A Mock For the Common Man

vikestyle

I do not claim to understand the cap, nor do I want to put in the work to guess the numbers on FA deals in this mock. If some of the moves I make are unrealistic as it pertains to the mock, please let me know.

Players Retained:

Anthony Barr: Barr is a versatile piece to our defense. His play can be frustrating, but I think that's because most of us believe he is capable of more. Just because he hasn't completely fulfilled his potential doesn't mean he is a poor player. I think he explores FA but is disappointed in what he finds and takes something similar to Kendricks' contract.

Latavius Murray: Again, I think this is a guy who is disappointed in what he sees on the open market. A between the tackles runner who is 29 probably isn't going to find a starting job. I think we find a way to keep him cheap as a good change up and insurance policy for Cook.

Nick Easton: Him or Compton are pretty interchangeable to me. With news of him expecting to be cleared, I think he is a better fit than Compton for the scheme we will most likely be implementing. He signs a 1 year minimum deal.

Dan Bailey: Hopefully a UDFA is signed to compete as well.

Marcus Sherels: I don't think he will command that big of contract. Maybe Priefer tries to poach him, but they do have Jabrill as their PR.

Anthony Harris, Matt Wile, Rashod Hill, and C.J. Ham are all tendered.

Kyle Rudolph and Everson Griffen may restructure, but they are still on the team in my mock.

Players Not Returning:

Sheldon Richardson: Most likely him or Barr are gone, and I personally value Barr more.

Tom Johnson: I want to keep him around, but think he will find more money elsewhere.

Mike Remmers: Cut

Tom Compton, George Iloka, Aldrick Robinson, and Brett Jones also leave.

Other Moves:

Trae Waynes traded to the Kansas City Chiefs for 2nd Round Pick #63

• The Chiefs were so close to a super bowl appearance last year, but their defense didn't have quite enough juice. They trade for Waynes to pair with Fuller on the outside.

Adam Thielen Extended

• We use Trae's cap savings to extend Adam

NFL Draft:

The Minnesota Vikings Trade Pick #18 and #81 to the Cincinnati Bengals for #11

• The Vikings want to jump the Packers, and the Bengals seem poised for a small rebuild so they pick up an extra third in a deep draft

With the 11th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, The Minnesota Vikings Select:

Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

920x920.jpg

The Vikings get a dynamic, pass rushing 3T to pair with Linval and Hunter

With the 50th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, The Minnesota Vikings Select:

Garrett Bradbury, OC, NC State

Screen-Shot-2018-07-24-at-11.36.43-AM.pn

One of my favorite OL I have watched so far. It may be wishful thinking that he is available here. This may require an Elflein move to Guard, but Bradbury is worth it. He has the potential to be really great in a ZBS. Him, Elflein, and O'Neill on the right gives us an extremely athletic right side of the line.

With the 63rd Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Connor McGovern, OG, Penn State

57f71b3f2761a.image.jpg?resize=400,324

The Vikings get a road grater to pair with Reiff on the right side.

With the 114th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford

usa_today_10324943.0.jpg?fit=696,464&ssl

The Vikings get a rangy LB to work behind Barr who has the skills to develop into a 3 down LB and could help with TE coverage as well as be a great special teamer.

With the 178th Pick in the NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Greg Dortch, WR, Wake Forest

AP17259750852207.jpg

The Vikings get an absolute burner who could be their deep receiver and has big time abilities as a returner. A draft crush of mine, it may be optimistic to think he is available here.

With the 209th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Dax Raymond, TE, Utah St.

The Vikings get their token late round athletic TE prospect.

With the 247th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls

The Vikings take an athletic local prospect to hopefully develop over the next couple of years

With the 250th Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings Select:

Justin Hollins, DE, Oregon

Once again, the Vikings grab a guy who is dripping with athleticism, but will take some time to develop. He may be long gone before this, but I think his inconsistency could cause him to slip.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Not enamored with the return for Waynes, nor trading up for a defensive tackle in a draft like this one. I don’t feel it’s the best use of assets. 

Both very fair points. I think that is a realistic return for Waynes given he is going to need a new contract and really is a high end #2 corner. 

