Harper to Phillies for 13 years $330 million

Dingo18287

Boras: 

"Harper wanted contract length, security and one team for the rest of his career. You want those things, you have to give back on some other things."

They had shorter offers at 45M/per - but Harper wanted the security.

I'm not crying for Harper. He got paid well. 

Just now, deltarich87 said:

Harper not wanting an opt out is shocking. Wow. So this is the last meaningful contract he'll earn

Honestly super short sighted

There will be another CBA in 2 years.  Why not take a short term deal at 45 per year and then sign something massive at 28-29? 

Could’ve gone somewhere fun like the Dodgers.  How he’s stuck in phill for the rest of his life.

34 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Horrendous.  He’s a washed up hack 

Bryce should’ve sat out the year.  Second best player in baseball making $10m leas than zack greinke.  ******* disgrace to baseball 

As a Nats fan and someone that has seen the majority of his career, he wasn’t even the second best Nat, let alone player in baseball. I’ll miss him simply because he was one of ours but Rendon, Turner and Soto were all better last year and he hasn’t come remotely close to his MVP season again. 

Just now, Leader said:

So.....

A life of absolutely no concerns for 13 years @ 25M per.
Not exactly shabby.

You're missing the point lol. He left a LOT of money on the table. 

Exactly 0 people were worried about him being comfortable with life. His comfort-ability was a foregone conclusion.

6 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

You're missing the point lol. He left a LOT of money on the table. 

Exactly 0 people were worried about him being comfortable with life. His comfort-ability was a foregone conclusion.

Actually I'm not....and apparently you've not read what I've already said.
I know all you folks are dominated by gross revenues and God-forbid if one penny of available money - or projected future money - isnt either spent on or secured by the player. I got that. But in this case, the player had a number of options avaiable. Shorter term with higher AAV - longer term at a lower AAV.

The player - not you  - not me - decided he was good with the longer term contract at the "below market" AAV of 25 per.
No more contracts. No more negotiations. No career ending injury concerns. Just playing baseball and taking generational wealth to the bank.

The player's satisfied. It was his decision.

21 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Bryce Harper probably took 13/330 over 10/300 with a better market.

He was willing to sacrifice marketability to make sure he could collect below market paychecks for the next 13 years.

Really makes me question his smugness tbh.

Hingsight 20/20, but there were signs that Harper was never smug:

• Left school 2 years early, and never went to prom (by definition not a winner who ****s the prom queen since he wasn't there tbh)
  • Voluntarily went to goddamn JuCo
  • Is a Mormon
  • Doesn't booze but grew up in Vegas

Just a very sad situation all around tbqh.

Archived