in Mike Hughes and UDFA Holton Hill.

I think a team like the Colts makes sense, a lot of cap room and extra draft picks to offer. 

On 3/4/2019 at 4:31 PM, CWood21 said:

... especially in favor of trying to re-sign an off-ball LB (Anthony Barr) instead.

Adam Schefter✔@AdamSchefter

Former Vikings’ LB Anthony Barr intends to sign with the NY Jets, per league source. Jets get a pass rusher.

Archived