Jason Witten will play for the Cowboys in 2019

holt_bruce81

Not sure what the cap ramifications are for this.  Per Witten's old contract (which would go back into effect), he'd be scheduled to make $5M this year plus a $1.5M roster bonus.  That said there are two things that I genuinely don't know how they'll be applied.  Witten never served the the 2018 year of said contract, which he was scheduled to only make $1.05M (having done a recent restructure) plus his roster bonus.  And speaking of that restructure, I'm fairly certain when he retired the Cowboys were charged in some compounding form (whether that was charged wholly in the 2018 season or over the course of 2018 and this season) of that restructure - where the money they'd proliferated over the lifetime of the contract was accounted for.  So they could/should receive some sort of credit to their current cap (if it were from the 2018 cap it would be the same as carry-over space) that would at least help balance out some of that salary this season.

I can't imagine Witten will be doing any serious field time. He will play plenty but they will continue to use their young bucks as well. I wonder if they will still look at Tyler Eifert because he was clearly on their radar.

Archived