Harper to Phillies for 13 years $330 million

Dingo18287

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Actually I'm not....and apparently you've not read what I've already said.
I know all you folks are dominated by gross revenues and God-forbid if one penny of available money - or projected future money - isnt either spent on or secured by the player. I got that. But in this case, the player had a number of options avaiable. Shorter term with higher AAV - longer term at a lower AAV.

The player - not you  - not me - decided he was good with the longer term contract at the "below market" AAV of 25 per.
No more contracts. No more negotiations. No career ending injury concerns. Just playing baseball and taking generational wealth to the bank.

The player's satisfied. It was his decision.

The self-righteousness is a weird look. You'd say the same thing if he signed for $5 million a year I'm sure.

4 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

The self-righteousness is a weird look. You'd say the same thing if he signed for $5 million a year I'm sure.

Self righteousness? Dont see it. Just repeating what the player, his agent and the media is reporting.
If the player's happy with his deal - who am I (or you) to ***** about it? He had plenty of offers. He chose this one. Good for him. As you already said, he's gonna be set for life. Has ZERO career concerns. Whats not to like?

44 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Idk.  I think front offices are valuing positional scarcity and durability too much

Bryce Harper can be Barry Bonds when he’s healthy.  How many guys in baseball can do that?  It’s absolutelt *** backward there weren’t 30 teams trying to sign him.

Which version of Bonds?

56 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Honestly super short sighted

There will be another CBA in 2 years.  Why not take a short term deal at 45 per year and then sign something massive at 28-29? 

Could’ve gone somewhere fun like the Dodgers.  How he’s stuck in phill for the rest of his life.

Clearly the guy wanted to be a Phillie for the rest of his career. 330 million is plenty of money

1 minute ago, Knowledge said:

Clearly the guy wanted to be a Phillie for the rest of his career. 330 million is plenty of money

Everything we've seen has actually been to the contrary.  He wanted to be with ONE TEAM for the rest of his career.  Philly was way down on the list, but they were the ones ponying up.  

I can't hate the Ricketts any more than I do right now.

5 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

Or...Philly was the only team to offer him that long of a contract. Which is why it took him so long to sign the deal. He was waiting for teams to swoop in, no one did. 

51 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hingsight 20/20, but there were signs that Harper was never smug:

• Left school 2 years early, and never went to prom (by definition not a winner who ****s the prom queen since he wasn't there tbh)
  • Voluntarily went to goddamn JuCo
  • Is a Mormon
  • Doesn't booze but grew up in Vegas

Just a very sad situation all around tbqh.

Idk Corndog Romney is a Mormon too and he’s on the smuggest people ever

Your other points are quite reasonable 

18 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Or...Philly was the only team to offer him that long of a contract. Which is why it took him so long to sign the deal. He was waiting for teams to swoop in, no one did. 

The Giants offered 12 / 310. We're apparently willing to go higher, though not longer

17 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

He wanted to be with ONE TEAM for the rest of his career.  Philly was way down on the list, but they were the ones ponying up. 

You have evidence of this? Has either the player, his agent or some credible news source said "Philly was way down on the list?"
He met with them multiple times - ultimately to turn down other offers in favor of ending his career in Philly.

Damn. I think salaries have gotten too high and even I'm good with this. Especially if it's front loaded then it won't be an albatross at the end. My biggest question is if this is what he wanted what took so long for them to pony this up?

4 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Damn. I think salaries have gotten too high and even I'm good with this. Especially if it's front loaded then it won't be an albatross at the end. My biggest question is if this is what he wanted what took so long for them to pony this up?

He wanted it from the Dodgers Giants Yankees or Nats.  

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think Philly was "way down on his list" but I don't think they were his first option either, but the money and situation was right for what he was looking for. Now he can live in Deleware if he wants and pay no income tax.

I thought the point of making money was so you didn’t have to live in Delaware (or Philly for that matter)

Archived