Witten Ends Retirement - Returning in 2019

plan9misfit

5 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Witten/Hanna/Swaim 2017:

673 yards 6 TDs and probably better run blocking, even though we didn't have Zeke. 

Jarwin/Swaim/Schultz 2018:

665 yards 4 TDs

To be fair, 3 of those TDs and a good chunk of those yards came in one game against a team with severely lacking LBs.

As long as it doesn't turn into a situation where Witten is cutting into a younger player's snap count when he clearly shouldn't be a la Lee/Vander Esch this season, I'm glad to have him back. 

Meh, not sure what there is to say. I mean, in his prime he only caught ONE post season TD.

When he was younger he had a better QB (Romo), better WR (Owens) better players on defense (Ware) and the fricking team couldn't get out of its own way in the postseason.

Now he is older than Mathusula, 1 year removed from the game and they won the East and a playoff game without him last year. 

Will he cut into Jarwin and Schultz development? Sure, but he may also be a good mentor to them.

I guess its a nice luxury to have but I do not believe it really makes us THAT much better.

19 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Not sure what to make of this yet either. First question that comes to mind is how much speed if any has went in Lost? Well they certainly has a good feel for the zones he doesn't scare me down the middle and doesn't help open up the Cowboys like I hope Dallas would get. I also don't like the idea of getting Whitten may push the Cowboys away from drafting that stud tight end early and instead get another so-called average guy later in the draft. Well at least we can now focus on the best available defensive ends another position perhaps but still I am not sure what to think

See the source image

20 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Having Witten has never stopped them from drafting a TE in the 2nd round before. And his retirement caught them with their pants down last time. Now they get a do over. Hopefully they realize now they need to find his replacement. 

Yes your right about that. But its like backward drafting concerning the TE. Like when Witten was Prime and we really didn't need/use a TE when went and drafted them. Now that we actually really need one, we probably won't. It's my PTSD concerning Dallas and TEs.

13 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

To be fair, 3 of those TDs and a good chunk of those yards came in one game against a team with severely lacking LBs.

Witten's numbers over the course of his career have also received a more-than-slight bump from his games against the Giants

I love it. All-time Cowboy/NFL great. Good guy. Reliable. Leadership. Grit. Work Ethic. Football IQ, etc...

It is especially great because we don't have a 1st round pick. We need D-Line help early and often. So, having to try and find a late round TE that would be better than Witten would be really difficult.

Cowboys really should focus on DL, OL, and FS this year.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:27 PM, The_Slamman said:

To be fair.... I shouldn't have even listed Hanna and Swaim in 2017

1 hour ago, J Shank said:

I love it. All-time Cowboy/NFL great. Good guy. Reliable. Leadership. Grit. Work Ethic. Football IQ, etc...

It is especially great because we don't have a 1st round pick. We need D-Line help early and often. So, having to try and find a late round TE that would be better than Witten would be really difficult.

Cowboys really should focus on DL, OL, and FS this year.

Not OL, but I agree otherwise 

Archived