BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

It's this time of the year.

For the new guys, you will find a list of items below that we need to rule on in the offseason. Application will usually be for next year, but I will try to specify it each time. Co-owners can vote, but there will be only vote per team.

Like last year there will be a 12h period to discuss items and a 12h period to vote on them (can be extended if needed of course)

I've tried to list them by priorities in terms of urgency. Feel free to PM me for any item I would have missed / you would want to add.

Roster Management

1a. Unlock ERFAs - Ted

1b. Allow the cut of locked sub500 players - Ted

1c. Allow the cut of players on 500-700 salary with 1yr deal left - Ted

1d. Reduce roster size to 60 - Ted

2. Waivers claims for IR replacements should be the same position as the player who landed on IR - Mike

3. Automatically remove retired players from a roster (locked & unlocked) - Mike

4. Create a Practice Squad system - Ted

5. Your annual 3UP rules review and update - DELAYED TO SUMMER MEETING

6. PFA in draft style with picks tradable, during draft only - SirA/Rags

15. 1st rounders will get 4yr contracts instead of 5yr contracts - SirA

7. Implement future 3ups. - DELAYED TO SUMMER MEETING

League Management

8. Create workbooks for PFA, Waivers - Mike

9a. Review league roles and responsabilities (guidelines and members of committees, rules workbook, roster guys ...) - Ted

9b. Create a rule workbook master that would update the rules workook as season goes on - Hockey

10. Cancel owners meetings and instead create a process to vote on a rule proposal all year round - Mike

16. Schedule realignment - bcb

Regular Season Management

11a. Reduction of the season (12 games reg.season + 3 playoffs) - Mike

11b. Clarify the rules of postseason availability - Mike

12. Reduction of the amount of playoff teams (from 8 to 6) - Whicker

13. Extend voting deadlines to Wednesday 11:59pm EST - Ted

14. Limit gameplan sizes to 500 words - Lukic

17. Proposal 17 - SirA

@Jlash @wwhickok @pheltzbahr @BringinDaPain @Whicker @Counselor @samsel23 @WFLukic @PR @Ragnarok @RuskieTitan @bcb1213 @MD4L @SirA1 @Hockey5djh @SwoleXmad

Edited by TedLavie
  • Like 1

Items 1a, 1b and 1c are available in the 2nd post of the thread. Item 1d will only be presented if one or more of those items pass.

Let's discuss! Voting opens tomorrow morning

Topic:

1a. Unlock ERFAs

1b. Allow the cut of locked sub500 players

1c. Allow the cut of players on 500-700 salary with 1yr deal left

Idea submitter: TedLavie

Current situation:

• Currently, once a player is signed to a new contract (draft, waiver claim, ERFA or RFA tag, FA signing), he is locked for the year and can't be cut or traded, no matter what.
  • You can cut freely players with a salary of 500 or less, only if they're unlocked
  • PFAs salary is below 500 (350 I believe). ERFA tags are worth $500 and last 2 years. In Shark Tank, you can sign veteran players who are BDL free agents to 1yr deal, starting at $500 (or $425 for undrafted rookies only)

Details of the idea: The idea is to allow owners to cut freely every player under $700 (1b & 1c), except players on longer deals (1c) AND trade ERFAs (1a). Ideas are independant and you can vote yes to 1b but no to 1c and 1a etc.

Argument for : I believe these three rules would allow us to mirror what happens IRL where NFL teams can cut without much cap consequences younger players who don't pan out or vets on low salary deals. It would give BDL owners better cap flexibility, and would help make season more interesting as we would have more disputed waiver claims and fewer teams who come in the playoffs with 4 OL as they would have been to sign some in waivers before.

Applicable on: Now

Possible alteration:

• Applicable starting only in 2020
  • Raise / lower the 700 limit for item 1c

Vote YES / NO / YES WITH ALTERATION (precise in comment)

I am a no on 1a & 1 B, a yes on 1c 

Trading players for Value should not be what ERFA is for. This is my opinion whether it's the actual NFL or a mock lg. Is intended really to retain quality Prospect players. As for 1B if you need to cut sub 500 K players for cap purposes you have much bigger fish to fry. I think that doing this will allow teams eventually to avoid having to make tough decisions about bigger contracts.

Now for guys that are on one-year contracts even with low salaries I don't really have an issue with allowing teens to cut them not always but often a lot of these players are just role-players and nothing more so the significance a player on the roster is absolutely minimal. Having said that because of that I do feel that teams should be permitted to make these are releases.

No I'm not sure I have seen anyone with even close to 60 players on the roster should it come to that vote I would be in favor of reducing the roster to 60 in acquiring some more methodical decision-making should teams begin to start carrying that amount of players

7 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

.. I have seen anyone with even close to 60 players on the roster ...

Just for reference, this is the lowest roster #s you will see during a BDL season.  Draft/PFA/FA/Shark Tank all add to the roster, but you just made an ally in SirA if you still hold that feeling.

4 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

Just for reference, this is the lowest roster #s you will see during a BDL season.  Draft/PFA/FA/Shark Tank all add to the roster, but you just made an ally in SirA if you still hold that feeling.

I do. I feel a lower roster count disallows (to some extent) teams to hoard talent and make tougher decisions.