Witten Ends Retirement - Returning in 2019

plan9misfit

On 2/28/2019 at 11:43 PM, D82 said:

Funny I was just thinking the same thing.  If you get a chance to add playmakers and improve your club you do it.  I wouldn't rule out Eifert or drafting a TE.  Realistically while we love Witten's intangibles, we have to temper that with how much he has left in the tank and the future of the TE position.

4 hours ago, Northland said:

Funny I was just thinking the same thing.  If you get a chance to add playmakers and improve your club you do it.  I wouldn't rule out Eifert or drafting a TE.  Realistically while we love Witten's intangibles, we have to temper that with how much he has left in the tank and the future of the TE position.

Theoretically, but until further notice I fully expect to see Witten out there for 95-99% of the snaps again. It's just what we've always done. I don't buy for one second that he was signed to play "25 snaps a game"- why would you pay a 37 year old tight end $5M to play less than 40% of the time? That's not happening.

Signing Witten may not preclude us from signing Eifert or drafting someone early, but I think it would be a serious misappropriation of resources to sign another TE to a $3-5M deal (especially one that averages like 6 games a year) or spend a second round pick on one, when you consider what it'll cost to re-sign Dak/Zeke/DLaw/Cooper/etc. and how much depth we stand to lose at positions other than tight end (where you can always find backups that cost nothing) as a result of those extensions. But, that hasn't stopped us before.

2 hours ago, htfryar said:

I was just messing with you. We all post weirdly from time to time. Hope no hard feelings at my sense of humor.

See this is why you need to post more. Newer members can't read you accurately anymore.

3 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

$2m base for Witten, plus another $3m in incentives per Twitter.

Cheap and still not buying it. 

The plan is to get Witten and Eifert, both on cheap contracts. Witten is going to spend the next year coaching Eifert how to not be so damned brittle. 

16 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The plan is to get Witten and Eifert, both on cheap contracts. Witten is going to spend the next year coaching Eifert how to not be so damned brittle. 

I wish he had taught that to Miles Austin and Sean Lee as well. Ha ha.

Archived