draft pick

chris

3 hours ago, Joe said:

You're right in that Big Ben's antics were the culprit. Ben needs to just retire and be done with it. He's becoming quite Favrian on that front though not as aggressive.

If you may recall, AB essentially replaced Mike Wallace as THE target of Big Ben after Mike Wallace wanted more money, made a stink about it, and then essentially disappeared. Like AB, Wallace was ridiculously productive for Pittsburgh until he got greedy. Different circumstances, but the same sentiment as he's heading out the door. That's why I make the comparison.

The only thing Wallace and Brown had in common was that they played in Pitt and caught balls from Ben Roethlisberger.  It's like trying to compare Bill Schroeder to Sterling Sharpe because they were both Packers that caught balls from Brett Favre.  I wouldn't call Mike Wallace ridiculously productive in Pitt.  His best season was a 60 catch, 1250 yard 10 TD season.  While good production, it's hardly great.  In comparison to Brown, you'd have to go back to when wasn't a full time starter to find that sort of production.  

Antonio Brown is one of the most productive WRs in NFL history.  Mike Wallace was your ordinary low end WR1 or high end WR2 that the majority of the teams in the league have on their roster.  Pittsburgh wasn't letting Brown leave until recently where as they had no issues letting a 27 year old Mike Wallace leave for nothing more than a comp pick.  

Between Brown, AR12 and Adams, there isn't balls to go around or enough space in the huddle for all that ego.  Brown's a generational talent but I don't see it being that great of a fit.  

The analytics argument for why you'd do a 2 for Brown, is due to how his contract would be structured if he got traded and if played for the deal he has right now, 12M for a top 3-10 receiver (for probably 2 years) is a bargain;

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Before this offseason 14 wrs make over 12M (and there will likely be more after some resigns, by this time next year, there will be 18-20), so his contract would essentially be an asset (maybe like 5M if you'd think he'd get 17M if he was on the market)

Any free agent we sign is going to be an overpaid "red" contract (you over pay in FA, you don't get value, especially in green bay... we gave Grahm a bad deal last year for example). We'd be paying 2-4M a year more than what they are worth.

The second we'd spend to give up has a wide range of outcomes. Ballpark handicap numbers;

15% injury bust- 0 value (-1.7M)

15% - can't play bust- special teams value (-1.2m)

40%- Meh backup guy who'll be off the team in 4 years like a Josh Jones (break even)

20%- solid starter (4M+)

10%- Pro Bowler (8M+)

Probably won't happen, but there's an argument for it (guaranteed good player at a reasonable rate).

9 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

You aren't swapping Brown for a Spriggs or an Adams or anyone else on that list.  You are swapping Brown for the second round pick AND a 10m Free Agent. Maybe you use that 10m to sign Kenny Clark down the line. You are swapping Brown for keeping Kenny Clark AND drafting an Adams, Spriggs or Cobb (hopefully the former )

Rodgers' window is closing and with him, the team's.  So sure... let's not get him an extraordinary WR who has shown zero signs of slowing down on the field.  

14 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

What's your point?  Plenty of guys on that list I'd take over a 31 year old Brown.  This year the Packers second round pick is 44.  That is higher than every one of the picks on that list.  

Not to mention 1 - singular - was picked by our current GM, and all of them were 24 or younger (7 more years), and none of them quit on their team, and none of them cost 12 or more million when they were drafted.  

4 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Rodgers' window is closing and with him, the team's.  So sure... let's not get him an extraordinary WR who has shown zero signs of slowing down on the field.  

Just like the team's window closed with Favre?  

Let's not get him a QB who got benched for the final game of the season due to throwing a football at his former QB, who has demanded a trade, who is a general POS and who will cost over 12 million per.

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Just like the team's window closed with Favre?  

Let's not get him a QB who got benched for the final game of the season due to throwing a football at his former QB, who has demanded a trade, who is a general POS and who will cost over 12 million per.

Does Kizer look like Rodgers to you?  If so, please let us all know.

We don't want Ben.  We want AB. Also, his interview showed that Ben is pretty much the entire problem in Pittsburgh.  Wait scratch that.  Lest I forget his enabling GM Colbert.

6 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Does Kizer look like Rodgers to you?  If so, please let us all know.

We don't want Ben.  We want AB. Also, his interview showed that Ben is pretty much the entire problem in Pittsburgh.  Wait scratch that.  Lest I forget his enabling GM Colbert.