As for trading up for Oliver, I think he's a transcendent talent and thus worth the trade up, especially with getting the extra second to use on OL. If you don't see him as that, then I would agree. 

How do you feel about Bradbury and McGovern as prospects in this offense?

It's not bad. I agree with RpMc about Bradbury. It's be awesome but he probably won't drop that far. 

I'd legit be ticked off if we trade up to take a defensive player. For a offensive lineman? Sure. But not a DT. Zimmer has show to have insane skills developing raw talent found in rounds 3-5 that I think we can patch Sheldon's spot with one of those players by keeping that 3rd we'd lose to trade up.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:25 PM, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Zimmer has show to have insane skills developing raw talent found in rounds 3-5 that I think we can patch Sheldon's spot with one of those players by keeping that 3rd we'd lose to trade up.

Outside of Hunter, who have they developed?

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Outside of Hunter, who have they developed?

Stephen Weatherly and Shamar Stephen...with Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Ade Aruna and Tashawn Bower in the pipeline.  I fully expect Johnson and Bower to take big jumps this year.

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Stephen Weatherly and Shamar Stephen...with Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Ade Aruna and Tashawn Bower in the pipeline.  I fully expect Johnson and Bower to take big jumps this year.

I think you’re using the term developed very loosely. 

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think you’re using the term developed very loosely. 

Both Stephen and Weatherly were 7th round picks turned into key reserves here and a starter in Seattle in Stephen and potentially here in Weatherly.  I don't know how you couldn't call that "developed."

I have high hopes for the others.  They aren't truly developed yet, but are works in progress.  

Kudos for putting together this mock. I always appreciate looking at other Viking Fans’ ideas for the off season .  Seeing  trade scenarios, prospect analysis, and ranking, etc. 

i think I would like the Okereke pick more if Barr wasn’t staying (probably because I was putting together a mock with Okereke and Wilson competing for his vacant spot).   With Barr and Kendricks playing passing situations and Gedeon and Wilson also at LB, I think the position becomes less of a need. I like the pick, but was thinking upgrading another position might be even better. 

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Both Stephen and Weatherly were 7th round picks turned into key reserves here and a starter in Seattle in Stephen and potentially here in Weatherly.  I don't know how you couldn't call that "developed."

I have high hopes for the others.  They aren't truly developed yet, but are works in progress.  

Exactly.

That's why I don't want us trading up 7 spots to take a DT when we could potentially take one in the 2nd or 3rd, save a draft pick, and develop that player. And it's not like they're going to be a 7th rounder. A 2nd/3rd rounder should still have a boat load of talent which would make for an easier/quicker development.

If one falls to us at 18? That's fine as well but I'm strongly against trading up for one (or any defensive players for that matter....unless it's some unbelievable "How is this guy falling this far?" situation)

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is Elflein a better fit at guard than at Center?

I'd really like to see him be a key piece to our line but he was not good last season.

It is to be seen but what he was struggling with at center (getting physically beat) would seem to be an even bigger deal at guard. Elflein did play some guard in college but my hopes for him are more based off of him having a full offseason to work at it. I think that he has a better shot at center than guard but he was bad enough that I wouldn't head into training camp counting on him being a starter. I would enter training camp with him a top backup at both center and guard. If he ended up beating out the planned starter at either position it would be a positive.

On 3/2/2019 at 9:05 AM, Cearbhall said:

It is to be seen but what he was struggling with at center (getting physically beat) would seem to be an even bigger deal at guard. Elflein did play some guard in college but my hopes for him are more based off of him having a full offseason to work at it. I think that he has a better shot at center than guard but he was bad enough that I wouldn't head into training camp counting on him being a starter. I would enter training camp with him a top backup at both center and guard. If he ended up beating out the planned starter at either position it would be a positive.

He didn't just play "some" guard in college.  He was a guard up until his senior season.  I still believe people should just discount what he did last year because he had "zero" offseason to build his strength up, which is what is typically done after the rookie season.  Instead of doing that, he was having surgeries on both his top half and his bottom half.  The fact that he was able to play even at a mediocre level is pretty good.  I have confidence that he'll be just fine this year.

Archived