Harper to Phillies for 13 years $330 million

Dingo18287

1 minute ago, Dingo18287 said:

Multiple guys reporting that it's 13 years with an opt out after year 3.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/phillies-reportedly-agree-to-sign-bryce-harper.html

1:52pm: The Phillies have agreed to a deal with star outfielder Bryce Harper, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network (Twitter link). The sides are hammering out the opt-out details, per Jim Bowden of The Athletic (Twitter links). Otherwise, it seems this agreement is set to be completed upon review of a physical.

1:57pm: Harper’s deal sets a new record, as Bowden first suggested. It’s a $330MM guarantee over thirteen years, per Jeff Passan of ESPN.com (Twitter links), with no opt-outs included.

2:02pm: There will be some opt-out opportunities in the deal, Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets, though a host of other reports have indicated to the contrary. Sherman says that other details remain to be sorted out as well.

4 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

This seems like a pretty bad job by Boras, no?

Horrendous.  He’s a washed up hack 

Bryce should’ve sat out the year.  Second best player in baseball making $10m leas than zack greinke.  ******* disgrace to baseball 

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

That's what I came in here to say. He turned down 30M annually from the Nationals for this? How does this deal make any sense?

The 300m had a ton of deferred comp I’m prettt sure he was only getting like $20m a year 

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

The 300m had a ton of deferred comp I’m prettt sure he was only getting like $20m a year 

Haven't looked too much into the details of Manny's contract, but is that the same case for him or is he actually getting the full $30M+ annually? And if its the latter, isn't Harper considered to be the better/more marketable player?

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Haven't looked too much into the details of Manny's contract, but is that the same case for him or is he actually getting the full $30M+ annually? And if its the latter, isn't Harper considered to be the better/more marketable player?

Idk.  I think front offices are valuing positional scarcity and durability too much

Bryce Harper can be Barry Bonds when he’s healthy.  How many guys in baseball can do that?  It’s absolutelt *** backward there weren’t 30 teams trying to sign him.

Archived