You're telling me Kizer is the only QB we can possibly have for the rest of our team's history?  What you bolded, I meant to type WR.  I don't know if that's the confusion, but otherwise I don't know what you're talking about.

Half the things Brown did are inexcusable, Moss/Owens level diva status and you're blaming his actions - what he, himself, did - on somebody else.

What Brown said in an interview is obviously going to sound better than what he did.  It's him defending himself.  All I know is if he was worth having on a team, the Steelers would have tried harder to salvage it.  He's a cancer.

Brown did what he did.  Brown should not have done what he did. Blaming his actions on someone else is a loser mentality.

Am I the only one who thinks Green Bay should be considered a frontrunner to acquire AB? I understand the concerns (character, cap hit) and I'm not even advocating for it, but this is a win-now team with a GM who LOVES to trade (Randall trade, Hundley trade, Pipkins trade, HaHa trade, TyMo trade, not to mention all the draft day trades). Add in the fact that he seems to want to play here, and it would not shock me at all if AB is wearing green and gold next year. 

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You're telling me Kizer is the only QB we can possibly have for the rest of our team's history?  What you bolded, I meant to type WR.  I don't know if that's the confusion, but otherwise I don't know what you're talking about.

Half the things Brown did are inexcusable, Moss/Owens level diva status and you're blaming his actions - what he, himself, did - on somebody else.

What Brown said in an interview is obviously going to sound better than what he did.  It's him defending himself.  All I know is if he was worth having on a team, the Steelers would have tried harder to salvage it.  He's a cancer.

Brown did what he did.  Brown should not have done what he did. Blaming his actions on someone else is a loser mentality.

Of course I hope Gute can find Rodgers' successor whether it's Kizer or someone else.  But at the moment, there is no one to continue this run of QB play.  Rodgers has a window and it's closing altho I still think he can play at his usual elite level.  AB might be 31 but I believe he can play at his usual elite level for 3-4 years.  Perfectly matching Rodgers' timeframe.  We fix our interior OL and we might be the best offense in the league.

I just don't see last season being enough to call him a cancer.  Before last season, you barely heard anything negative about AB.  I remember when the biggest fuss was him kicking a punter in the grill.  I'm not condoning any of his behavior esp the off the field if it's true.  But demanding to be traded and skipping meetings isn't exactly out of control (stay off the social media tho, fam).  Side note: I'm not a Madden guy but I'd imagine he wouldn't have made the cover if this behavior were ongoing  over the last few years.  Not that Madden is the bar for morality, mind you.  I just saw the cover in the PS Store and it reminded me.

As far as blaming others, I didn't blame anybody.   If Ben is the problem and this is really how Ben treats his teammates all condescending and superior treating them like children, then that's a valid part of the discussion. This isn't AB in a vacuum.   However, his behavior was immature and unprofessional.  Absolutely.  I think the severity of it is being a little exaggerated in here (again- not the off the field).  AB doesn't want to play with Ben and I'm sure Ben is fine with that (and since when is he a princess?).  Their dynamic is the problem. Remove him from that drama (with Ben) and I can only imagine what a revitalized and hungry AB could do with Rodgers.  

This is like Khalil Mack all over again and for much less.  Didn't it suck watching Mack annihilate us week 1?  He may not have taken out Rodgers, but his play sure helped his DL do that and derailing the entire season in the process.  Watching him tear it up knowing he might've been ours sucked.  But that asking price was too much.  I don't think #44 for AB is too much.  A 3rd would be even better.  If we can get him for less then that, I'm all for that too.  He could have that level of impact on our offense.

For a third, definitely.  For a second, maybe.  If GB comes out hot and is winning, I don't think Brown will be a Distraction/Cancer.  If they're losing, then there will be issues.

"I've always said winning's the great deodorant, and conversely, when you have a bad record, everything stinks, and everything starts to unravel, and everything falls apart." - John Madden

9 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Am I the only one who thinks Green Bay should be considered a frontrunner to acquire AB? I understand the concerns (character, cap hit) and I'm not even advocating for it, but this is a win-now team with a GM who LOVES to trade (Randall trade, Hundley trade, Pipkins trade, HaHa trade, TyMo trade, not to mention all the draft day trades). Add in the fact that he seems to want to play here, and it would not shock me at all if AB is wearing green and gold next year. 

I haven't seen this.

Archived